PDA

View Full Version : Understanding edge routing

NetHog
11-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Ok, I got almost-success this evening :)

I created a pretty simple project (ok, wife created it) that contained 3 blocks of text, and an edge rout.

First attempt:
The actual carve ended up about 1/2 the size of the wood. Finally figured out that when it asks me "keep under rollers" I needed to say "no".

second attempt:
The main carving was pretty good, aside from the smaller text getting chopped off. Ok, so I need to make sure to keep raised text large.

Anyway, big issue, two actually:
(1) The 1/16th bit was used to rout the edges.
(2) The right edge (per directional conventions) was off about 1/2 inch, I watched the tool carve into space.

Regards (1), initially I wasn't surprised, then realized that (a) it didn't do the edge as I wanted, and (b) the reason why is because it had the wrong bit. I'm guessing I did something wrong during the initial setup of the machine. At the start, it asked me a question about what bit I have and I set the 1/16th bit. I guess here I effectively substituted the edge bit, replacing it with the 1/16th bit?

Regards (2), I'm a little confused what happened here?

Also, any tips on getting better quality raised text (gotchas etc)?

Dirtydan
11-21-2007, 10:42 PM
NetHog,

I would guess this is the cause of your problems.

Make sure the board you're carving is at least 7" longer than the board size you used in Designer. I always use a board that's 8" longer and 1" wider than the board size I selected in Designer. The only other option would be to use a sled, but that's a whole nother issue.

The machine should only ask you for the bits you selected in Designer when it's zeroing them out and when your carving.

Edge Route: What I do, assuming you are using a board as outlined above, is use the box icon to define your edge. Select the bit you want to use and set the depth you want. The default depth for the bit selected is good most of the time. Now select the Cut-Path tool, click on "Flip Cut" and then "Hide" and then "Accept"... Save it... and go carve...

Best of luck...:cool:

Ok, I got almost-success this evening :)

I created a pretty simple project (ok, wife created it) that contained 3 blocks of text, and an edge rout.

First attempt:
The actual carve ended up about 1/2 the size of the wood. Finally figured out that when it asks me "keep under rollers" I needed to say "no".

second attempt:
The main carving was pretty good, aside from the smaller text getting chopped off. Ok, so I need to make sure to keep raised text large.

Anyway, big issue, two actually:
(1) The 1/16th bit was used to rout the edges.
(2) The right edge (per directional conventions) was off about 1/2 inch, I watched the tool carve into space.

Regards (1), initially I wasn't surprised, then realized that (a) it didn't do the edge as I wanted, and (b) the reason why is because it had the wrong bit. I'm guessing I did something wrong during the initial setup of the machine. At the start, it asked me a question about what bit I have and I set the 1/16th bit. I guess here I effectively substituted the edge bit, replacing it with the 1/16th bit?

Regards (2), I'm a little confused what happened here?

Also, any tips on getting better quality raised text (gotchas etc)?