PDA

View Full Version : Holders for the bits / tools?

NetHog
11-21-2007, 10:19 AM
My machine arrived yesturday (yay!)

I see an immediately obvious issue on how to keep the tool bits safe and with the machine.

How have other people solved this issue?

Thanks!

Dale in Anaheim
11-21-2007, 11:03 AM
NetHog...

Welcome to the world of the carvewright/compucarve machine!

When I got my machine I was challenged by the same thing you now face. The first thing I did was take a small cardboard box that I had laying around, cut the top off and used it to stash everything I would need to have handy with the machine. That being:

Bits
Small Allen Wrench (You'll figure out later why one is handy, see this thread about vertical lockup (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4649&highlight=stuck))
Small can of 3in1 oil for lubing the Quick Chuck (which you will often see abbreviated as QC on this forum)
and anything else I thought I might need.

Then I realized that I didn’t want my bits rolling around in the box, possibly getting dinged up. So I quickly ordered the bit holder that is sold on the carvewright web site. It fits nicely on the side of the machine and attached with magnets so that it is easy to remove if you so desire. It has done its job well, it holds and protects the bits and keeps them handy.

Later, I realized I wanted the whole bit set, which also came with a holder, so I ordered that online and now I have 2 holders... but that is another story.

After some use, I have personally found the plastic bit holders to be inconvenient so...

Now I am working on a small cabinet to hold my machine. The cabinet will serve 2 primary purposes. The top of it will include a down draft section to help with dust collection which should prove quite helpful since the machine is set up to take advantage of that. Another feature of the cabinet will be a few drawers, one of which will be set up with a bit holder tray insert that will hold ALL of the machines bits (in their adapters) conveniently in one place.

The tray insert will look something like this:

http://www.routerforums.com/attachments/router-bits-types-usage/4120-router-bit-holder-bit-holder.jpg

except that the holes in it will be larger to accommodate the bit adapters for the machine. I will use the machine to make the holes in the tray.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new toy,

Dale

Kenm810
11-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Hey NetHog,

A lot for Folks have made storage stands for their Bits,
while other like myself store them Upright safely in a cabinet or drawer near the machine
and the backup Bits in their own original sleeves.
I guess it's what ever suits your needs the most, one thing I well mention is that most bits are lost to damage,
not always by the machine, but by the operator of the machine dropping the Bit.
The Carbide Bit are very brittle and can shatter if they impact on any hard surface.
So I find it best to put a small plastic tubing sleeve on each of them when ever their not actually carving.
---Plus those Bit are very sharp and can and will carve your fingers easier then wood if your not careful. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

liquidguitars
11-21-2007, 11:24 AM
you can order a bit holder case from Carvewright that works slick..
Only $10.00 I picked up 2 :p
LG

forqnc
11-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Wow Ken, no wondering I am having problems ordering bits, you seem to have stocked up big time. :p

Kenm810
11-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Several months ago there seem to be a rash of Bits diving into the project boards, -- and breaking.
Sooo I ordered a back up supply, just in case.
I’ve been caught to many times before like many others, telling myself could of, should of, better to plan ahead,
as I’m sure you know you know -- 20/20 hind sight sucks. Well knock on wood I haven’t broken or even dulled one yet,
--- did break the machine three times and had to send it in.

Well anyway my wife Barb says look on the bright side
-- if you think of the Bits as needles and I didn’t have them – I couldn’t sew.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif hmmm -- I’m sure there’s some logic in there some place.

NetHog
11-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks! I just spent this morning talking an old 36" base cabinet that I pulled out of the kitchen a few weeks ago, and making it into a table for the machine. I put a block of wood at the side with holes and nails to hold the bits (at least for now).