PDA

View Full Version : Is this correct?

cncwoodcarver
11-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Deleted due to responses.

Digitalwoodshop
11-20-2007, 11:00 PM
This Home Owners / Hobby Grade Machine is very "Hands On" in my opinion. You or someone will need to learn to make repairs to the machine like replacing the Sand Paper Belts or the X Gear that drives the Sand Paper Belts. Also replacing the Quick Acting Chuck, and cleaning and lubricating the Drive Cable and more.

Just a heads up.

AL

Jeff_Birt
11-20-2007, 11:17 PM
I spent quite a number of years servicing CNC machines of all price ranges and sizes. Believe me when I say that there is no such things as a plug-and-play CNC machine. No matter how big or expensive the machine is you have to do basic preventative maintenance. This includes keeping the machine clean, lubrication, changing consumable items (like the traction belts and installing new bits in the adapters). It's really no different in concept than taking care of your car (you wash it, change the oil, put on tires, get it aligned, tune ups and other items). Keeping the machine clean is the #1 best thing you can do.

The vast majority of problems that folks have with this machine are due to user error. I will gladly lump myself into that category. Just last week my carving bit came loose during a carve (almost 100 hours on the bit). I should have done a better job at checking that it was tight before installing it into the machine. Luckily, I caught it before it broke the bit. I am not implying that the machine is without problems, I think there are a few folks who have had several. The great part is that CarveWright stands behind their product and is there to provide service after the sale.

I think you'll find that the great thing about this forum is that it allows machine owners a place to share ideas and discuss problems. Naturally, people will write to ask about a problem they are having but almost never will they just drop a note to say, 'hey, my machine is still working fine'. That's just human nature.

Only you can decide what fits your needs. Just keep in mind that any machine needs to be properly maintained.

Dirtydan
11-21-2007, 02:02 AM
CNCWoodCarver,

Everything below is true. I would guess about 90% of all the problems are either user error or user induced.
Rule #1 - Keep the machine CLEAN
Rule #2 - Keep the bits CLEAN

I've found a quick vacmum during bit changes and a shot of compress air into the Quick Release Chuck (QRC) will keep you from having most of the reported user problems.

But as every Safety, Reliability and Design Engineer knows, some times things just happen. The trick is not to have it happen very often; when it does happen, it dosen't hurt any one or damage other parts of the machine.

It has been my experience that everytime I've had (or thought I had) a problem, the tech's at LHR (CarveWright) help me understand what I was or wasn't doing wrong/right and in every case but one helped me fix the problem my self.

When I did have to sent my machine back, it wasn't a problem... They paid for the shipping both ways and also upgraded my machine and replace a couple of parts that they thought needed replacing on their dime. Turnaround time at LHR was 1 day. 86% of my down time was due to shipping. I was with out my machine for about 1 week...

What I'm saying is that you would be hard pressed to get the same quality output from any other machine for three times the price. And it's not that hard to use... I'm proof of that...

Hope you join us soon....

Take care,

hray
11-21-2007, 11:09 AM
i will have say that yes you will read more about problems than mechs that work well but i for one that ther are more that well than those that dont yes it needs regular maint have had many great projects with mine still going strong

TIMCOSBY
11-22-2007, 12:27 AM
i had the same fear as you. i went ahead and bit the bullit and bought one and have had only one problem that was fixed with tightening two small screws and its been going strong ever since. going to go knock on wood now that i said that. it will do amazing stuff.

Hawg_man
11-22-2007, 04:34 AM
Thank you everyone for your input. I have read many post and quite a few of them are about the same problems. I learned a little more about the machine, yes some looked it was user error. Most looked to be common problems to the machine that needs to be worked out.

Tim Cosby was the only one who stated he didn't have any issues and I did find out the machine does have a limited service plan. I am going to wait taking the plunge, I went Sears site and found the machine on sale for around $1500.00.

Even at that price it still seems too good to be true! I will continue to monitor the reviews and when they are more favorable I might then buy one.

Thanks again for everyones help.

I hesitated about responding but............I'm now approaching my 200th hour and the end of my warranty and have only had a torn traction belt, my fault. I have been around NC/CNC since 1973 and have been amazed that this little carver can perform the way it does for the price it is sold (even at $1899). I am retired and putting out $2,000 was not easy but the pleasure and time I've received from my projects has been priceless. I guess I don't understand The CNC in your name if you take the input in this forum as mostly a negative
reflection on the machine.............this forum is full of craftsman and people who are sharing and providing a service to those who may not quite understand CNC equipment and what it takes to get great results. I know I'm sounding like I'm scolding or preaching but it's not intended to be that.......I am just one very satisfied old fool who has a passion for what this little beauty can do.

Bob

Ron
11-22-2007, 07:28 AM
I have to agree with you Bob.If this machine was'nt available I would never own a cnc machine obviously because of the price.Everytime i pull a part I just look at it in aw.This machine is remarkable.The results greatly out weigh the problems.

Dirtydan
11-22-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't think it was anyone’s intention to run you off, or throw rocks your way, but I think 99% of the people who own and use the machine almost daily if not daily have nothing but good things to say about it. A machine costing three times or more than the CarveWright/CompuCarve machine will most likely have the same problems if not more...

There's a saying "You get what you pay for", but when you buy one of these machine, I think that you actually get about four time what you paid for. This is the best BANG for the BUCK. I don't think you can buy anything better even at four times the price. Everything has limitations.

There is always the Epalog (spelling) machine... Laser machine... Starting cost is around 16K. To do carvings like the CC/CW machines you would have to invest about 65K, (Size[limited to about 24" x 24" x 1" I think] and Wattage to get a good 3D effect)

If I was you I'd continue to monitor this forum and don't just look for the negative comments, check out all the great projects that have been posted. The only limit on this machine is your imagination.

Happy Thanksgiving...

You know intentions are based on how they were received. The name I choose was random, I tried woodcarver but it was taken so I through in CNC.

I have not based my decision just on this website, there are many others. One being the Sears review of the machine. I am happy you have not had any problems and I am sure the machine can make some nice things.

That's it I really have not found any middle ground. Either the reviews are wonderful!.......... to don't buy this machine! I appreciate the passion, but please don't belittle me for being cautious.

Thanks again for the responses. I won't bother you fine folks anymore. Is there a function to remove me from the forum? If so please tell me and again thank you I appreciate the help with my decision.

Digitalwoodshop
11-22-2007, 08:35 PM
I think knowing and acknowledging your limitations going into the ownership of something as hands on at the Carve Machine is a really good thing.

I would never attempt to own a Hot Rod Sports Car with all the fun guys doing it enjoy. Building a small block engine from scratch would be fun but I know my limitations. A guy I went to school with in my area does it for fun and I was in "Awh" seeing pictures of what he did building the big motors with all the chrome and POWER....

With me, having a computer background, electronic background, Military Electronics, and Sony Factor Automation training didn't hurt. This is right up my alley.

I needed a board with slots cut in it so I could make a jig to sand Wine Rack rails. I didn't even consider cutting them by hand... I just drew it up and set it to carving. I made the jig this afternoon and I must say that the Carve Machine made it "Better"....

AL