PDA

View Full Version : using patterns in carved region

wlp
11-20-2007, 07:27 AM
Hello All,

I am having a little bit of trouble using patterns inside a carved region. I was following the 1st tips and tricks for creating a scene clipped inside a carved region. (BTW, I am very grateful for the new tips and tricks -- learned a lot! ) The problem I am encountering is, after running the project, the carving bit cuts into the side of the carved region were the patterns intersect it. (This is probably because the bit is tapered). When we ran it, it had no feather on the carved region.

I would like to set a feathered edge, without the patterns intersecting in the feather. When I set this up in designer, the patterns eat into the feather. How can I set a clipping region at the base of the feather? I have searched the forum for similar problems, but I have come up empty.

Thanks.

Jeff_Birt
11-20-2007, 07:54 AM
I have had this happen when the carve region depth was 0.25" or so deep. A little shallower and it went away. If that does not work you could try creating a second carve region (copy the one with feathering) and set its feathering to 0, and clip the pattern to it. While I have not tried this second method (just thought of it) it might do the trick.

wlp
11-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks Jeff!

I just had an aha moment. I kept trying to do what you mentioned and it wasn't working. This is what finally worked. I took the original design -- a carved region .25 deep and with plenty of patterns in it. The patterns were all set at "clip carving - inclusive" and the carved region was set to "clip carving -- none". I then grouped all of the original design. I added a new carved region with a feather outside the group. We adjusted the group's carved region size until it just met the feather. This worked!! Thanks for your help.

--- Bill