PDA

View Full Version : Compression roller adjustment?

Mikewiz
11-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Hey,

I thought I saw instructions on adjusting the compression rollers a while back here. But now I can't find it. I did a search of the forum whith no results and checked the archive and still nothing. I think my front roller needs adjustment, If I put in a board and compress the rollers the machine says compressed for both. but the front roller I can still move up and down on the far right side, and the back doesn't. Thanks for the help! Mike

Jeff_Birt
11-18-2007, 09:35 AM
First, a small point but it helps keep everyone on the same page. According to the users guide the key-pad end of the machine is the 'front', actually CW uses the term 'near'. I'm not trying to be difficult or a PITA, but a consistent description of the machine and its parts make it easier on everyone. It also makes searching easier as you can search for and find things a lot easier if everyone calls them the same thing.

If your compression rollers are not evenly touching the stock front-to-rear (keypad side to opposite keypad side) then the head is not level. Raise the head until it is almost to the flat spots on the vertical guide rods. Is there an even distance from the flats to the head on all four corners? If not then you will need to set the machine on its side and remove the bottom cover. Take loose the cross shaft that links the front and rear lead screws (that raise/lower the head) and rotate the lead screw on one end to make them match.

Mikewiz
11-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey jeff,

I checked for head level, and its level. The problem is the far end of the right roller when compressed moves up and down, and the far side left doesn't. does it need to be adjusted or is that normal.

Mike

swhitney
11-18-2007, 10:50 AM
NOT normal.... can you move it up and down by pressing it with the palm of your hand (with the machine cranked up of course!!) Not sure of the fix, but would check for impacted sawdust before calling LHR monday morning!

Jeff_Birt
11-18-2007, 02:40 PM
When you say it moves up and down, do you mean it is so loose that it is wiggling? Or, does it take a bit up upward pressure to make it move? It should stay firmly seated against the wood.

Mikewiz
11-18-2007, 06:04 PM
hey jeff,

It doesn't take alot of effort to make it move. I even put a board in the center of the machine and both the near and the far sides moved on the right roller, but the left did too but with more effort.

Mike

Jeff_Birt
11-18-2007, 07:24 PM
It sounds like maybe there is a spring missing on the rear of the roller.