PDA

View Full Version : Stencil cut isnt working

jimnjenny
11-17-2007, 06:14 PM
What am I doing wrong! I cut the stencil, I scanned it, I outlined it and set my depth to cut thru the wood. The border of the stencil is holly. When I outlined the pattern, it didnt outline the border just the inside of the picture where the stencil is cut. I uploaded it took it out put it in my machine and it started cutting out the holly which is leaving no wood. I reverted it and reverted it again and then it came up with the holly being cut out, but i dont want it cut out. I wish I could attach a pic of the stencil, but Im not allowed to post attachments. Senior members, may I post an attachment?
IN TEARS HERE! Jenny

Jeff_Birt
11-17-2007, 07:42 PM
You can post attachments but the must fit withing the size limits of the forum (and only certain file types are allowed). Check you file sizes and try again.

JOHNB
11-17-2007, 08:34 PM
of course you can post attachments. post the mpc. that should cover any size. let others look at it.

jimnjenny
11-17-2007, 08:40 PM
ok, ill have to figure out how to get the .mpc on the end of it. Thank you both, Jenny

jimnjenny
11-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Ok, I feel like a complete idiot. I'm not exactly a computer dummy but I sure cant figure out how to get an attachment in my message. Any help? Maybe my signature should be
"not a computer dummy but capable of it" :lol::rolleyes:
oh hey im not sure how to put the signature in either.

Thanks, Jenny
(not exactly a computer dummy, but capable of it)

jimnjenny
11-17-2007, 09:03 PM
just checking out my new signature!

Kenm810
11-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi Jenny,

As you begin to post, look down and you'll see Manage Attachments, click on it, and you'll get the Browse menu, find the file or photo you want and click upload, if the file is small enough it will upload, if it'as to large it will ask you to reduce the size of the file or photo. You can do that by sizing you photo smaller or reduce to the number of pixels per inch in any graphic program you might have. This is also about the only time you might want to use a Jpeg as they work well for posting photos. Check the size of you file or photo and correct it accordingly.

jimnjenny
11-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Thank you KenM, ok here is the stencil pattern that Im having trouble with.
If someone will scroll down to my original message to see what is going on and look at it and help me figure out what Im doing wrong, I sure would appreciate the help. Im sure its something simple, but none of this stuff is simple yet. Thanks, Jenny

jimnjenny
11-17-2007, 10:09 PM
doggonnit, its too small, ill try again..

jimnjenny
11-17-2007, 10:20 PM
One more try and thats it for the day for me.

jimnjenny
11-17-2007, 10:40 PM
im sorry, i cant seem to get the pattern from my designer, i think im just too tired. Ill try in the morning, Good Night, Jenny

Kenm810
11-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Hey Jenny,

Now you got it,

I looked at your Stencil cut, it might work,
I could only get the photo to load, and you'll need more work on it.
Plus I cut out a little holly in the corner just to see what it would look like.

Kenm810
11-17-2007, 11:08 PM
If you right click on a ptn file in your Favorites Menu , you'll get a menu that includes Export ,
I often move the ptn file to my desk top and then decide what folder or application I might want to use it in.

jimnjenny
11-18-2007, 06:04 AM
OHHHHHHHHHH WOW!!!!! Lightbulb's coming on. I used an exacto knife to cut this pattern before I scanned it. I think I have a better understanding of raising and lowering now. Also, I was telling somebody that my lettering was coming out bad...I was using the 1/16 carving bit....DUH!! Change the bit you big dummy!!

My understanding of raising and lowering--
raise--gets rid of the background and tells the machine to cut it out
lowering --gets rid of the picture and tells the machine to cut out the picture and leave the background

Am I right??

My next message on this subject I will use "techniques" and get out of the testing. Thanks, Jenny

Jeff_Birt
11-18-2007, 08:19 AM
The depth the machine carves at depends on the level of gray of the artwork, with Black = deepest and white equals shallowest (when you import the image you must use 'Invert' to counteract the invert it automatically does). I always suggest taking your favorite graphics program and creating a 300x100 pixel graphic divided into three sections. Fill one section solid white, one 50% gray and one solid black. Import this into Designer (remember to use invert) and notice how the shade of gray causes a stair-step effect.

jimnjenny
11-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Hi Jeff, I will try that. I downloaded Gimp but still trying to figure out how to use it. Have to learn the CC, then the jargon, then the editing programs. Ugghhh!!:shock: But i'll keep working at it. Thank you, Jenny

Jeff_Birt
11-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Try Paint.net, it's a shareware/free (consider donating if you like/use it) and much easier to use than gimp.

Kenm810
11-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Hey Jenny,

Let’s back up a little. -- If you have a photo, a copy of a print, or even just a drawing you can use graphic programs
like http://www.getpaint.net/index.html (http://www.getpaint.net/index.html) to take the place of your exacto knife to cut this patterns.
You can resize, move, or rearrange pasts of patterns, and are great for cutting out and eliminating back grounds
or other unwanted elements for your patterns.
Give it a try; with a little practice you’ll be amazed what you can do.
Here’s a simple sample.