PDA

View Full Version : muffler

TIMCOSBY
11-16-2007, 07:49 PM
do you really need to keep it on it doesn't seem to catch much and looks like the motor would be cooler without it?

Kenm810
11-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Hey TIMCOSBY,

A few folks have said they remove the muffler bag, and no longer use them. Other say they like the idea that it may help reduce a little of the machine noise output. Still others mention that any amount of dust protection is more important then just the noise. Myself I use a Down Draft Cabinet and vent the out let on the back of the machine with the aid of a little negative pressure directly through the top of my cabinet. -- So no additional noise and no dust venting into the air. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

liquidguitars
11-16-2007, 09:25 PM
The muffler will help with back pressure on the stock blower I would think, so I use it and the dust is very fine = bad for you.

I would like to see if a bigger bag would help keep some of the loudness down as a test.

LG

Ivanq
11-17-2007, 10:10 AM
If I keep the bag on I will get the CCM error every time. With the bag off the noise level goes up plus it becomes very high pitched - the kind that cuts right through your head.

jwhllh55
11-17-2007, 10:45 AM
I also built a down draft cabinet with a Squirrel case blower on the bottom. It really works good to keep the CCW empty of chips and dust, but the bag off the motor will not stay on. It seems as the temp in the shop gets cooler the bag seems to get smaller and fly's off when the motor starts. I have tried tape to make it fit better and it seems to work. I use to get Check Motor errors all the time, but since I have the down draft table installed, this error has stopped. I have tried putting a 2 1/2" Vac hose on the motor and that didn't do anything to help. I agree, that a bigger bag would help and a better fit or a snap ring or something to hold the bag into place would be my next step.
Thanks,
John's Wood Products

mtylerfl
11-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Hello,

I never use the muffler on my machines.

fwharris
11-19-2007, 11:11 AM
I picked this up from the guys at the woodworking show in Denver this weekend. I asked them why their machine was so quite and they showed me that they stuffed a rag in the muffler to dampen the sound.

This was from the man that designed the machine.....

mtylerfl
11-19-2007, 11:42 AM
I picked this up from the guys at the woodworking show in Denver this weekend. I asked them why their machine was so quite and they showed me that they stuffed a rag in the muffler to dampen the sound.

This was from the man that designed the machine.....

Hello,

Do you mean the rag was stuffed into the muffler bag itself, or stuffed into the hole where the muffler bag fits into?

chipseverywhere
11-19-2007, 04:38 PM
My carver is close to the wall so I ran a 2-1/2" flexhose ( removed the cloth filter and the hose fits over the muffler) out the wall and exhast out side in a bucket with a filter on top, big help in the noises and dust out. very little noise ouside

Kenm810
11-19-2007, 05:14 PM
My muffler filter bag has been sitting on the top shelf of my CW/CC parts cabinet for nearly a year now,
I bypassed it when I first built my Down Draft Cabinet with no increase in noise, and haven’t thought much about it since.
On the Plus side the bypass has been working fine, by taking advantage of the reduced air pressure created by the blower in the cabinet,
and oh ya no filter bag to clean. On the negative side -- ah -- I haven’t found one yet.

TCboy
11-19-2007, 05:39 PM
ken, where does that pipe run to? you gotta have it vented somewhere. and how do you clean it out? Im sure that you get some type of debris build up in it.

Kenm810
11-19-2007, 07:51 PM
The pcv pipe floats up and down with the machines rear vent, and freely passes through the surface of the upper collection chamber of the DD Cabinet where it is combined with the dust and chips being drawn down through the center of the carving machine. All of which is trapped by the filter panels and deposited in the lower chamber before it reaches the blower motor, which in turn releases clean filtered air back to the shop. About 25% of the air still under pressure from the exit chamber at the front end of the cabinet is recirculated back through the feed end of the machine by two additional pvc pipes and helps the air jet on the "Z" truck keep the dust and chip in suspension, so they can be drawn down and out before they can settle inside the machine. It works quite well, and so far after nearly a year, no problems of any kind with static electric discharge.

fwharris
11-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Hello,

Do you mean the rag was stuffed into the muffler bag itself, or stuffed into the hole where the muffler bag fits into?

It was in the bag! I was surprised how quite it was..