PDA

View Full Version : What to spend my extra cash on???

Joegris
11-15-2007, 10:38 PM
I am looking at getting either the complete bit set or scanner probe for all of my hard work :roll:

I am guessing that most of the routing with this machine can be done with the routers and bits I already have...Do the users here generally do that? The scanner looks like it could get my library going in a hurry...

Any ideas?

swhitney
11-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Router bits must be plunge style bits. I enjoy both the scanning probe and the complete bit set, but have yet to get the full value from them yet. Most of my carvings use the 1/8" cutting bit, and the 1/16" carving bit. Some signage made required the v bits, and ball nose bits. If you had to choose between the two, my choice would be the complete bit set. By the way.... what is "extra money" anyway????

TurkeyBranch
11-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Extra Money is what the wife won't let you have, because it always seems to transform into tools when you have it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I bought the whole package when i bought my machine; Machine, full bit set, scanning probe, 1 each extra 1/16" and 1/8" bits and the centerline text package.
I always try to buy all of a package when I buy the machine, figure I want to get the most from it. I take great care of my tools, but I will push them to the limits of their abilities.

Now, the probe is great and I feel it is a necessity if you are serious about the work you can produce. But I also think the bit set is needed. I have used almost every bit in the set. The ogee bits are really nice for edge work and I have used them for lettering as well. The joiner bit is great when you need to do glue ups, etc.

So I would probably buy the probe first, then go for the bit set as soon as you can.

Ed

Jeff_Birt
11-16-2007, 08:11 AM
The probe has the advantage of letting you unlock the probe editor software which is great in itself. I have really enjoyed my probe, I've been able to reproduce a few antique items with it. I have found that getting a good pattern is not as simple as just scanning it with the probe. Sometimes it can take quite a bit of work to restore/prep the original item to be scanned and then even more time to rework the pattern file resulting from the scan. The results are great though.

As for bits, I would like to have the full set but I have been purchasing them as needed instead.

TIMCOSBY
11-16-2007, 07:41 PM
jeff i found that in filters if i use no.2 on the smooth filter i usually don't do anything else. it just get rid of the scan lines i get in a "normal setting" scan.
i spent probably 45 min comparing the two on a board and changing to see what looked the best. qauntize puzzles me.