PDA

View Full Version : Making Wax models/art?

mosaic
11-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Hi:

I lurked in this forum about a year ago b4 deciding the CW was too buggy. I am not sure about how much improvement has gone on but I have a question.

Can I cut flat candle wax sheet (1" thick) with this unit? I want to create layered wax designs etc...Or would the bits chip & crack the wax?

Thx.

Jeff_Birt
11-15-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure about candle wax, but I use machinable wax all the time at work in other CNC machines. The tricky part is keeping the bit cool enough to prevent the wax from melting. Since the feed rate and spindle speed are set by Designer (not adjustable by the user) if heat build up was a problem you could add an air blast to your machine (I have already for clearing wood chips). The only other 'gotchas' I can think of are that you would need a sled to mount the wax to and the wax might tend to clog up the sandpaper traction belts.

mosaic
11-16-2007, 12:03 PM
What I want to do is to make models to do lost wax casting. Where might I locate the machinable wax and its specs.

Also, the wax sheet has to be on a sled of some plywood to prevent wax greasing the sandpaper traction belt.

The heat issue...shouldn't the bit run cooler cutting wax as opposed to wood?

Concerning your air blast system.....are you running a blast and suction ? A shop vac can give both blowby and suction.

Have you seen any systems running an air blast /pitot tube combo to operate as an air/atomised water blast?

thx much

DocWheeler
11-16-2007, 02:08 PM
mosaic,

A vacuum system pulling down throught the CW is primary, blowers inside the CW are secondary, both are very helpful.

A thought about creating wax impressions; if you carved a wooden object and then made a plaster/clay/whatever cast of that, you could then create multiple wax objects to cast from.

Just a thought.

Kenm810
11-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi mosaic,

This is one of the suppliers we use for Sculpting or Casting wax, Sculpting wax link (http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/Wax/Micro.htm) Here's another ArtMolds' CATALOG (http://www.artmolds.com/category145.cfm)

they a few specs. on their site you could look at.

The machined wax shaving and chips from the wax we use for lost wax casting has the feel and texture hard bar soap, and compresses into any crevices and can coat both plastic and metal surfaces, even though the original wax slabs are quite solid

By the way What size art object were you planning to cast, and what materials are you casting.

Plus remember the CW machine does not like water or moisture of any kind,
and only limited amounts of compressed air or negative pressure (vacuum) to remove machined shavings or chips.

Matt Carving Wax
These hard carving waxes are specially formulated to the demanding specification of professional wax carvers. They are compounded with special care to avoid contamination, pitting or air bubbles and they are accurately shaped to minimize preparation timeas well as available in three degrees of flexibility.
Green – Rigid; cuts clean and crisp, excellent for detailed carving or milling, Melt temperature: 230°F (110°C) Purple – All-purpose; easy to work,