PDA

View Full Version : Carving problem - possibly traction related

rim
11-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Hello All,

I'm having a problem with the machine keeping track of where the project is under the rollers. If I carve a circle, the work piece travels far too far to the right and not far enough back to the left to complete the circle.

Below is an attempt to carve a pattern. As it began to carve it was travelling far too fast so that each pass didn't join the pass before. However, once the piece was out from under the left hand roller the carving was perfect. It's as if the left hand roller is pushing the piece too fast...

Any ideas?

http://www.concertgananoque.ca/Images/Untitled-1.jpg

Jeff_Birt
11-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Welcome to the forum!

The sandpaper (traction) belts drive the stock, the rollers apply pressure to the top of the stock so that it will feed properly. At the bottom-front-center of the machine you will see a small brass roller with an o-ring on it. This is the board tracking sensor that measures the movement of the board. In order for it to do its job your stock needs to be flat, and square and not slick. It is VERY important for the part of the stock contacting the brass roller to be defect free.

If you choose to carve without choosing 'Stay Under Rollers' the stock can tip and loose contact with the tracking sensor. This will cause feeding problems and broken bits.

Also, there is no way blue foam will feed properly through the machine on its own. You'll need to mount it to a carrier board.

You might find a lot more information on carrier boards, sleds, and 'saying under rollers' by using the 'Search' feature as well.

pkunk
11-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Your wood piece needs to be 7" longer than what your design has for the wood if you choose to stay under rollers. You should tell us all the particulars-wood size, mpc file, etc if we are to be able to anylize the problem

TIMCOSBY
11-14-2007, 09:48 PM
onlt time mine did that the thickness was not uniform from one end to the other.

rim
11-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the responses.

The problem with the foam was just the most recent time I've checked it, but it happens with 1x9" pine of any length, even when it stays under the rollers. The only time it carves correctly seems to be the last two inches (which should be in the middle of the board) that end up running off the end of the board, as in the image.

It also isn't limited at any particular mpc file - even files that carved correctly when I first got the machine are now screwing up even when I use identical stock.

Jeff_Birt - I'll check the board tracking roller

Thanks all for your help,
Ian

liquidguitars
11-15-2007, 09:52 AM
check the carving bit in your QC adapter, it could be loose making the bit bounce up and down in the wood like shown.

LG