PDA

View Full Version : Removing Photo background

Max Gray
11-12-2007, 09:59 AM
When using a photo, how do you remove the background so all you have is the subject to carve?

weezimp
11-12-2007, 06:49 PM
You'll need some sort of image editing software to work on the image before importing it into the CW Designer. Adobe Photoshop is probably the best known and most full featured, but its also the most expensive. There's a "lite" version called Photoshop Elements, plus a variety of other software: Paint Shop (Pro) and Corel Draw are a couple I've heard mentioned here. If you have a digital camera or scanner, check and see if it came with such a program with the bundled software.

Essentially, all these programs give you tools to make selections on your image. Usually you make a selection of the parts of the image you want to keep, then erase or mask or fill the unselected background area with white.

You may also want to convert the image to black and white (greyscale), and perhaps crop it (if needed) and save or export it to PNG or JPEG format which can be imported into the CW Designer.

JOHNB
11-12-2007, 08:15 PM
http://www.getpaint.net/index.html
the free alternative to photoshop. it seems no one ever mentions this one? i love it. as far as i know, this one has alot of the same tools the other programs have. erase, blur, magic wand, merge, and best of all=layers...
although i never used those high dollar programs, this one is fantastic.

EDIT: save as png. for designer,,, save as pdn. to re-work later

Kenm810
11-12-2007, 08:43 PM
JOHNB,

I have to admit, I use it all the time.
It's a neat little bit of software that does the same
kind work that the big boys do,
and is a great starting point to begin photo editing.

Bubbabear
11-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Well JohnB looks trustworthy so this fat guy went and got it ASAP thanks a ton John

modelsculptor
11-13-2007, 06:00 AM
Hi

Another tool I used a lot and costs very little (zero dollars) is GIMP.

It also seems much lighter than PS and can do all sorts of neat things with it, as it is an Open Source there are quite a few add-on the Open community develop for it. Plus it is multi-platform, although I have only used the Windows version so far.

Check it out.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/