PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Buy

bobcarver
11-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi folks,
I am looking at buying one of the CC units. To you that already have them, would you buy one again if you could????? Please let me know.

swhitney
11-11-2007, 08:26 PM
are you speaking of the purchase of the compucarve... or of a probe for the compucarve??

menewfy
11-13-2007, 08:48 AM
i had one and then returned it for an exchange and ten returned it again. to help you make your mind up i would suggest you look at all the posts for the last week and do a pros and cons list

for each thread make one mark and see if it is someone having an issue with the machine or anything else if it has to do with the machine it is a con everything else is a pro.

then work out a % based on your findings and see what you come up with.

good luck

Jeff_Birt
11-13-2007, 09:22 AM
The great thing about this forum is that is gives us users a place to come and share ideas and look for answers when we are having problems. It's quite natural that folks don't post just to say, 'Hey, I've had my machine for 8 months now with no problems'; nope, you will hear from 10-20 times more from folks with problems.

Most folks problems are caused by user error, that's a fact. I whole-heartedly include myself in that category of users who cause their vast majority of problems. These user induced errors are mostly induced by ignorance; trying something for the new and not quite being sure how to accomplish it. But hey, that's how we all learn. ;) (I know it can be frustrating when things go amiss; I'm retrofitting an old Bridgeport VMC at work and it was really giving me fits last night. I reread part of the manual this morning and now have a clear head, and better take on the problem.)

The learning curve can be steep as for many folks, this is their very first exposure to any type of CNC equipment. Time and patience are two of your most useful tools when learning something this involved. CW/LHR has done a great job of simplifying and automating the users interaction with a CNC machine. They have brought the price and complexity levels down to within the reach of the average home user. (That's not a sales pitch, I work on/teach CNC,robotics, automation, etc. at the college level, an am well aware of the industrial 'norm' in CNC.)

Now, is the picture all roses? Nope. Have there been some machines with problems? Yep, there sure have been; you can read about them right on this forum. Does CW/LHR stand behind their product? Yes, 100%. They offer free phone technical support and do warranty repairs themselves (or they will send you the part if needed).

It is also important to read all the available information, good and bad. Download the trial software and users guide and get familiar with both (don't forget the help file in Designer). Then realize what the machine is. It's a great little 'home' sized CNC machine. CW says it themselves, it was not intended for commercial or industrial use. Your not going to run something this size 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. (Industrially this happens all the time too, someone buys the wrong machine for their application. Consequently the machine gets labeled as 'junk', when in truth it just did not fit the application.)

Just food for thought.....

IM2HAPPI
11-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Problem free with only 1 broken belt....operator error. I love my machine.
Barb

forqnc
11-13-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm retrofitting an old Bridgeport VMC at work and it was really giving me fits last night. I reread part of the manual this morning and now have a clear head, and better take on the problem.)

How true that can be, Jeff. I work industrial Automation too, there has been numerous times I have been so deep into troubleshooting, that walking away and coming back, with a fresh perspective, helps tremendously.

JOHNB
11-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Barb

only 1 broken belt in a year? WOW! how many hours? you gotta have the best machine out there. i love my machine even with all the repairs.

Kenm810
11-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by IM2HAPPI
Barb

Originally Posted by JOHNB you gotta have the best machine out there. I love my machine even with all the repairs.

I have to admit I’ve had my share of problems with my machine, probably as many or more then most.
After seeing and reading these posts, plus several others, both pro and con, as I wait for my machine to return from repairs in Texas for the third time.
Saying that,---as I see it, if needed I wouldn’t hesitate going out to buy another to replace it.

CNCguy
11-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Hey first time posting here. I have had my machine for nearly 8 months. I too am a CNC operator/programer and am very aware of the operations of CNC machines. For a home CNC the CW is very well put together. Most of the errors I read about on here I can relate to, Ive made the same mistakes. And thats just it, they were mistakes I made, by not reading instructions or not understanding what all was going on with the machine. And Im a CNC operator of more than 25 years! So that being said, I have to agree that patience is a big part of enjoying your CW. Ive found that once you find one "cool" thing to do with it, it snowballs into many other things to use it for.
Ive really enjoyed reading all the posts on here and hope this doesn't seem to wordy!
Im amazed at the talented people that post on here, and I feel unworthy to post. LOL

Kenm810
11-19-2007, 08:38 AM
CNCguy,

Just wanted to say Welcome to the forum,
and that we will be looking forward to your input and projects, and photos

IM2HAPPI
11-19-2007, 08:48 AM
When running great, stay quiet cause as soon as you do something will go wrong. I finally get to call LHR today. Hopefully an easy fix so I wont have to send it out.
Barb
PS still 2happi with it ; )

Kenm810
11-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Barb,

This ones for you. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

By Me

IM2HAPPI
11-19-2007, 11:02 AM
I'll have to carve that Ken and hang close lol thanks. Waiting for call back from tech, sound like my keypad is shot.