PDA

View Full Version : Shame it isn't made to cut metal

TCboy
11-08-2007, 02:27 PM
I know that this machine is not made to cut metal. That kinda sux bcuz i got some really cool designs on my laptop that would look awesome etched in aluminum. Found a really cool tribal/flame design that i'm wanting to try out on metal. Just don't look right in wood or plastic.

JOHNB
11-08-2007, 03:13 PM
i have cut alum. before with a hand router and carbide bit, straight bit for a rabbit joint. a thin cut with each pass.

TCboy
11-08-2007, 03:15 PM
i'm not the mechanical type. I more into designing it on the computer and letting a machine do it on its own. I dont really have the patience to use the "old-fashioned" hand routers.

oldjoe
11-09-2007, 06:53 AM
Alex
I am not sure this is what you are looking for but is it possible to cut the project on MDF and paint it to look like metal, I have seen some things done that look pretty cool. Just a thought

Kenm810
11-09-2007, 07:24 AM
Hey Guys,

We a few machines in the shops that can cut, mill or engrave metals, most have to have liquid or high pressure air to keep the bits on stock from over heating. ( Not possible in the CW or CC Machines ) But the main concerns are the metal chips or shavings, they ca and do get into every thing. Just one puff of air in the right or wrong place, and their into the gears, motors, and worst of all the wiring and circuit boards. Just one or two particles of aluminum in or on an exposed circuit, and it can be curtains for your carving machine. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif Please don't try it.

Just a little info