PDA

View Full Version : lube flex shaft

papawbummie
11-06-2007, 04:09 PM
I would like to lube the flex shaft but it will not
pull out of the head,i lifted up firmly as the manual
said and it would not release, Any suggestions?
Thanks

Kenm810
11-06-2007, 04:16 PM
papawbummie,

Give the Shaft a slight turn as you lift up on it, and it should pop over the ball bearing retainer.

Ps. Take a look at this post and thread it covers Lubing the Flex-Shaft pretty well Flexshaft lube (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3715&highlight=gunk+molly)

rjustice
11-06-2007, 09:17 PM
papawbummie,
Another tip for removing the flex shaft... by twisting the cable back and forth as you pull upward you may be able to get it to pop out...
It may help if you know how it is retained.... if you look on the top of the "Z" truck there is a "top-hat" part that is held down by a couple of small screws. (no need to remove these)... but around the top hat there is a flat clip that wraps around it. This clip is spring steel and is holding a small ball bearing in place on the side of the top hat... the ball bearing is resting in a groove that runs around the end of the Flex shaft.

The Ball is all that retains the Flex shaft in the top hat. To get the Flex shaft out, what has to happen is the ball bearing must push the spring clip outward slightly...

I had mine create a burr where the ball bearing rides, and it required carefully taking off the spring clip, and removing the bearing with a magnet, I was then able to twist back and forth for about a dozen times, and get it to come out of the bore of the top hat. I then took a file and smoothed out the burr at the edge of the groove... I put just a tiny dab of grease in the groove to keep it from wearing again, put it back together, and everything snaps in and out great now.

I would recommend putting a towel or something in the bottom of the machine if you have to remove the clip and bearing to catch the bearing if it happens to pop out on you.... also, rumor has it that a "BB" is the same size and fits perfectly...

Hope this helps...

Ron

signman9999
12-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Thank you Ron

Thank the powers to be that I found this. While cleaning my machine today I messed up and lost the ball bearing. Searched for flex shaft retaining bearing and found this post about the reported BB being the same size. I can attest to the fact that the BB did in fact fit and would be suitable in a pinch until you get another one. As to the hardness of the BB and the ball bearing I am unsure if it would be suitable forever.