PDA

View Full Version : intersecting patterns and cutting

Joegris
11-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Please look at the enclosed plan. I would like to achieve is a through cut where the circles remain linked. Something like the old olympic games logo. (actually for a pyramid wine rack) Is there a way to eliminate the cuts in the overlapping sections?

Thanks,
Joe

mtylerfl
11-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Please look at the enclosed plan. I would like to achieve is a through cut where the circles remain linked. Something like the old olympic games logo. (actually for a pyramid wine rack) Is there a way to eliminate the cuts in the overlapping sections?

Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,

I think you'd need to create a pattern for something like that to leave the overlapping areas uncut. I whipped up a quickie mpc for an example (go ahead and use it if it will work for you!).

Joegris
11-04-2007, 06:24 PM
That's exactly what I am looking for. How was the pattern generated? Software outside of the compucarve? I am very new with the machine, and appreciate the kind help!

mtylerfl
11-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I used CorelDraw, but you could do that in any drawing program. It was just black and white circles.

sch19
11-11-2007, 12:35 AM
I know I'm a bit late, but here is one that is all vector.

I'm new to the software and the machine, but I believe this this should save you some cutting time, and reduce risk of chip out.

To create this I used your outer intersecting circles as guidelines, to draw / connect 3 arcs. The vector tools provided in the software don't really let you cut the circles, so this is the only way I've found to do it, and keep it vector.

I didn't use the grid or any snapping, for more precision than the eyeball / shaky mouse-hand you'll want to turn that one when creating your guide circles and final arcs.

-Steven

EDIT: OMG! I didn't open Michael's .mpc assuming it was just a pattern, but now I see that he somehow got vector cut paths out of the imported pattern? How does one do that? And Sorry Michael, didn't know you already had what I posted! It seems that I learn something new every time I visit this forum.