PDA

View Full Version : Let's Do Some Plaques and Signs

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dirtydan
11-03-2007, 02:15 AM
Here's a place to show-off your Plaques and Sign designs. Thought it would be nice to keep everything together, so we don't have to go through every thread looking for fresh ideas...

Here's a couple I've done to get things started...

Let's see all that talent out there... :)

Dirtydan
11-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Just a few more....

rogone
11-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Dirtydan, in the last photo in your first post how did you get the CW to remove all the background and leave the edge work and lettering? I have been trying to figure how to do this but I'm new (have yet to carve anything) and have been unsucessful in finding anything on this by searching other posts. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

TerryT
11-03-2007, 10:11 AM
I humbly offer some of mine. Thanks to those of you that have created all of the free and commercial patterns.

Terry

TerryT
11-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Here are a few more. My wife does all of the painting, antiqueing and crackle finishes.

gtj44
11-03-2007, 11:15 AM
It's great to see all the great work others have created. Gets the mind working and inspired.

Here are a few I've done since getting the CW.

mtylerfl
11-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Wow! These are REALLY nice projects you all have done! Very impressive work.

Dirtydan
11-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Dirtydan, in the last photo in your first post how did you get the CW to remove all the background and leave the edge work and lettering? I have been trying to figure how to do this but I'm new (have yet to carve anything) and have been unsucessful in finding anything on this by searching other posts. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Rogone,

First you have to have a continuous pattern for the outside edge of your project. Right Click on that pattern and select Outline Path. Now click on the Cut-path option. After the path is outlined, click on Flip Cut and then Hide Cut-out and then Accept...
See Attached... I have to split the pictures up... There are 7 all together.

Dirtydan
11-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Rogone,

Here's the last two pictures...

Hope this helped..

Dirtydan
11-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Terry T,

That's some very nice work... :)

mtylerfl
11-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Hello Dirtydan,

The Schmaltz sign...did the CW cut out the shape and route the decorative edge as well...or did you do that with other tools?

Dirtydan
11-03-2007, 01:24 PM
gtj44,

Those are real nice. I've had a "Cobra" project laid out for months, but just haven't gotten around to carving it... Maybe tomorrow...

Again, nice work....:)

Dirtydan
11-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Hello Dirtydan,

The Schmaltz sign...did the CW cut out the shape and route the decorative edge as well...or did you do that with other tools?

The CW did it all... I stained the wood first with an Ebony stain, and after cleaning up the carving, added the Pine stain to everything... Wiped it all off right away, let dry and then 4 clear coats...

TerryT
11-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks Dan. You should see the knee high pile of rejects I had before getting anything that looked good at all.

TerryT
11-03-2007, 01:49 PM
gtj44,
I hope you don't mind, but I was so taken with your barrel signs that I had to try one (or two). I have several friends that are into wine and these will make nice gifts. Rather than trying to find the strapping and nails I chose to carve them instead. I hope you like my version of your sign.

Terry

rogone
11-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Rogone,

First you have to have a continuous pattern for the outside edge of your project. Right Click on that pattern and select Outline Path. Now click on the Cut-path option. After the path is outlined, click on Flip Cut and then Hide Cut-out and then Accept...
See Attached... I have to split the pictures up... There are 7 all together.

Maybe the sign is different in real life than it looks. When I look at the sign it appears that the "Schmaltz's" text is higher than the background. The edge of the sign and the design above the text also appear to be higher. If this is correct then the remainder of the sign (what I called the background) would have to be cut away to leave the text, design, and edge. I was trying to figure out how to remove the background on a project leaving the design, text, or whatever raised above the rest. Hopefully this is a clearer explanation of what I was asking. Thanks for your help.

Dirtydan
11-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Maybe the sign is different in real life than it looks. When I look at the sign it appears that the "Schmaltz's" text is higher than the background. The edge of the sign and the design above the text also appear to be higher. If this is correct then the remainder of the sign (what I called the background) would have to be cut away to leave the text, design, and edge. I was trying to figure out how to remove the background on a project leaving the design, text, or whatever raised above the rest. Hopefully this is a clearer explanation of what I was asking. Thanks for your help.

Ok, here is one that you can play with. The Lettering is raised, and the pattern is sunken. Save it first and then disassemble it into each element...

rogone
11-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks Dirtydan, I'll try playing around with.

gtj44
11-03-2007, 05:55 PM
TerryT, I'll have to send my barrel signs over to you, your painting is skills are excellent! If you need some strapping, let me know, I have access to plenty. I'd gladly send you some.
I'm doing another version that is vertical with a wooden barrel spigot. On either side of the spigot is open/closed. Turn the spigot handle to open or closed to indicate the bar is open or closed.

DirtyDan, the Cobra and GT signs were made for a coworker that's a big Ford fan.

They were fun to create, finding the right text and creating the graphics made it a challenge.

paulhoyt
11-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Here are two of mine that Im working on.. I still need alot of practice but hey I dont think they are bad for a rookie.

mtylerfl
11-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Here are two of mine that Im working on.. I still need alot of practice but hey I dont think they are bad for a rookie.

Very nice! Good job!

oldjoe
11-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Paul from the looks of it not much more practice is needed A+ on those projects. Keep them coming.
Also great looking Wine Tasting signs are you going to have cheese with the wine.:rolleyes:

paulhoyt
11-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks guys.. the scroll took 6 hrs and after five destroyed pieces it finally came out... my half needed it done for her classmates.. and this 50" thing is GONE!! but thanks again.

Dirtydan
11-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Very nice Paul...

Dirtydan
11-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Very Nice Kurt...

I'll drink no wine before it's time.... TIME!

Dirtydan
11-04-2007, 07:25 PM
This just out of the machine... Haven't clean it up any, but you can get an idea of what its going to look like... I was going to do it in Oak, but didn't have any, so I though I'd try Poplar... If you hear a bunch of @#$%* it is just me cleaning it up... ;)

rogone
11-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Here's a plaque I'm working on (design wise) for my 12 year nephew, the soccer star (the text was his idea). I would have included a picture also but I'm not sure how to do that yet. My CW went back to LHR and I'm waiting on it to come back so I can finally carve something with it.

Dirtydan
11-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Here's a plaque I'm working on (design wise) for my 12 year nephew, the soccer star (the text was his idea). I would have included a picture also but I'm not sure how to do that yet. My CW went back to LHR and I'm waiting on it to come back so I can finally carve something with it.

Looks good... Upload his picture to my website and I'll see if I can pop it in for you...

http://www.ddsf-ent.com/gunnywoodshop or email : TheGunny@ddsf-ent.com

Dirtydan
11-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Just out of the machine... Will clean up tonight... I'll start the finishing tomorrow...:cool:

paulhoyt
11-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Now THATS cool Nice work!

mtylerfl
11-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Just out of the machine... Will clean up tonight... I'll start the finishing tomorrow...:cool:

Dirtydan,

That looks really good! Nice design layout!

rogone
11-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Looks good... Upload his picture to my website and I'll see if I can pop it in for you...

http://www.ddsf-ent.com/gunnywoodshop or email : TheGunny@ddsf-ent.com

Thanks Dan. I'll upload one as soon as I can find one to use.

Dirtydan
11-06-2007, 06:07 PM
It's done..... Messed the finish up and had to strip it all off... It only has three applications of clear coat...so it's not as shiny as I would like it to be, but I have to get hot on my SVT Project. So, it is what it is...

Dirtydan
11-06-2007, 06:13 PM
I'll start carving this on in a couple of days. Getting the sled set-up now and fininhing up the SVT project.... First clear coat goes on the SVT project tomorrow... :rolleyes:

mtylerfl
11-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Sure looks great to me! Nice save!

Dirtydan
11-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Dirtydan,

That looks really good! Nice design layout!

Michael,

Here's the final product... Picture does not do the finish justice...:(

mtylerfl
11-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Michael,

Here's the final product... Picture does not do the finish justice...:(

Wow! That is RICH looking! Great finish. What stain and clearcoat did you use?

Dirtydan
11-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Wow! That is RICH looking! Great finish. What stain and clearcoat did you use?

Thanks for the "WOW"....

I used Minwax "Ebony 2718" wood finish. I flood the board and after about 1 minute, I wipe/rub the stain off (depending on the wood, I may repeat this two or three times until the lettering or other features get nice and dark). After I'm sure I've gotten all the stain rubbed off from the flat surface and the area's I want highlighted I let the wood dry. This might take 4 hours or a day... Now the hard part.... Sand off the stain, I start with 80 grit to get the big stuff off, use 120 grit to smooth out things and then finish with 220 or 300 grit. After a real good go over with the tac cloth, I start the clear coat. I use Minwax "Fast Drying" Polyurethane Clear Gloss - Spray. In this case there are 5 coats of Polyurethane; first two just covering the area, and NO sanding between coats. Applications 3-5 are sanded between coats and the Polyurethane is applied pretty heavy...to the point where you can look sideways at the flat surfaces and see some dimpling in the material.

I'm thinking about documenting my next project from start to finish and putting in on my website. It's going to be done a little different, I've already stained the wood and I'll start the carving today... After sanding, I'm going to use Minwax "Early American" stain to give added color contrast... We'll see..............

mtylerfl
11-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the "WOW"....
I'm thinking about documenting my next project from start to finish and putting in on my website. It's going to be done a little different, I've already stained the wood and I'll start the carving today... After sanding, I'm going to use Minwax "Early American" stain to give added color contrast... We'll see..............

Dirtydan,

Thank you for the step-by-step rundown of how you achieved that beautiful finish. I'm still in awe of it as I look at the photo again, and again...

Your next project you described sounds exciting! Hoping to learn another variation of a nice finishing technique. You do great work.

Dirtydan
11-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Dirtydan,

Your next project you described sounds exciting! Hoping to learn another variation of a nice finishing technique. You do great work.
The Werlin Project has started...

The Project is being documentated at: http://www.ddsf-ent.com/gunnywoodshop/project_werlin/

:cool:

ronk
11-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Haven't had time to post any pics lately, been doing Christmas for my kids. I'll post some pics of the clocks I made for them later. One of my daughters ask me for a sign for her home office door so the kids would kknow when she was with a client. I made this 2 sided sign for her. I'll be giving it to her when we get up there the day after Thanksgiving, along with her clock.

mtylerfl
11-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Hello Ronk,

Very, very nice job. Finish looks great.

Kenm810
11-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Hey ronk,

A neat useful project, nice work http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_surprised.gif
It's always gratifying to be able
to carve one for a family menber

forqnc
11-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Here's a few Christmas presents I have been working on. Hope none of the relatives check this site.

forqnc
11-23-2007, 11:16 AM
A few more.

Dirtydan
11-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Ronk,
Looks real nice. What material did you use???:confused:

Haven't had time to post any pics lately, been doing Christmas for my kids. I'll post some pics of the clocks I made for them later. One of my daughters ask me for a sign for her home office door so the kids would kknow when she was with a client. I made this 2 sided sign for her. I'll be giving it to her when we get up there the day after Thanksgiving, along with her clock.

Kenm810
11-23-2007, 11:37 AM
forqnc,

Really nice work – and prolific http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif
Please keep the photos coming

I like Sign two in the first post ----- words of wisdom http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Dirtydan
11-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Forqnc,

While they all look very good, I like the one on Hangovers the best..:p:p:p

Here's a few Christmas presents I have been working on. Hope none of the relatives check this site.

Dirtydan
11-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Do you all remember the Pin-ups???

Here's one for you...

IM2HAPPI
11-24-2007, 01:39 AM
One of my fav artist http://www.btinternet.com/~brmerc/elvgren/elvgren.html

forqnc
11-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Forqnc,

While they all look very good, I like the one on Hangovers the best..

forqnc,

Really nice work – and prolific
Please keep the photos coming

I like Sign two in the first post ----- words of wisdom

:D Thanks guy's

yatrgatr
11-24-2007, 09:58 AM
after getting the machine back from texas, this is the second success.

Kenm810
11-24-2007, 10:15 AM
yatrgatr,

Fine project, and Great words to remember.

Thanks for sharing

mtylerfl
11-24-2007, 03:04 PM
after getting the machine back from texas, this is the second success.

Hello yatrgatr,

Very nice work...the lettering is superb!

Dirtydan
11-28-2007, 04:53 AM
Up coming project in Purple Heart Wood... I might have to add a little Gold and White paint... We'll see how it comes out of the machine...

Choice of wood seems to fit the project...

Weg's
12-03-2007, 12:19 AM
7594 My neighbors Christmas present. Hope he likes it?

Kenm810
12-03-2007, 07:36 AM
Hey Weg's,

Welcome to the forum,
I'm sure your neighbor will appreciate your Christmas gift
I really like the Text treatment on the numbers, looks neat.

Dirtydan
12-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Had some extra corian around so I though I'd try this out...:cool:

BobHill
12-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Barb,
Those remind me a lot of George Petty's Petty Girl art (1894-1975) of the 1940's, or that of Alberto Vargas' Vargas Girls pin ups (1896-1982) of the same period. Great stuff and often found on the nose art of U.S.Army Air Corps aircraft of the time.
Bob

mtylerfl
12-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Had some extra corian around so I though I'd try this out...:cool:

Those look really good! I'm gonna have to unbox my Corian!

ronk
12-10-2007, 08:58 AM
Ronk,
Looks real nice. What material did you use???:confused:

Dan,
This was done in clear pine. Unless it is a really special project I work in pine.
I'm retired so don't have a whole lot of money to spend on 'exotic' woods.

Ron

ronk
12-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Dan,

A few more. Bill's Barber shop was done for a friend of mine when he moved into a new shop. (haven't paid for a haircut since). The Snyder plaque was a housewarming gift from his brother. The Ron & Linda plaque was for my wife. The Scrappy plaque was for me as a memorial to my Pomeranian companion of 14 1/2 years.

Ron

Dirtydan
12-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Those are all very nice... Looks line Pine is your wood of choice. Good job..

Dan,

A few more. Bill's Barber shop was done for a friend of mine when he moved into a new shop. (haven't paid for a haircut since). The Snyder plaque was a housewarming gift from his brother. The Ron & Linda plaque was for my wife. The Scrappy plaque was for me as a memorial to my Pomeranian companion of 14 1/2 years.

Ron

Dirtydan
12-13-2007, 02:38 AM
Wish I could have gotten these better, but didn't have much to work with... (Art or mind)

Dirtydan
12-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Here's a couple of plaques I'm working on... Still doing some clean-up on the graphics, but though some of you might want to play with these...

Dirtydan
12-20-2007, 12:33 AM
In-house Sign

Dirtydan
12-26-2007, 05:51 PM
This is going to be a Lithophane...

mtylerfl
12-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Hello Dirtydan,

That's going to come out real nice...can't wait to see a pic of the litho when you're done!

yatrgatr
01-06-2008, 07:07 PM
here are 2 of my latest plaques.

mtylerfl
01-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Hello yatrgatr,

Great job - excellent paint techniques!

Dirtydan
01-06-2008, 07:23 PM

Interesting FTMC for sure... What did you carve it on???

The Pack is Back...:D Go Green Bay...

Nice work... keep it up..

Dirtydan
01-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Hello Dirtydan,

That's going to come out real nice...can't wait to see a pic of the litho when you're done!

Michael,

I did both patterns, haven't finished the picture frame version yet, but here's the dish frame version...

yatrgatr
01-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Interesting FTMC for sure... What did you carve it on???

The Pack is Back...:D Go Green Bay...

Nice work... keep it up..

Both carved in MDF Packers .75" FTMC .5" it's messy so I vacuum often.

mtylerfl
01-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Michael,

I did both patterns, haven't finished the picture frame version yet, but here's the dish frame version...

Hello Dirtydan,

Boy, those came out beautifully! Gorgeous work!

Kenm810
01-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Still waiting,
I have several projects just longing to be carved,
But it’s been mighty quiet around the shop without my CW Dust and Chip maker humming along in the corner.
And the DD Cabinet is starting look pretty lonesome and neglected with out its noisy playmate to share the day with. KLF-DP.mp3 (http://KLF-DP.mp3)

Dirtydan
01-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Those look real nice Ken...

I've been down for about a week now and just got the toy back up and running... Project is due Friday night... So I'm busting Butt...

Here's a picture of it after a little clean-up, still needs a lot more and the second picture is what I hope it will end up looking like when I'm done...

Still waiting,
I have several projects just longing to be carved,
But it’s been mighty quiet around the shop without my CW Dust and Chip maker humming along in the corner.
And the DD Cabinet is starting look pretty lonesome and neglected with out its noisy playmate to share the day with. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Kenm810
01-23-2008, 09:14 PM
I know what you mean, I've been playing catch-up all week.

Really nice detail on your Plaque, the photo is great
And I'm Glad to see your up and carving again.

Gotta make them Due Dates http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

RanUtah
01-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Dan, is that barbed wire plaque available in a blank? Nice job BTW!

badger
01-23-2008, 11:06 PM
I beleive ive seen the barb wire alone in the pattern depot.

Ron
01-24-2008, 05:20 AM
I love hte barbed wire Dan ,nice job.Where did you ever find it??

Dirtydan
01-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Badger,

Your correct, I got it at the CW Pattern Store...

Well, back to the pit.. I've only got today and tomorrow to finish that projcet... So, I'll be slaving away sanding and fininhing the next two days...

Thanks for all the comments everyone... For everones info, I set the depth on everything at 0.125" on this project...

I beleive ive seen the barb wire alone in the pattern depot.

LittleRedWoodshop
01-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Wish I could have gotten these better, but didn't have much to work with... (Art or mind)

This is a carving that intend to do for my older brother, he is a Marine. Sorry I was Army. I haven't carved it yet but it looks good in the software. But we all know that can change when you put it to wood

Marine Corp Carving (http://tallented.hypermart.net/mc.zip)

www.LittleRedWoodshop.com (http://www.LittleRedWoodshop.com)

Dirtydan
01-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks, those are a lot better than what I used... Nice Job Too.... :D

This is a carving that intend to do for my older brother, he is a Marine. Sorry I was Army. I haven't carved it yet but it looks good in the software. But we all know that can change when you put it to wood

Marine Corp Carving (http://tallented.hypermart.net/mc.zip)

Dirtydan
01-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Well here it is... I still have to apply one more clear coat, but I wont have time to take a picture of the finished product before it's picked up, so here it is.... Before and After...

Dirtydan
01-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Two different styles and stains... Don't know which I like the best....kinda going with the dark one...Hmmmmmmmmmm:rolleyes:

andes
01-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Dirtydan,

I think the lighter stain Plaque is better; it seems to bring out the letters better. That's just my two cents ;-}

Andes

LittleRedWoodshop
01-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks, those are a lot better than what I used... Nice Job Too.... :D

Let me know how it comes out...if you need any help cleaning up images just let me know...

Jason

http:/LittleRedWoodshop.com (http://www.littleredwoodshop.com)

Dirtydan
02-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Has any one used Sign-board yet??? I just punched out a test carving for my grandsons room and it came out pretty good.

Is there any special tricks to finishing it? On my test run (See Attached) I pre-stained the board before carving... Trouble is, all that fine dust gets into everything. I'm thinking maybe I should have stained and sealed before carving. Idea's anyone?????

Kenm810
02-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Hi Dan,

The Sign Foam is neat to carve on the CW or CC machine,
I really haven’t had a bad one yet. I’ve found if I color or stain
the project and spray it with a coat of sanding sealer, before I carve it
I have better luck keeping the fine dust from sticking to the project,
and makes it a much easer job removing the dust with compressed air,
before doing the rest of the staining or painting and finishing.
By the way watch your filters, the Sign Foam’s fine dust
can load them up fast after one or two carvings.

Dirtydan
02-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks Ken,

I'm off to get some "Sanding Sealer". I assume I can get it at Home Depot or Woodcraft...

My dust collector did a pretty good job of getting all the fine dust, except for the surface stuff which the rollers managed to press down into the board.

Thanks again,

newcarver
02-01-2008, 05:54 PM
ive looked in a few spots but havnt found a good spot to buy it yet, any ideas?

Ken Massingale
02-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Where is Sign Foam sold, Ken?
Thanks
ken

Dave-Carve
02-01-2008, 06:16 PM
I Carved this one about 5 months ago ... Remember (Red over star field among a few others ). I carved it in older program cant rember which one think it was 1.023 ??? I Still have the MPC and Picture if you want it??

Oh Come On I Know you can remember

hotpop
02-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Go to www.signfoam.com or call 800-338-4030. They have a listing of their distributors listed by state.

Beware! That stuff is really expensive.

Kenm810
02-01-2008, 06:56 PM
If you call or email them, they’ll send you all the info along with a sample to carve in your machine.
I’m lucky enough to have a distributor a few miles from my shop, and yes it is expensive.
I use ¾” 18 .lb Sign Foam that costs over $200.00 for a 4’ x 8’ sheet.
Plus the premium sealer for the Sign foam is $75.00 a gal. – No pints or quarts! http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

Dirtydan
02-01-2008, 07:35 PM
I got mine from a company called "Grimco" The closest distribution point to you is in Elmhurst, IL. Phone # 866-213-2803 or 630-530-7756 FAX 630-530-8310 or you can go on their website at: http://www.grimco.com.

I orderd the 8' x 4' x .075" board from a local dealer out here, but they had to have it drop shipped to my place from somewhere back east... Seem there is not much need for 0.750" foam out here.

Good luck,

ive looked in a few spots but havnt found a good spot to buy it yet, any ideas?

Dirtydan
02-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I sure would love to have it Dave... either post it here or go to my website and upload it...

Thanks for the offer...

I Carved this one about 5 months ago ... Remember (Red over star field among a few others ). I carved it in older program cant rember which one think it was 1.023 ??? I Still have the MPC and Picture if you want it??

Oh Come On I Know you can remember

LittleRedWoodshop
02-02-2008, 12:04 AM
I would like to have it as well, would love to carve that as a gift for my brother (Marine after our grandfather), his birthday is in March.

Thank you in advance,
Jason

CompuCarve@yahoo.com

Dave-Carve
02-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Here Ya Go Dan !!!!
Sorry but Mpc Dont come with Paint :rolleyes:
That Takes A WHILE :p

Im Posting both the Flag raising Mpc, And the complete Mpc.

1.) I Was Told That " Mount Suribachi" is not Mount Suribachi,Japan.
2.) Also Febuary is misspelled FEBRUARY !!
3.) The Stars In The Flag are Deciving ??? Only 50 At Time ???

P/S I Think it was You Who Pointed This Stuff Out !!!!!!!

Oh Well My Loss Your Gain !!!!!!!!!!!

Glad I Could Help Happy Carving !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dirtydan
02-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks a lot buddy... When we catch up, we'll knock them out...

Take care,

Here Ya Go Dan !!!!
Sorry but Mpc Dont come with Paint :rolleyes:
That Takes A WHILE :p

Im Posting both the Flag raising Mpc, And the complete Mpc.

1.) I Was Told That " Mount Suribachi" is not Mount Suribachi,Japan.
2.) Also Febuary is misspelled FEBRUARY !!
3.) The Stars In The Flag are Deciving ??? Only 50 At Time ???

P/S I Think it was You Who Pointed This Stuff Out !!!!!!!

Oh Well My Loss Your Gain !!!!!!!!!!!

Glad I Could Help Happy Carving !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrBob
02-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi Dirtydan
I hope you don't mind I played with the Iwo Jima.mpc File a little.
Hope you like the added touch
Bob

Icutone2
02-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Hello All,
Started making panels for my shop doors, making a few of this one.
Does anybody know how to save wood between carve? 5' board and only 4 pieces 11-1/4 x 7-1/8 from 3/4 stock. Can't seem to get more than one on the layout board. Using 1.125 Thanks for any help from you all.:)

Bubbabear
02-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi Dirtydan
I hope you don't mind I played with the Iwo Jima.mpc File a little.
Hope you like the added touch
Bob
But DrBob February is still spelled wrong :razz: sorry just had to and heck I had to ask the wifey make sure I was spelling it right to pick on you LOL

DrBob
02-03-2008, 06:15 AM
Hay Bubbabear
You know what I didn't even look at the spelling LOL!
Maybe we should add spell check to the nekt upgrade?
Thanks for the haeds up!
Bob:rolleyes:

ruggybear
02-03-2008, 07:53 AM
WHOOPS!!!!

Still spelled wrong.

hotpop
02-03-2008, 08:17 AM
DrBob

There is a spell check. When you see a misspelled word, a word with a line of dots under it, it is misspelled. Right click on the word and see alternative spelling.

bamaman315
02-03-2008, 08:22 AM
I change the spelling hope this helps.
it is an awsome pattern.

Bubbabear
02-03-2008, 09:08 AM
we could only get so lucky as to see spell checker in any version :)

Kenm810
02-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Dave-Carve,

I think the paint job on your plaques and the carving is great.
--Well Done

Ps --- I hope you don’t mind, if I add 2 more cents to the pot

Bubbabear
02-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Dave-Carve,

I think the paint job on your plaques and the carving is great.
--Well Done

Ps --- I hope you don’t mind, if I add 2 more cents to the pot

Amazing how big of differance a paint job makes I love it painted

Dave-Carve
02-03-2008, 09:39 AM
That Missing r in february is pretty hard to squeeze in after its carved !!!

Also MOUNT SURIBACHI , JAPAN should Read MOUNT SURIBACHI. Leave off the JAPAN . At Least thats what I Were told ?????????

"Yea After It Was DONE AND PAINTED"

Hell I Once Did A Plaque One time and Spelled..
RACECAR Backwards Didnt seem to make any diffrence ???
Spell Check Didnt even catch it !!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Next time I Upload a mpc I Better Fix it myself I Guess..
Then I Wont look so DUMB !!!!

Kenm810
02-03-2008, 09:42 AM
It's Dave-Carve's photo and paint job
I was just admiring his work myself http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ps Dave, just to let you know
I've done the same thing
myself more then once

STEAM
03-16-2008, 03:51 PM
I have been working on this pattern for some time . I used photos of old jukeboxes to create it. I have at least 15 hours in the design. The album at the top was made from a photo.
I did it for a friend's husband as a surprise. It is approximately 24 x 11. The wood is poplar. Chip-out was pretty bad on the top letters. This is still a learning experience for me.

pkunk
03-16-2008, 04:00 PM
If you tried to apply 'Draft' to that portion with chipout, it would probably eliminate the problem.

STEAM
03-16-2008, 04:08 PM
If you tried to apply 'Draft' to that portion with chipout, it would probably eliminate the problem.

Thanks pkunk
I'll have to keep that in mind next time.

hotpop
03-16-2008, 04:31 PM
nu2carvin,

My suggestion would be to lower the height of the text as well as a small amount of draft.

A finer grain of wood might work better also. You might try cherry or walnut.

zman
03-16-2008, 05:31 PM
I noticed that some of these signs are painted. What kind of paint is the best to use. Also I noticed some of the fonts look like they are painted black. Any secrets as to the method for painting either.

Zman

Dirtydan
03-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Also I noticed some of the fonts look like they are painted black. Any secrets as to the method for painting either.

Zman

Well If I did it and it's on wood, they are "NOT:mad:" painted:mad:. They are either Ebony or Early American Stained:D. Secert....
1. Stain, Wipe, Dry, Sand down to the base wood.
2. Repeat step 1 until you get the affect want.
3. Apply Clear Coat, lightly sand and tac.
4. Repeat step 3 until you get the look you want.
5. Be sure to seal the back of the project also...

Kenm810
03-16-2008, 06:26 PM
zman,

This is a simple little sign to show the way I've done it several times.
Carve the piece and give to a couple coats of sanding sealer to keep the paint from bleeding into the surface grain.
Then paint the text or pattern you've carved.
Let it dry, then sand the surface clean on the small sample I just used a clear Top Coat Spray.
On the larger plaque I did the same first three steps, but add the colored Top Coat with a 4" fine nap roller.

There are several ways to do it I just choose the one that suited my needs.

Ps Like Dan, I prefer the natural colors and grains Myself

Old Salt
03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
:rolleyes:I see some talk about spelling my worst nightmare had a sign all done ready to take to a freind the next day my wife said you spelling is wrong . hate it when their right. Go to tiny spell it will work with our software and it is free !!

AskBud
03-16-2008, 07:58 PM
You may, also, type your wording into your Word Processor and Spell check it there. Once you like it, you may Copy it and Paste it into your CW Text screen, and then change the Font to what you wish.
AskBud

scgrout
03-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Sign done for house.

Eagle Hollow
03-17-2008, 07:00 AM
Sign done for house.

scgrout,

Now that's First Cabin! Do you mind posting your method of finishing?

Jerry

Running1.126

mtylerfl
03-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Sign done for house.

Excellent!

hotpop
03-17-2008, 08:28 AM
scgrout,

Very professional sign. Thanks for sharing.

Bill
03-17-2008, 11:54 AM
hello Scgrout,
Excellent job, well done!!! http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
Is your sign gold leaf or gold paint? if it is an outside sign and gold leaf how are you protecting it from the weather?

Dirtydan
06-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Been re-modeling the house and back yard... Just worked my way back down to where my machine was. Almost forgot about it...

Here's a sign for my Bar & Grill in the back yard... Still needs a little more sanding and clear-coats, but I though I'd share it with you all ...

I'll try to get back into the grove again... This being retired isn't all it's cracked up to be... Work, work, work... Thinking about up-retireing.... LOL..

mtylerfl
06-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Excellent work, Dirtydan!

LollyWood
06-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Hi Gunny,
Thought you might have shipped out (again ;) ) Missed ya.
Now put on that dust mask & ear phones and get back to work. hehehehe
Seems you haven't lost your touch. NICE!

:):)

jackssib1
06-15-2008, 05:48 AM
Thanks,
Jack:)

Kenm810
06-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Just a quick one to Share
Done with the 90-V Groove.

Kenm810
06-16-2008, 07:10 PM
This one will be for my oldest Son's Rec Room

Dirtydan
06-18-2008, 12:00 PM
I like that one Ken.... I'll have use it for sure....:)

castingman
06-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Me to, I'll be carveing that one soon !!

Michael

Kenm810
06-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Another Couple to Share.

fwharris
06-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Ken,

You are an endless source of wisdom! How many of these are your original thoughts? Keep em coming..

Kenm810
06-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Like I mentioned a while back, some come from family or friends, others I've seen or read,
and I do add a lot of my own thoughts to throw into the mix.
Like I tell my Sons I'm old I can get away with saying that kind of stuff now. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Dirtydan
06-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Another Couple to Share.

Ken, your on a roll...... but your hurting my head.... all these thoughts, thinking and all that stuff... Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh the pain....:p:p

Cbrown
06-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Here are a few of the latest. Kinda been sticking to more basic signs for abit. So far, people have loved them.

Cbrown
06-21-2008, 03:15 AM
Just a couple more... On these, the combo's are almost limitless. Here in MN cabin/lakes/ campgrounds are very popular during the summer.

Kenm810
06-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Cbrown,

Great Plaques and Signs,
Thanks for sharing your ideas and photos

I've seen several painted ones that folks have been displaying on their campers and campsites over the years, but lately we've noticed an increase in the more decorative plaques with carved text and graphic designs or patterns incorporated on them. I've made a few for ourselves and plan to do several more. I bought a 100 ft roll of 1/4" locked link brass chain and a couple boxes of eye screws for hanging the plaques. When Barb (says it time to go Camping) and lets me know where and when we our next camping trip will take us, I run off a several plaques or signs with local names or text and the appropriate pattern or graphic. I display them at the front of our campsite or on our camper while we're setting up, soon other campers stop by when they see the little price tags flapping in the breeze. So far they alway sell out the first or second day and cover the cost of our camp sites. Plus when folks learn that I make them myself, I get a few orders for custom plaques that I run off and mail out when we get back home. One way to help pay for the gas we used on the trips. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Kenm810
06-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Here's one just for fun! --- WALL-E

http://www.the-crawler.com/videos/dance.gif (http://www.the-crawler.com/radioandtv.php?station=42)

fairydust
07-14-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm a novice trying to make a sign for our camper. It is now carved using centerline, but I have questions about finishing it. I see signs that are stained and the letters and the board outline appear to be painted. Would someone please walk me through the steps of finishing a sign in this manner?

Thanks,
Fairydust

"It's all about the dust."

supershingler
07-14-2009, 08:19 AM
you can spray paint the letters and let dry

then sand off the high part of the board and finish as needed.

if you have pourous wood where the paint will saturate the wood spray a coat of sealer on the project before you paint it to seal the wood.

it is an easy process and with geat results

good luck

kendall

fairydust
07-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Kendall, thank you for this information. I have plenty of "firewood" I can use before attempting a real sign. Can't wait to complete one.

cnsranch
07-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Take a look here.....

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8093

Dirtydan
07-14-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't like to put paint on fine wood, so what I do is use an Ebony Stain on the entire board after carving. While it is drying, I flood the area's I want to appear black. It will take about two days for everything to dry completely. I then sand off all the stain from the flat surface. This will highlight the grain of the wood with the ebony stain and if you routed the edges give then a painted look but still letting the grain show through. I then apply about 3 to 4 coats of clear coat on the entire project. I like to use 000 steel wool, but you can also use 600 sandpaper to smooth out the surface between each clear coat application. Be sure to tac the area real good after sanding.

This takes a lot longer that just painting it, but the end results are "GREAT".

Also, paint can fade, crack and chip out...with age... Stain...always looks good. :D

I'm a novice trying to make a sign for our camper. It is now carved using centerline, but I have questions about finishing it. I see signs that are stained and the letters and the board outline appear to be painted. Would someone please walk me through the steps of finishing a sign in this manner?

Thanks,
Fairydust

fairydust
07-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks, guys! I appreciate any and all information I can gather. I never realized how much I would love working with wood. If I could only find a use for all that sawdust...

Fairydust

cnsranch
07-14-2009, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=fairydust;96471]If I could only find a use for all that sawdust...

If you changed your name to "Sawdust" that might help you out, and we could call you Saw for short (which beats the current alternative:D:D)

fairydust
07-14-2009, 08:09 PM
...but I call my husband Sawdust...

PCW
07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
You go girl! You are a girl right?:confused: Nowadays you don't know.

Digitalwoodshop
07-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks, guys! I appreciate any and all information I can gather. I never realized how much I would love working with wood. If I could only find a use for all that sawdust...

Fairydust

When Chris and I visited Guy at http://www.newwavewoodworking.com/ to look at the 4th Axis on 2 machines we also saw a machine that will take sawdust and compress it into Pucks to burn as fuel..... Dried hardwood PUCKS.....

They are making piles and piles of sawdust and this is a fantastic way to turn it into energy and MONEY..... A Very Innovated Company....

I could see a Home Owner version soon from some place like Northern Tool....

Everything from Home heating to Tourist using it at camping sites.... About the size of a CHEW BOX.... PUCKS......

AL

PCW
07-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Al,

That's a good idea. I know the sawmill in town heat their lumber kiln 100 % with the waste chips.

Also the power plant here runs totally on wood chips. They require 8 40' box trailers a day just to keep the boilers going. Loggers chip all the tree tops but depending on the market they will also chip the whole tree. Seems to be a waste of logs but if no one is buying logs they have to eat.

Kenm810
07-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Here's a post from a couple of years ago
about using the chips and dust form the machines. :wink:

What do you do with the sawdust?... (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=5484&highlight=fireplace+Logs)

PCW
07-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Ken,

Did you Dad work at any of the CCC Camps. There is evidence of their work all around where I live in Northern Michigan that they did in that difficult time during the depression. They planted a lot of Plantation Pine in that era.

Boy things are different now but I am kind of glad it is.:D Those pioneers had it rough back in the day. Thanks for sharing the pictures I really enjoyed them.

Kenm810
07-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Dan,

Yep he did, I still have one of his Civilian Conservation Coprs tool chests with a couple of his crusing axes in it.
He did a lot of the stump blasting while they were cutting 41 through to Copper Harbor and Fort Wilkins.
Our family is from Calumet and Laurium, It's really Gods Country up there.

PCW
07-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Ken,

I have been up in the area several times and it just don't get any better than that. Alot of my family have went to school in Houghton Hancock at Michigan Tech University. Upper or Flat-lander strange the games people play.:cool:

SharonB
07-15-2009, 12:23 AM
The wood "Pucks" would certainly be a good idea .... but not here in Oregon. Those CLOWNS at the capital are talking about extra taxes for anyone that burns wood, pellets, etc. Guess they are afraid that when they put taxes on energy more people will switch to wood.

fairydust
07-15-2009, 07:33 AM
You go girl! You are a girl right?:confused: Nowadays you don't know.

Yes, Dan, I am very much a girl, somewhat of an older one - married with three grown children, grandparent, teacher for 36 years and still going.

While camping, I started noticing signs and was drawn to them for some reason. I said to my husband, "We can do that." He looked at me like I had lost my mind. You see, my husband always wanted to take a woodshop class when he was in school, and his mother absolutely would not allow it because she was sure he would cut his fingers off. Consequently, he is not very handy with woodworking tools. I did some Internet study; he did some Internet study... and there was Carvewright! It seemed a good place to start.

We created great firewood and finally a sign. ("AskBud" was so kind to me in getting this first one completed.) Felt about as proud as a mom with a new born. During all of this, I was searching the Internet trying to find a "how to" on finishing the sign. After much searching, I thought, "Duh, there has to be something about signs on the forum." ...and here I am. Now I'm hooked on reading all ya'll (that's the Texan in me) have to say, whether it be informative or nonsense.

In just a short time on this forum, I've managed to cut a sign, learned techniques to add paint to my letters, who doesn't like paint on wood, and what to do with my sawdust. :)

Jan
Fairydust

PCW
07-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Jan,

I kind of figured that and not that it matters in any way but I didn't want to get myself in any trouble with assumptions.

There are several ladies that belong to this board and there is always room for one more. Welcome to both of you and looking forward to seeing some of your work.

mostlycold
07-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Dirty Dan,

Followed your instructions to the letter and everything worked as you explained in your pictorials. I just can't get the last part to work! When I try to apply an edge route to the cut out, it throws a big white square in the black space outside of the oval. No routed edge appears on the cut out, but if I unhide, the main project board has the routed edge. Any idea what I'm dong wrong? Really frustrated......

Dan

William Blankenship
07-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Here's a place to show-off your Plaques and Sign designs. ....... looking for fresh ideas...

Here is one that I just finished. I thought I would share.

I have enjoyed reading the posts. Thanks.

mostlycold
07-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Dirty Dan,

Followed your instructions to the letter and everything worked as you explained in your pictorials. I just can't get the last part to work! When I try to apply an edge route to the cut out, it throws a big white square in the black space outside of the oval. No routed edge appears on the cut out, but if I unhide, the main project board has the routed edge. Any idea what I'm dong wrong? Really frustrated......

Dan

Figured out the problem and will share for others that may have had this problem. The second to the last picture says to edge route with a picture of the select bit in it. Turns out there is an icon in Designer for "edge route" and an icon for "select bit". The select bit function in "edge route" gives you two menu's one for cutting bits and another for profile bits. The "select bit" function only gives you one menu and it only shows the cutting bits (unless you scroll to the bottom of that list and there you will see the profile bits - very trixy).

In this solution, while having the edge of the cutout selected, you will select the "select bit" function (not the "edge route" function) and then scroll down to the profile bit of your choice. This is a pretty cool solution, so Thanx to Gunny for sharing it. Now, I need to figure out how to put a 45 degree cut on 2 ends (45 top to bottom along the width) of a cut out, with a 1/4"w x 3/8"d groove from end to end. This would allow me to greatly simplify making boxes and carving the tops all in one process. Running miter key slots on the beveled edge would a huge plus as well. Anyone up for the challenge?

Dan-Woodman
07-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Mostlycold
Your mitered keyslots nead to be 90 deg. to the 45 deg beveled edge. I don't know of anyway to do that on the CW. Thats where the 4th axis will come in.
As for you 45 deg. "beveled edge" that is done at the machine from the keypad. As you are looking at the keypad it will do the left " end". use the "bevel" feature with the 1/4" roundnose bit. The "miter " feature will use the 1/8" cutting bit and cut across the width of the board ( straight cut through the board) "not straight across the end".
Don't be alarmed with the 1/4" roundnose bit starting at the edge for the first pass. It removes the waist area first , then comes back to start the 45 deg. bevel. Hope this helps.
Only 45 deg."bevels" can be made, but any angle "miters" can be made.
later Daniel

mostlycold
07-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Mostlycold
Your mitered keyslots nead to be 90 deg. to the 45 deg beveled edge. I don't know of anyway to do that on the CW. Thats where the 4th axis will come in.
As for you 45 deg. "beveled edge" that is done at the machine from the keypad. As you are looking at the keypad it will do the left " end". use the "bevel" feature with the 1/4" roundnose bit. The "miter " feature will use the 1/8" cutting bit and cut across the width of the board ( straight cut through the board) "not straight across the end".
Don't be alarmed with the 1/4" roundnose bit starting at the edge for the first pass. It removes the waist area first , then comes back to start the 45 deg. bevel. Hope this helps.
Only 45 deg."bevels" can be made, but any angle "miters" can be made.
later Daniel

Thanx for the info will try that this weekend when I get to play in the shop. My thought on the keys was to flip the board and cut them from the back (Flat). Any thoughts on cutting a channel 1/4w x 3/8d that would run the length of the (essentially would come out through the beveled edge at both ends? One near the top and one near the bottom would allow for placement of the lid and the base.

Thanx again for the help,
Dan

robbrigg2
07-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Hi all, had a hard time sleeping so I did a couple of projets for fun. I thought I wold share them.

THanks

Robert

Kenm810
07-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Hey!! Nice Plaques Robert, Well Done :grin:
Thanks for Sharing your Photos

robbrigg2
07-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks,

I got a little torch happy as you can see. THe family pic was a test, that was too nice to throw away. I plan to do it on solid wood (not sure which kind yet) but think this one will make a nice little present for the folks.

Gaussian Blur it does wonders!!!

Kenm810
07-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Gaussian Blur it does wonders!!! --- Amen!!

Quote -- "I got a little torch happy as you can see"

I keep an extinguisher or at least a bucket of water near by
When I use a torch in the shop -----
I've toasted more than one of my projects in the past -- http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

Kenm810
07-24-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm Heading I a little different direction with this one,
It's a plaque for one my Grand Daugthers bedroom. :smile:

William Blankenship
07-24-2009, 02:48 PM

That looks good. How did you apply your stain without leaving traces on the background? Is that centerline text? I'm just full of questions, aren't I.

William Blankenship
07-24-2009, 02:58 PM

That looks good. How did you apply your stain without leaving traces on the background? Is that centerline text? I'm just full of questions, aren't I.

Kenm810
07-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi William,

Sorry if I confused you, I'm not that good.
My machine has been in storage for the last month or two,
I haven't been able to do any carving while I,ve been convalescing at home.
I do hope to be back making Dust and Chips by the end of summer.

In the mean time I do play a lot with my CW Designer,
thinking up and sharing ideas I plan to carve when the time comes.
The project posted above is just some screen shots of the Designer layout,
that I laid a simitranparent colored mat over to see what it could or shoud look like.

It hasn't been carved yet, just a photo representation with Black Chancery Centerline Text

William Blankenship
07-24-2009, 05:04 PM
....I'm not that good.
My machine has been in storage for the last month or two,
I haven't been able to do any carving while I,ve been convalescing at home.
I do hope to be back making Dust and Chips by the end of summer......Black Chancery Centerline Text

Sorry your not up and about. At least you have Designer.

...not that good? You should see some of kindling I've carved. I have had my machine for almost 8 months and I'm still turning out tooth picks. Most of my designs are flat and featureless.

I am going to get the pattern editor, stl importer and centerline text. I'm hoping these modules will help me get better results.

Those images looked like carvings. When you do the carving I'd like to see the results. I like the design. Thanks for sharing.

oldfogey
07-24-2009, 05:46 PM
I have produced many signs using various techniques but the system I use with the most bang for the buck is to carve the sign, dob the lettering with paint, and then after drying plane the excess using a 13 inch planer. I have done dozens of signs per day this way.

William Blankenship
07-24-2009, 08:37 PM
I have produced many signs using various techniques but the system I use with the most bang for the buck is to carve the sign, dob the lettering with paint, and then after drying plane the excess using a 13 inch planer. I have done dozens of signs per day this way.

Now that is a good idea, indeed!! I like the sayings, too. I don't have a planer but I do have a belt sander. I'll try it with that. I have a planer and joiner on the want list. Man, that list is long.

Kenm810
07-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Here's another idea for my Grand Daughter's Bed Room.

PCW
07-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Ken,

Thanks for all you plaques. My granddaughter will love this one.

geekviking
07-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Thank you for the patterns!
How are you superimposing the color image over the pattern pic?
I would LOVE to learn that, it would save ALOT of finishes... :)

Kenm810
07-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Wish more carvings of photos I try would come out like this one.

I didn't do anything special, just saved the color photo as a png file,
converted it to grayscale and imported it in to Designer. :???:

Kenm810
07-25-2009, 02:04 PM
For the reason you just mentioned, I was getting tired of guessing how much finish or color to use on a project.
Put on, sand it off, put on again, and take it off again. #&@#~Nuts!!

So I experimented for a while and found that I could eliminate a lot of the guess work by simulating
my colors and finishes on the computer before I committed them to my projects surfaces.
It really helped reduce the size if the blue cloud floating around in my shop,
and the Dogs could come out from hiding under My work bench.

I print out a photo of what I want the piece to look like and use the photo as a guide
You can use most any graphics or publisher software.

PCW
07-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Ken

That is a great tip. I always thought that looked so cool but I could never figured out how you did it. Thanks for sharing your tips and your projects.

The little girls picture is excellent.

AskBud
07-25-2009, 03:05 PM

Hi people,
Notice that the "Hair Color" is not BLACK. I think that is one of the keys to good photo carves on the first attempt. No need for a lot of "doctoring".
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=97606&postcount=180

fishcarver
07-25-2009, 05:26 PM

so what program did you make it into a grayscale?
was it all done in the carvewirght program?
thanks stacey

Kenm810
07-25-2009, 06:05 PM
For that photo I used the Black and White Option on the drop down menu.
It's a free down load graphics program that does most of the basic opps you'll need.
There is also a tutorial available for it.
http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

Kenm810
07-26-2009, 10:33 AM
One from this Morning

badger
07-26-2009, 05:13 PM
New Signs made for Fellow Officer building a ranch in Nebraska

Attached is also the png for the rustic board.

robbrigg2
07-29-2009, 10:34 AM
I really liked doing this one. The MPC file is too big to post but I can put the pattern up if somone wants it.

Best too you all!

RObert

Kenm810
07-29-2009, 10:38 AM
badger and RObert, :wink:

great Job on the Plaques and Signs
Please keep them Coming

chebytrk
07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
I really liked doing this one. The MPC file is too big to post but I can put the pattern up if somone wants it.

Best too you all!

RObert

Yes please... post the ptn. Thanks

robbrigg2
07-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Here is the MPC file. I can't put the whole thing on as it was too large. Enjoy

chebytrk
07-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Here is the MPC file. I can't put the whole thing on as it was too large. Enjoy

Now that is cool! What would be cool is to make this type plaque for all the Transformers and Decepticons! Maybe you can send me a link or where you got the pic from so I can try to do that and post them all on here. I've got PE and Centerline, but I'm a master of none! ha So this would be a good practical Lesson for me.

I'd like to see if there something that can be made for "Twilight" the movie. Of course my grand daughter is in love with Jason or Jake or John or whatever his name is! :D She has all the posters & T-shirts.
Now the Transformers........... that would be for me! shhhhhhh... did I say that? Maybe even the new G.I. Joe coming up. ha ha

robbrigg2
07-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Maybe you can send me a link or where you got the pic from so I can try to do that and post them all on here.

I got the picture from a Optimus Prime Helmet. I found it by googleing "Optimus Prime Head Picture". Here is the link
http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4HPIA_enUS311US293&q=optimus+prime+head+picture&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=XbxxSrG4NI7uswOwvOH7CA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1

Try the same for Bumblebee and Megatron. You can get a lot of pictures on google images or even on wiki commons.

When you find a picture you like make sure you change the image size from 100 dpi to 300 and get it as large as you can. Delete the background (in Photoshop it's easy just use the magic eraser tool). Change to greyscale, add a little Guassian Blur save as a png file, import it into designer, maybe some background things, text, and viola your done.

I'd like to see if there something that can be made for "Twilight" the movie. Of course my grand daughter is in love with Jason or Jake or John or whatever his name is! :D She has all the posters & T-shirts.

" Now the Transformers........... that would be for me! shhhhhhh... did I say that? Maybe even the new G.I. Joe coming up. ha ha

Yeah, GI Joe looks awesome.

chebytrk
07-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah, GI Joe looks awesome.

Thank you sir ! Wish me luck with my new Lesson Plan ! :D

William Blankenship
08-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Here is a design my wife liked. I made her one and thought that I would share. I have quite a few work related sayings I have been asked to design plaques around. I must admit I like this one, too.

Enjoy,
Bill....

Kenm810
08-08-2009, 06:27 PM
I think A light textured Sandstone finish
would look kind of neat on this plaque and carving.

Kenm810
08-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Here’s a sample of North West Coastal Indian Art

geekviking
08-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Can you post the ptn for the Tink?
That came out great!
Thanks!

Kenm810
08-10-2009, 09:13 AM
A Thunder Bird print

William Blankenship
08-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Can you post the ptn for the Tink?
That came out great!
Thanks!

Tink came out as a line drawing. I couldn't get the pattern to act right so I inverted it. I'm thinking of painting it like the original artwork I found on the web. Here is the original artwork. I'm thinking the Pattern Editor could have done something better with the height map.

Enjoy

MikeON
08-10-2009, 09:45 PM
I made this sign to keep rabbits out of my garden. It is done in all vector and carves in about 6 minutes. This one is red maple - a lot of friends have been asking for them and I've made some from various woods.

mtylerfl
08-10-2009, 09:48 PM
I made this sign to keep rabbits out of my garden. It is done in all vector and carves in about 6 minutes. This one is red maple - a lot of friends have been asking for them and I've made some from various woods.

Hello Mike,

I like it! The big question...are the rabbits staying out of your lettuce now?;)

Kenm810
08-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Here's one for some of the Si Fi Movies fans out there (geekviking) :wink:
It's from a Movie Trailer Site, AVATAR, coming out in December this year.

geekviking
08-22-2009, 11:21 PM
(Okay, here comes the geek in me... :cool: )

This not only will be the first (non-animated) Major Motion Picture release in 3-D, but is set to herald in the latest Television Tech - 3D T.V.'s!

Check it out!
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hG1sMpMT2etSYAXv-GqOtPX541jgD9A73NH80

Kenm810
08-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Yep,

I've been reading up on it for a while, so I bought one of the Samsung 46" 1080p/LCD HDTVs, and DVD player that are Blue-Ray compatible.
I also bought a couple of 3D DVDs for the Grand Kids and I to watch while there visiting us.
The picture quality really blows me away, it’s 100 times better the big screen TV I bought a few years ago for our media room downstairs.
The best part is 3D format really works, but a couple things I did noticed and you have to keep in mind.
The ambient light in the room should be low for best 3D results and that you shouldn’t expect
the 3D effects to be quite and spectacular as a huge theater or movie screen.
All in all the quality and depth on the screen are very entertaining.

I'm defiantly looking to getting AVATAR and other 3D productions. :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9F1NU-l2GM

andes
08-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Here's one for some of the Si Fi Movies fans out there (geekviking) :wink:
It's from a Movie Trailer Site, AVATAR, coming out in December this year.

Ken,

What's the possibility of you sharing the multi color technique you use. I really like it and if you share ;-} I can use it on my Xmas gifts.

Kenm810
08-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Here's a quote I posted for you in another thread a few days ago.

"Hi Andrea,

My machine has in storage for awhile, so, no carvings for now,
I've be playing with my CW Designer and using semi-transparent
color over lays, so I could keep on sharing patterns and mpg files
and to see what they might look like when I can start carving again.
These posts will explain how I do it."

Let's Do Some Plaques and Signs (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4921) post #173
Fractals, a new way to look at them (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12189) post #8

I,m still not back to being able to using my carver :sad:
Their Only photos for now -- Hope this is Info you need and Helps

If your looking for info on how to make the transparent mats let me know

andes
08-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Yes, I guess I am looking for the transparent mats - looks real cool ;-} I will take a look at the ref's you have. Thnaks Ken

Here's a quote I posted for you in another thread a few days ago.

"Hi Andrea,

My machine has in storage for awhile, so, no carvings for now,
I've be playing with my CW Designer and using semi-transparent
color over lays, so I could keep on sharing patterns and mpg files
and to see what they might look like when I can start carving again.
These posts will explain how I do it."

Let's Do Some Plaques and Signs (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4921) post #173
Fractals, a new way to look at them (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12189) post #8

I,m still not back to being able to using my carver :sad:
Their Only photos for now -- Hope this is Info you need and Helps

If your looking for info on how to make the transparent mats let me know

liquidguitars
08-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Yep,

I've been reading up on it for a while, so I bought one of the Samsung 46" 1080p/LCD HDTVs, and DVD player that are Blue-Ray compatible.
I also bought a couple of 3D DVDs for the Grand Kids and I to watch while there visiting us.
The picture quality really blows me away, it’s 100 times better the big screen TV I bought a few years ago for our media room downstairs.
The best part is 3D format really works, but a couple things I did noticed and you have to keep in mind.
The ambient light in the room should be low for best 3D results and that you shouldn’t expect
the 3D effects to be quite and spectacular as a huge theater or movie screen.
All in all the quality and depth on the screen are very entertaining.

I'm defiantly looking to getting AVATAR and other 3D productions. :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9F1NU-l2GM

Ken,
good info, my TV set went down so i am looking for a new one.

Regarding Avatar all i can say is I have always felt good about having a human body until seeing the trailer. Jim C has a lot of guts combining the two
mediums is such a way. should be a fun movie rumble in the jungle!

LG

TIMCOSBY
08-24-2009, 12:43 AM
l.e.d. tv's. playing a blueray disc is out of this world good.

geekviking
08-24-2009, 04:28 AM
Next year when the 3D T.V.'s come out! Can't wait to see a good 3D movie without the use of the glasses! 8)

William Blankenship
08-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Here is one that I just carved and placed a simple frame around. I love my machine!!

geekviking
08-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Nice! :cool:

earlyrider
08-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Bill-
That looks like a Mioplosus labracoides from the Green River Formation!
Fishcarver and I have been thinking of scanning some G.R. fish for carving.
We need to catch up!
Ron

William Blankenship
08-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Bill-
That looks like a Mioplosus labracoides from the Green River Formation!
Fishcarver and I have been thinking of scanning some G.R. fish for carving.
We need to catch up!
Ron

Thanks Ron, I just looked that one up and you are right. You are right, it does. Scans would be really cool to use in a layout.

Bill...

mtylerfl
08-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Here is one that I just carved and placed a simple frame around. I love my machine!!

Bill - WOW! That is really cool!

liquidguitars
08-25-2009, 01:13 PM

Love it, has a nice vibe about it.

LG

Rick P
08-25-2009, 01:58 PM
This big sign was just mounted on County Road 19 near our house.
The old house is on the National Historical Register...U.S. presidents used to go there for quiet meetings and short vacations.

eromran
08-25-2009, 02:21 PM
The old house is on the National Historical Register...U.S. presidents used to go there for quiet meetings and short vacations.Rick, much improved sign i like yours better than the old one i'm sure they where thrilled. Maybe you will get to replace them all.

William Blankenship
08-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Love it, has a nice vibe about it.

LG

A good friend of mine designed this one on his Mac. I had that same feeling when he asked me to carve it. That was no problem loading the WMF file into Corel Draw. Converting it to an AI file was as simple as saving it in that format.

There is a little utility that imports AI files and converts it to MPC. This program is pretty cool and available on this forum. It is command line driven and very simple. I used it to convert some of the background elements so I would have maximum depth manipulation. AI2MPC worked out great.

Now for the fun. I get to put the finish to it. I'm looking forward to this phase.

William Blankenship
08-26-2009, 07:36 AM
The old house is on the National Historical Register...U.S. presidents used to go there for quiet meetings and short vacations.

Nice job. Just how big is this? Where is this located? I'd like to see it.

geekviking
08-27-2009, 12:28 AM
My wife asked me to do a clock of a shield with crossed swords for the living room (yes I have a sword/axe/spear/weapon collection :))... Came out pretty nice, she was really happy with it. :cool:

AGAIN! The Carvewright scores wife points!!! (Loud crowd applause goes here)

lawrence
08-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Geekviking.. Awesome sign, I won't let LOML see that... we met at a Viking/AngloSaxon re-enactment in York (the original York) and yes, she's English born and bred...

Haven't done any re-enactments in years though, but what I wouldn't give for some mead!
Lawrence

William Blankenship
08-27-2009, 07:22 AM
My wife asked me to do a clock of a shield with crossed swords for the living room (yes I have a sword/axe/spear/weapon collection :))... Came out pretty nice, she was really happy with it. :cool:

AGAIN! The Carvewright scores wife points!!! (Loud crowd applause goes here)

Wife points <grin>. I like the way you put that. <grin>. Good job, man. I like. Care to share the pattern?

Bill...

Icutone2
08-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Very nice job please share the mpc would be a nice clock to put by my sword collection also
Thanks for sharing!
Lee

Kenm810
08-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Geekviking,

Great job on the Shield and Crossed Swords
Thanks for posting and sharing the Photo

What a good idea, -- Points

I'll have to remember to get some
MAGIC ROCKS for some Points
with the Grand Kids!! :razz:

hess
08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Geek that is cool beans

good job

geekviking
08-27-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm surprised it came out as well as it did, I made the pattern from a hand drawing in colored pencil...
Here's the .MPC, it looks alot better stained & hanging on the wall than it does in designer. I choose to cut it out with my scroll-saw as it's more accurate than the CW's cutout feature. :rolleyes:

Tom Spaulding
08-28-2009, 09:16 AM
I made this plaque for my niece's birthday.

I used inkscape to turn clipart from the internet into vectors and then used font creator to make a new font.
It only took 20 minutes to cut the whole thing using centerline text.

I need to work on my finishing, I just used paint pens to fill in the carves and sprayed it with acrylic sealer.

-Tom

Kenm810
08-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Tom,

I'm sure She'll love it, Nice Job :smile:
Thanks for sharing your Photo

geekviking
08-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Came out great!

liquidguitars
08-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Sir Geek cool beans..

LG

lawrence
08-29-2009, 03:54 PM
I made this plaque for my niece's birthday.

I used inkscape to turn clipart from the internet into vectors and then used font creator to make a new font.
It only took 20 minutes to cut the whole thing using centerline text.

I need to work on my finishing, I just used paint pens to fill in the carves and sprayed it with acrylic sealer.

-Tom

I use inkscape to make cutting vector patterns for the Cricut (using sure-cuts-alot) and wondered If I could do the same with the Carvewright... it appears I can :)

Great job and it looks really nice
Lawrence

geekviking
08-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Let us know, & share your results :D

Kenm810
08-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Here's My early pattern offering for a Christmas Plaque this year.

RayTrek
08-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Geekviking,

Very nice! Thanks for sharing your shield clock.

Ken, That is way cool!!
Ray

Dan-Woodman
08-30-2009, 03:58 PM
did you meen to leave the rectangle around the cross?
later Daniel

Kenm810
08-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi Dan,

I don't have the actual .ptn file of the cross,
it's a copy/paste situation form the .mpc file
that was originally posted as a two side carving.
Eventually I'll figure out how to remove it using
a "0" set Carve Region or something like that.
It'll be one of my little challenges with myself,
to find a way to do it without having the .ptn
to work with, in the mean time,
I'll just use it the way it is. :wink:

TerryT
08-30-2009, 08:52 PM

Ken,
Thank you that is great.

liquidguitars
08-30-2009, 08:54 PM

sweet!

LG

lawrence
08-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Here is my first project made with the scanning probe and my first ever sign...
-- I scanned my favorite tool (my block plane) and then made my shop sign.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/DSCF0081Small-1.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/DSCF0087Small-1.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/DSCF0096Small-4.jpg
The material is MDF and the paint job is
white primer
black wiped on
tan latex
red milk paint
black wiped on
sanded off
red milk paint rubbed on

The lettering is black sprayed and the gold is enamel spray. I finished the whole thing off with a coat of amber shellac.. it looks suprisingly old for a brand new sign, and the MDF carved really nicely

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/DSCF0113Small-2.jpg

Thanks for looking
Lawrence

dbfletcher
08-31-2009, 09:06 PM
That is one awesome scanning sled... and a very nice sign to boot! Well done!!!

Doug Fletcher

TIMCOSBY
09-01-2009, 04:40 AM
i found drilling two or three 1" holes in the sled helpfull. you can sink the object down in the holes if its too high or hard to stabilize as in a round bottom.

LittleRedWoodshop
09-01-2009, 07:12 AM
http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/14/04/28/42/m16_no10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=472&u=14042842)

RayTrek
09-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Lawrence,
Looks great – Nice layout and carve and thanks for the finishing technique you used.

Jason,
Looks like you can pull that out of the region and use it may cause a little ruckus at the airport as well, very nicely done.

Here is the finished sign for the roadhouse on the Oregon Trail.
Received 500.00 for it and some other projects to do from locals in the area.
The little plaque on the bottom was made from the trophy shop and they are working with me in making some of their awards product line.

Failure, just means we haven't found a way that works yet!
Ray ver.1.152

William Blankenship
09-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Here is my street sign design I just carved. I'm going to start staining it in a couple more days after I finish up on two signs.

Bill...

Wilbur
09-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Ken, loved the background you used on your project "In the mist of turmoil". The whole project is great.

Dolores

Icutone2
09-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Super job looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing it.
Lee

Kenm810
09-01-2009, 03:04 PM
We were talking on the Forum about Dragon files the other day,
Thought I might make one up for my youngest Grandson’s Room.
He’s a real little "toughie" at 3 years old. :wink:

liquidguitars
09-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Here is my street sign design I just carved. I'm going to start staining it in a couple more days after I finish up on two signs.

Bill...

Bill,

nice job and a clean design.

LG