PDA

View Full Version : Missing Letters? Any Suggestions?

911guy
11-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Hi Folks,

I have a real issue (what I think is a real issue).

I have been trying to make 3 different types of signs (different characters) and it appears the machine is missing a letter at the end of the word whenever I "stack" the two words on top of each other. There appears to be enough space between the two.

I have two separate words "Camp" and "Sortman". For some reason, it's not cutting the "p", but is placing a dot in the wood after the "m" in "Camp".

I've tried pine, cedar, bold, unbold, 90 degree bit vs 60 degree, nothing seems to change. Checked the search here can't seem to locate anything.

I've attached a photo and .mpc design, any help would really be greatly appreciated!

Hawg_man
11-02-2007, 05:04 AM
I opened your MPC file and it looks fine.............try deleting the file from your flash card and then upload it to the card again...........or you may have a corrupt font file............try a different font. I would place it twice on a scrap board with 2 different fonts and see how that works.

Bob

TurkeyBranch
11-02-2007, 05:21 AM
Can't resist, so sorry from the begining

Maybe your machine can't spell :D

But I do agree with Bob, try different fonts, I have a had a couple that wouldn't show up at all.

Problem is, everything showed up but one letter.

mtylerfl
11-02-2007, 08:12 AM
I copied this from another post. It offers a solution for "text clipping" (or "glyph" clipping). If that's the source of your problem, then this might be the answer...

Try this to avoid glyph clipping:

Space
Return
Space
The letter(s)
Space
Return
Space

That puts proper spacing above, below and to both sides of the letterform. CW Designer will ignore all the spaces and returns, and simply carve the letter(s).

911guy
11-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your input.

Out of these two choices, I would vote on the font problem. I'll try this. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

I opened your MPC file and it looks fine.............try deleting the file from your flash card and then upload it to the card again...........or you may have a corrupt font file............try a different font. I would place it twice on a scrap board with 2 different fonts and see how that works.

Bob

911guy
11-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Can't resist, so sorry from the begining

Maybe your machine can't spell :D

I think sometimes it needs an attitude adjustment! My hammer is too close to the machine.....

911guy
11-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks Michael, I'll try this one also.

I copied this from another post. It offers a solution for "text clipping" (or "glyph" clipping). If that's the source of your problem, then this might be the answer...

Try this to avoid glyph clipping:

Space
Return
Space
The letter(s)
Space
Return
Space

That puts proper spacing above, below and to both sides of the letterform. CW Designer will ignore all the spaces and returns, and simply carve the letter(s).

Digitalwoodshop
11-02-2007, 11:05 AM
I had a thought? Is this a short board and popping up between the rollers and just driving right out of the machine without finishing the carving because the brass roller is not being turned?

AL

mtylerfl
11-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Good point and question to bring up.

I am apparently in the habit of "assuming" everyone already knows they should keep their projects under the rollers, so I forget to verify that's what they're doing!

911guy
11-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Al,

It is 18 inches in length. I am choosing to NOT stay under the rollers as I've never had a problem with this choice.

I did have some patterns on each side of the wording that etched just fine. I've even replaced the wording with a pattern which works fine in the same spot.

I usually put painter's tape under the board portion for the brass roller but didn't in this application. I'm curious is this might be the problem or not. I'm going to do some experimenting when I get home tonight from work.

I had a thought? Is this a short board and popping up between the rollers and just driving right out of the machine without finishing the carving because the brass roller is not being turned?

AL

911guy
11-02-2007, 01:48 PM
No, I actually choose NOT to stay under the rollers. You think this may be my problem? I have in the past tried to shy away from this option to avoid the extra length (3.5 on each side) but I now realize that may be the problem. In the past it's always turned out ok but maybe this may be the culprit.

I know it warns you that your carving may be goofed up if you choose not to stay under the rollers.....hmmmmm, may be onto something there.

Good point and question to bring up.

I am apparently in the habit of "assuming" everyone already knows they should keep their projects under the rollers, so I forget to verify that's what they're doing!

Kenm810
11-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Hey folks,

I guess I’m one of those Guys that are the exception to the rule, (keep your projects under the rollers). You see I have been doing 99.9% of my craved projects on Different sized Sleds, do to the small size of the projects, the cost of the material being carved, or just being a little frugal and trying to avoid making to much SignFoam scrap or kindling out of some nice Cherry or my Curly Maple. My projects are always centered on the project board and Sled, which is again always 7 to 8 inches longer and 1 to 1.5 wider than the project board. So even though I tell the machine option No.2 “not” to keep the project under the pressure rollers, it anyway is, hence no tip up problems or getting away form the “O” ring on the brass tracking sensor. --- Now I don’t by any mean recommend this to anyone, -- it’s just a little information I’m passing along to the carvers that are doing small to medium projects like mine. --It’s been working for me for nearly a year now with very little waste or scrap.

mtylerfl
11-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Hello Ken,

Actually, you're not the exception to the 'rule' of staying under rollers, since you are doing that via the sleds - si?

I realize you tell the machine "no" (that's what I do too) but nevertheless, the project is indeed staying under the rollers.

Kenm810
11-02-2007, 04:41 PM
"YUP" http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

911guy
11-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Well, I called customer service today to get their take on this. After looking at my file, they concluded that staying under the rollers option should not have anything to do with missing letters.

I did some experiments, and tried a different font as suggested by Hawgman. This appeared to be the issue. My font I was using appears corrupt. At least that is my belief.

Thanks to all who had responded to my cry for help!

mtylerfl
11-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Glad you got it figured out. Sounds like a font to avoid, but it's a mystery why it displays properly in Designer. Makes it more challenging to pick the 'right' fonts, I guess.

911guy
11-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Glad you got it figured out. Sounds like a font to avoid, but it's a mystery why it displays properly in Designer. Makes it more challenging to pick the 'right' fonts, I guess.

Thank you. Works great now. Now if I can only figure out why after "checking firmware" appears, why I cannot upload to my memory card! UGH.

mtylerfl
11-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Thank you. Works great now. Now if I can only figure out why after "checking firmware" appears, why I cannot upload to my memory card! UGH.

You might want to go into the Flash Manager, click the "Firmware" button, then check that you have the proper firmware version installed on the card...i.e., either version 1.120 or 1.121 (use version 1.121 if you have the new Z-pak installed on your machine that just came out a few weeks ago).