PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: replacing gear in drive train for sandpaper belts

d_swan
10-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Howdy, folks!

I found the cause of my persistent X-axis stall: two leaves (teeth) are broken on the first reduction pinion in the gear train that drives the sandpaper belts.

LHR is sending me a new gear, but I've run into a snag with disassembly.

Getting the snap ring off was easy but the gear won't pull off its axle due to the lip on the base of the machine that is meant to engage the little plastic cover that is meant to keep out the sawdust, but doesn't.

Easiest for me would be to just cut away that lip... but I'm sure there must be a better, more correct way.

Does anyone have advice or, better yet, an exploded drawing and/or service manual covering that particular assembly?

Thanks in advance,

-David

d_swan
10-30-2007, 02:14 PM
There may actually be three missing leaves:

http://thescholarsgarret.com/personal/pix/journal/carvewright_gear_broken_leaves.jpg

And this is the gear that I need to remove/replace:

http://thescholarsgarret.com/personal/pix/journal/carvewright_gear_access_problem.jpg

-David

Digitalwoodshop
10-30-2007, 04:21 PM
David,

I brought the post I did on the X gear replacement to the surface in the troubleshooting section for you.

You will need to remove the bottom cover from the machine and pull the X Gear motor to do it properly. Grinding off the lip would work but you should remove and clean all gears and re lube upon reassembly.

Good Luck,

AL

d_swan
10-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks, Al. That's just what I needed.

Mind you, it shows what else I needed. After reading the whole thread, I went back to my machine and noticed that the first stage shaft was wobbling.

Also, I recall the chap on the 'phone saying that he was sending me a SECOND stage gear. Obviously I need to get back to him and tell him that what I need is a FIRST stage gear. And plate.

(b.t.w. I really did search the archives for an article to help me out. I still don't know how I missed your post.)

-David

Digitalwoodshop
10-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Sometime just search under member's list and select all threads started by digitalwoodshop. I have a bunch that break down the repairs I have made.

For someone who is digging into the machine it will let you know what to expect.

AL