PDA

View Full Version : transform a pattern?

pkunk
10-29-2007, 09:45 PM
How can I transform the deer pattern to look like the bear pattern. I'm lost on this one.

Jeff_Birt
10-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Remove the carve region around the deer and then set the feathering to 1/2 or so.

mtylerfl
10-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Actually, I'm not sure that will work quite the same as with the bear.

Patterns like the bear (with a relatively uniform outline) will feather nicely.

Patterns like the deer (with fine details such as antlers) will leave high areas of wood in between the antlers - the "excess" wood would have to be carved out by hand if the 'in between' wood is not desired (i.e., our friend the Dremel).

pkunk
10-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Remove the carve region around the deer and then set the feathering to 1/2 or so.
I can't do that Jeff. It's a PTN.

pkunk
10-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Actually, I'm not sure that will work quite the same as with the bear.

Patterns like the bear (with a relatively uniform outline) will feather nicely.

Patterns like the deer (with fine details such as antlers) will leave high areas of wood in between the antlers - the "excess" wood would have to be carved out by hand (i.e., our friend the Dremel).
Mike, how would your deer pattern compare?
I need 3 as samples-elk, deer, & bear-all the same format, preferably like the elk & bear.

mtylerfl
10-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Here's a picture demonstrating feathering of your deer pattern...

mtylerfl
10-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Mike, how would your deer pattern compare?
I need 3 as samples-elk, deer, & bear-all the same format, preferably like the elk & bear.

Our deer will feather pretty much the same as the elk.

(Gee whiz, sounds like we're talking about flying deer and elk):D

Jeff_Birt
10-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Patterns that have fine details and a transparent background will have the artifacts like pictured around the antlers. You can clean it up by creating a carve region in the area of the antlers only, setting it to the same depth as the pattern (may have to play with the depth). This has the effect of 'erasing' the unwanted bits. I whipped up a quick sample in the attached pic. Note, I did not spend a lot of time doing this, I used all straight connected lines. The area around the tail was cleaned up.

Oh, Paul if you were saying that you Deer pattern has the rectangular carve region around it? Pull it up in the CW pattern editor and crop it to just the Deer. Then erase the left over areas up to the Deer, leaving the antler area as it is.

mtylerfl
10-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks, Jeff for the tip.

pkunk
10-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Thank you both! I should have some time again this evening to work this out.