PDA

View Full Version : Problem measuring thinner board

Chandi
10-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi All,

I just got my Carvewright machine from Sears, and I'm learning how to use it. One of the first problems I had is that I can measure the length of a 1x12x24 inches long, but when I put in a 1/4x4x24 inches board to measure, it rolls the board out and keeps on rolling. The machine is locked all the way tight on both boards, equally. Do you know of any reason why it won't measure the thinner board? I tried looking in the hardware manual and in the software manual, but no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff_Birt
10-28-2007, 07:12 PM
The board needs to be at least 1/2" thick before the machine can sense/feed it properly.

mtylerfl
10-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Hi All,

I just got my Carvewright machine from Sears, and I'm learning how to use it. One of the first problems I had is that I can measure the length of a 1x12x24 inches long, but when I put in a 1/4x4x24 inches board to measure, it rolls the board out and keeps on rolling. The machine is locked all the way tight on both boards, equally. Do you know of any reason why it won't measure the thinner board? I tried looking in the hardware manual and in the software manual, but no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Chandi,

Take a look in your machine manual on page 3 or 4 for the "SPECIFICATIONS". It's this page that will give you the basic info of what the machine requirements are (including the minimum board size and height/thickness).

Kenm810
10-28-2007, 07:24 PM
If you need to carve a piece of wood for a project less then 1/2", you will most likely need to mount it on a Sled or Carrier board.
You can do a quick search on the forum key words (sled, carrier board plastic, Corian)
and you find a ton of info about carving projects less then 1/2" thick.

mtylerfl
10-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Yes, you can use a sled or just tape two 1/4" thicknesses together (same size width/length) to fool the machine. That only works if you do not want to cut all the way through the top 1/4", otherwise you'll spoil the lower 1/4" thick board. Actually, the lower board can be any thickness you want (short of the 5" max. thickness of course).

Chandi
10-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Aha!

Well, now I feel silly for skimming over the specifications part of the manual and not noticing that bit.

Thanks so much for the answer and the helpful suggestions! :)

Kenm810
10-29-2007, 07:14 AM
Chandi,

Don’t feel bad or silly we’re all guilty of skimming through the instructions or manuals.
I know most of the time I’m one of the worst offenders

Just this past week I pulled a little surprise test on several employees about not reading instructions, I called them into one of our conference rooms, sat them around the table and handed each of the them their full daily assignment sheets to read before leaving the room to start their days work. In the middle of the assignment sheet was a short paragraph telling them I was ordering our new work shirts, and to write down the size shirts they each wanted on the back of the sheet plus sign it, turn it over and leave it on the table. When I returned the was only 4 of the 12 sheets signed with the shirt size written on them. Happily two the signed sheets were both my sons plus only two others, the remaining 8 that didn’t sign were called back to the room for a 20 minute tirade and lecture.