PDA

View Full Version : How do I create a pocket?

Cueman
10-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Whats the best way to make a pocket in a board, say 1/4" deep?
I need all of the shape to be taken down that far, not just an outline, with the middle still being there.

The shape doesn't matter, in my use, but what type of picture is best to start with for this operation? Is there anything special I need to do to the picture first? And once I get it into designer, do I need to go deeper and deeper in increments?

Thanks in advance -

Kenm810
10-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Cueman,

By pocket do you mean carve region? Once I have my picture in my ptn folder, I place it on my project board in Designer,
to size it or move it around. Next I use the Rectangle or Circle Tool to put a rectangle or circle around the Picture,
then use the Carve Region Tool to remove the stock around the picture (default .25 -- ¼”) and then go on to size it or move things around the board.
I'm probably over simplifying it to much, there are a lot of folks on the forum much better explaining then I. Hope this is aleast a place to start from. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

The face on the left is carved at .125 and the face on the right is carved at .250

Cueman
10-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Kenm810,

Thanks for the reply, but I mean a shape. Lets use a small rectangle for an example. The rectangle is 1/4" wide, x 3" long, and 1/4" deep.

The problem is when I bring in a picture, it doesn't remove the whole shape - just the edges.

Now what kind of picture can make this shape read correctly importing it into designer? I used Autocad, & also used Corel, and then made every type of jpg bmp, etc. I could, and all of them do not look right when I bring them into designer. Designer leaves the middle, and only does the outline that shape. It does not take down the whole shape to the depth I want. There is a spot in the middle that the software doesn't take down. If it were a round, it would leave a cone in the middle. It does that on the rectangle too. I could chisel it out, but that's a hassle. I must be doing something wrong.

Remember, this picture is supposed to all be .050 deep in those center shapes... I want to get rid of the cone shapes in the middle. (All flat to .050)

Attached is an mpc. and a picture of what's going on. Note the little shapes in the center. They are supposed to be all evenly taken to the same depth. This pass is .050 deep. I was planning on making separate mpcs that are deeper in increments of .050" deeper until the pattern is 1/4" deep over all.

Also - don't worry about the larger rectangles around those shapes - they are nothing yet, but eventually the patterns will be cut apart there...

I want to use these shapes to make a pattern for a pantograph. The shapes all make inlay patterns which will look like a small pool stick when done.

Thanks
Chuck

Jeff_Birt
10-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Your shapes need to be solid. In what ever program your using, draw your shape outline and then fill it with a solid grey (your lines and fill should be the same color). Now save this as a PNG (never use JPG). Import it into Designer.

Keenosan
10-29-2007, 09:32 PM
This is an example of what Jeff was talking about and the results.

Kenm810
10-30-2007, 06:47 AM
Cueman,

Just turn on my computer, sure looks like Jeff and Keenosan
Have you pretty well covered. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Cueman
10-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Ahhh. I see now. I used 3-d solids thinking that was the type of data designer wanted... Thanks all!!

You guys rock!