PDA

View Full Version : carving plastics

rcdages
10-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Hay Guys,

Do any of you do any carving in Polycarbonate or cast Acrylic plastics?

If so how has it worked out for you?

Have you had any problems with the machine after the carving?

Thanks'
rcdages
Robert

Kenm810
10-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Hi Robert, First I’d like to say welcome to the forum.

I have done a few carving in Polycarbonate or cast Acrylic plastics, along with several in Corian and SignFoam with out any real problems. The only thing I noticed was how the carved dust and chips stick to everything, even with a down draft cabinet, I found myself spending extra time cleaning up my machine after each carved project.
If you do a quick Search on the forum Key words like (plastic, Corian, SignFoam, or light boxes) you’ll probably find the info you need.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

ps. Check out the Gallery for some Photos of carved plastic and Corian Projects.

rcdages
10-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Hello Ken,

Thank you for the welcome-I am happy to be on board with all of you.
That was the other question I had was about CORIAN & SignFoam.
Have you carved any MDF?
Thanks,
rcdages
Robert

Kenm810
10-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Robert,
You can carve products like MDF, "Medium Density Fiber Board" but be careful of the dust, it can be toxic.
If you Search under dust control you’ll fine some folks do carve it for projects, ( I have) and other just carve it for test pieces,
Because it's cheaper then most types of wood and has limited grain effect on a carving and carves very smooth. The down side is
text can chip out easily if carved to deep, plus the dust is really fine and often causes problems with the board sensors. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

eharsin21
11-14-2007, 04:15 AM
I have made several carvings in plastics which turned out great. I am still trying to figure out a "lighting box" in which to display them. I have tried a 4 inch box with black plastic as a backer, but can not get an affective lighting method to illuminate the front piece (carved piece). I saw the original plastic carving of the lady with her hair blowing back, and the author said he got the affect by backlighting with black plastic. Does anyone know exactly how this was achieved?:confused:

jblues71
11-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Just wondering, what the little red button on the black box behind the lid "cover", is for?

Digitalwoodshop
11-14-2007, 08:49 PM
I believe it is light on, light off....

Speaking of a light box.... How about trying to edge light the plastic with LED's.... Using a wood base with LED's in it. LED's run cool and no fire danger.

AL

jblues71
11-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Thanks. I guess thats what happens when I look at these pics with my eyes wide shut.