PDA

View Full Version : Cribbage Box

jspringertx
10-25-2007, 11:42 AM
I have a friend that wants me to carve his name on the cribbage box as shown on the attachment. The script will read: Tom Thibedeau
Cribbage Master (2 lines). I have centerline font so I am looking for the best font and bit that I should use.

I cannot remove the lid so I guess I will have to build a sled to place the box on for carving.

Any ideas on the font or method of carving the script. Obviously I don't want to screw up the box.

oldjoe
10-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Not sure what to tell you alot of it is just personal taste, Since you have centerline you can do what I do I write what I want it to say in designer then just keep going through the different fonts until I find what I like for that project. Designer gives a pretty good look at how it will turn out. You can also pick the different bits. Takes time but it works. Also if you want to know the depth of the letters since you can't adjust it in centerline I found that if I take the pointer and run it slowly over the top of the letters and watch the Z coordinates it gives me and appoximate depth of the finished carve.
Good luck with the project you are a braver man then me to attemp something on something so wonderful to begin with. ;)

Reset
10-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Good luck with the project you are a braver man then me to attemp something on something so wonderful to begin with. ;)

Hi Jim,

Yes you are a brave man :D

Something like this, I'd spend the time making a "faux box" to test first...(how it is mounted on the sled, alignment, and carving, depth)...just a little insurance, since you only have one shot at the final carving. I'd want to make 100% sure I wasn't going to hit one of those holes...and risk any chip out. Even if it's just a block of wood 17½"x3½". Might even drill some holes in it too. For me, I know how this could easily turn into a pandora's box :D

As for the font to use...I agree it's all about personal preference. Black Chancery is one of the fonts that have been reported to work well.

Good Luck :D

Tommy

jspringertx
10-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Not sure what to tell you alot of it is just personal taste, Since you have centerline you can do what I do I write what I want it to say in designer then just keep going through the different fonts until I find what I like for that project. Designer gives a pretty good look at how it will turn out. You can also pick the different bits. Takes time but it works. Also if you want to know the depth of the letters since you can't adjust it in centerline I found that if I take the pointer and run it slowly over the top of the letters and watch the Z coordinates it gives me and appoximate depth of the finished carve.
Thanks for the informatioln. I have had this box for several months and I have hesitated to start on it.

Dave-Carve
10-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Yes You Are A Brave Man

I Think Its Time For A DREMEL ;)Thats A Nice Looking Box And He Is (WAS) a Freind Of Yours, Id Find A New Box Just In Case!!!

Have Had No Problems Carving with my CW .But They Have a Recored For SCREWING UP !!!! :rolleyes: GOOD LUCK !!!!!

jspringertx
10-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Yes You Are A Brave Man

I Think Its Time For A DREMEL ;)Thats A Nice Looking Box And He Is (WAS) a Freind Of Yours, Id Find A New Box Just In Case!!!

Have Had No Problems Carving with my CW .But They Have a Recored For SCREWING UP !!!! :rolleyes: GOOD LUCK !!!!!

I think I will listen to you, my fellow forum members, and NOT attempt to do the box. He is very picky and I am afraid that my carver will NOT d0 what I want it to do. I have screwed up many items before and I don't want to lose a box and a friend.

Besides, he is a lawyer and probably will sue me.

I printed your suggestions and will give them to him along with his box.

oldjoe
10-26-2007, 11:41 AM
I have a thought ( happens once in awhile) Why not make him a whole new box just copy that one then he will have two of cribage boards. One the one you made which will be specialer. And the original one. Shouldn't be too hard I guess.
I know specialer is not a word but it should be.:)

jspringertx
10-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I have a thought ( happens once in awhile) Why not make him a whole new box just copy that one then he will have two of cribage boards. One the one you made which will be specialer. And the original one. Shouldn't be too hard I guess.
I know specialer is not a word but it should be.:)

Not a bad idea. I may try just that for the experience.

In the meantime I made a nameplate using gold aluminum with black letters (using sublimation) and then carved a piece of wood to offer as an attachment to the box.

The hand made cribbage board is an excellent idea!

Thanks!

woodknack
10-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Not a bad idea. I may try just that for the experience.

In the meantime I made a nameplate using gold aluminum with black letters (using sublimation) and then carved a piece of wood to offer as an attachment to the box.

The hand made cribbage board is an excellent idea!

Thanks!

Id love to see pictures of it.!!

jspringertx
10-28-2007, 03:14 PM
I purchased some thin wood that I plan on trying for the carved image. I will send photos
when available.