PDA

View Full Version : feathering help

TurkeyBranch
10-25-2007, 11:41 AM
:confused: I was making a project, set my feather to 1/4", but it only goes part of the way around the pic. Is this normal? I don't want to spend 2.5 hours to find out the software is right and it looks stupid without it being all the way around.

Ed

Jeff_Birt
10-25-2007, 11:48 AM
How about attaching the project and/or screen shot?

TurkeyBranch
10-25-2007, 12:25 PM
I think I got it there

mtylerfl
10-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Hello,

The problem is with the original photo. The background of the photo has a quirk on the edge, so it makes it impossible for Designer to add the feather all the way around.

Re-check your photo, look at the background area at the "troublespot", then edit the photo and reimport into Designer.

If we could view the photo, then we could be more specific for you.

woodknack
10-25-2007, 01:05 PM
heres an eagle hedd for you.

Keenosan
10-25-2007, 04:13 PM
You could also place a rectangular carve region around the eagle and feather the carve region 1/2 inch, like this.

Lin
10-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Ed, Took the photo and got rid of the black line that was causing you issue. But becasue of the really dark feathers....it still did not look right for carving...so took just the head itself and looked much better for carving...but the eye still is not right...the pupil shouldn't drop in so deep.
Here's what I did with it. PTN and PNG file attached.
Lin

PS...don't understand...I uploaded a PNG file but it shows JPG?????

TurkeyBranch
10-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks, and thanks to eveyone else. I took the pic and reworked the background too, came out much better. :rolleyes:

Anyway, as far as the eye goes, i am going to put a glass eye in it to make it more realistic.

Ed

Lin
10-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Now that will look cool...please post a pic when you get it done
Lin

dcurrysr
10-25-2007, 08:53 PM
I loaded turkeybranch's mpc into designer, and saw the flaw. I hit the copy button and pasted the eagle on a new board (24"X11"), did a CCW rotation and all was okay. Have no idea why? But it fixed it on my new board.
Dave

TIMCOSBY
10-25-2007, 10:52 PM
I loaded turkeybranch's mpc into designer, and saw the flaw. I hit the copy button and pasted the eagle on a new board (24"X11"), did a CCW rotation and all was okay. Have no idea why? But it fixed it on my new board.
Dave

now that is strange it only works right with the head length wise across the board and the head up?????????

TurkeyBranch
11-01-2007, 01:18 PM
I have checked and rechecked the original pattern, there is no noise in it

I have also uploaded the mpc for anyone to look at

mtylerfl
11-01-2007, 01:50 PM
I have checked and rechecked the original pattern, there is no noise in it

I have also uploaded the mpc for anyone to look at

Hello TurkeyBranch,

The main problem is that the pattern is a "line drawing" rather than a true contoured relief pattern.

Because of this, the edges of all the "outlines" are more or less straight down rather than blended smoothly. This is the primary reason for the chipout and rough cutting. The cutting head can't help but knock off the thin, standup areas as it moves back and forth over the board.

A true relief pattern won't give you near as much grief as trying to carve that type of pattern - in soft woods especially. Hard woods tend to do better with "outlined" type patterns although they are not totally immune to chipout if the "lines" are too thin to hold up under the movement of the cutting process.

Not trying to plug our patterns, but rather help you understand the difference between relief patterns and "line" patterns. If you decide to try the following eagle pattern, you will experience a night and day difference in the quality of your carve: http://www.carvebuddy.com/birds.html

TurkeyBranch
11-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Ok, I see the difference it makes..............now a question. I have several line drawings that I REALLY want to make, can they be converted?

Ed

mtylerfl
11-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Ok, I see the difference it makes..............now a question. I have several line drawings that I REALLY want to make, can they be converted?

Ed

Hello Ed,

It all depends on the drawings. Sometimes it's best to make a 3D relief model from scratch.