PDA

View Full Version : Staining??

Jeton
10-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, not sure where to ask this....but i'm trying to figure out how you guys are doing the staining on things like this clock, i'm going to try to attack the pic of it, i got this from one of Dan-Woodman's posts (just using the pic to show what i'm talking about, hope that's ok)

how do you get the darker stain on just the carved areas?

oldjoe
10-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Don't worry about being in the right forum its the right group of people on here that will help you. I use it all the time for other stuff (wood related).
As far as getting the carved areas to come out darker depending on the wood you are using it always seems to happen that way because of all the end grains of the wood that is exposed due to the carving process. I know somebody that use to burn the areas or you can paint them and sand off the area around the pattern if you get paint on that surface then apply stain to the rest of it lots of things to try but its up to you what you want to try. I have even mixed Rustolium paint with Miniwax polyurethane to come up with a funky color.

TCboy
10-23-2007, 03:33 PM
have also seen projects where people burned the area they wanted darker. my opinion would be to listen to oldjoe. he knows what he's talking about, but its all up to what you want.

TurkeyBranch
10-23-2007, 07:01 PM
I use a artist paint brush and watch the edge. You can see how far the stain will absorb into the grain.
I know my way seems labor intensive..........sorry..........it's just the way I do it.

And yes, I have messed up a few time, more than a few times, ok already....many times :rolleyes:

So now I test on a scrap of the wood I cut from the board, it will give me a general idea how fat it will suck it up

Ed

Dan-Woodman
10-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey Jeton
Thanks for using my picture.
My wife stained the carvings with Minwax Early American Gel stain using an artist brush.
The wood is 3/4" Oak, and after staining, Minwax semi-gloss Poly was applyed.
The carving took about 3 1/2 hrs, just for the carving part.
Using gel stain keeps the stain from bleeding into the endgrain of the carving.

Later Daniel

mtylerfl
10-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Hello Jeton,

I use artist brushes as well for some multi-toned/stained projects. It can be a little nerve-wracking at times (fear of messing up).

I have an interesting project that I'm thinking I'll use different colors of stains to achieve shading effects for more "depth" to the finish. Maybe I'll try some gels as Dan-Woodman suggested on that one. Haven't tried gel stains before...sounds like it might give a little better control.

oldjoe
10-24-2007, 06:56 AM
One quick tip if you are going to burn the edges make sure you do not have any wood conditioner that is wet on the board. LOL Found this out one time neat flame look something OCC would be happy with but they didn't last long.

Kenm810
10-24-2007, 07:29 AM
I sometimes use a little water to lightly dampen the surface of my project board,
before going after the fuzzes with a torch.
I really don't want to take the chance of toasting the whole carving. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

JOHNB
10-24-2007, 12:54 PM
KEN, DID THAT LEAVE A BLISTER? lol

IM2HAPPI
10-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Ken, Your are just too funny. I swear, you have to be one of the nicest folks on here as well. Some never mention but some set back and go, has to be a great guy. Thanks for all you do. Tell Barbie we all like Ken ; )
Barb

Kenm810
10-25-2007, 03:41 PM
IM2HAPPI, Thanks for the kind words Barb -- (blushing) – Makes me really feel all worm and fuzzy. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_redface.gif

Ps. Barb says I’m to old and crotchety to blush, --- it must be gas.

mtylerfl
10-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Now THAT's a happy kitty!:D

Gman_Ind
10-26-2007, 07:37 AM
When staining or painting a carved recess and the surface is still flat some painting errors left on the surface can be sanded off, it helps if you seal the surface first, carve, then paint or stain, then sand of any oops, and then reseal and finish entire project.

RanUtah
10-27-2007, 11:21 PM
I think we could use a stand alone forum just for finishing projects, what do you guys think? If you do a search regarding different finishing subject, they are spread out in all the other forums.

rjp736
10-27-2007, 11:33 PM
RanUtah that is an excellent idea !

911guy
10-28-2007, 03:36 AM
I'd 2nd or 3rd that motion! Maybe not a forum but a "section" at least.

I think we could use a stand alone forum just for finishing projects, what do you guys think? If you do a search regarding different finishing subject, they are spread out in all the other forums.

want2b
10-30-2007, 11:50 AM
One of the ways I have had success is to set my carving a little deeper then stain the whole thing. then I run the carving through a thickness planer for a light pass. Guess that's hoping you have access to one.