PDA

View Full Version : Chess Set?

Jeton
10-23-2007, 05:01 AM
I'm curious if anyone has tried to do a chess set, or pieces on the CW...i know it cant do full on 3D, but i was thinking, if you carved one side and then the the other, and glued them together, to make the two halves a 3D chess piece ? ... did that make any sense?

anyways, just curious if the cw can do something like that

Jeton
10-23-2007, 05:16 AM
I guess i should use the search function "before" i post =)

i found an earlier post about chess sets, however it sounded like he was flipping the board over....can you do a carving on one side, flip it and carve the other side to make a 3D object like a chess piece or such....i'm guessing with a 1" depth max for cutting, the 3D item would only be able to be about 2" thick?

sorry for so many questions...i hope when i get the compucarve it'll answer alot of the questions i have, but prolly have me asking a dozen more =/

JOHNB
10-23-2007, 05:56 AM
Yes, It Can Be Done. I Did A Fish, Left And Right Side, Then Glued Together

Jeton
10-23-2007, 06:04 AM
Sweet, now i have to hunt down a Salmon side view, some chess sets side views, some bear side views, ..bleh, this on top of making a plaque for my Dog (recently passed away, after 13 years in the family), a clock for my wood shop, and a desk top clock for my computer room, and finally a display rack for some of the military coins i've collected over the years.

busy busy and i dont have my machine yet =/

Jeton
10-23-2007, 06:05 AM
btw, if someone has a good pattern for a cocker spaniel, I'd be most greatful

Router-Jim
10-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Someday I foresee someone with the right design program making a chess set on the Carvewright/CC in which the pieces are made up of stackable 1" sections. I think we are just starting to see the machine's potential. :cool:

Lin
10-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Check out this thread...someone has already made apattern for a chess set.
Lin
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4684&highlight=Chess

dragoncarver
10-25-2007, 11:10 AM
i did try carving the queen mention in the other thread it is not a true half so they come out 6 sided rather than 8 sided i set the depth so it did not cut all the way thru leaving 1/16 " this has sparked the interest of my children and i does anyone know how to fix this problem