PDA

View Full Version : Ball nose and straight?

Azbear
10-22-2007, 09:29 PM
To all the smart ones out there.

I want to use the 1/16" ballnose bit on the back and the main shape of the front. I also want to use the 1/8" straight bit to hack out the slots. Either I'm not smart enough to figure this out or designer wouldn't let me pick both. If I change one, designer uses that bit for all.

Any solutions? Can't be that hard, right?

BobHill
10-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Azbear,

You set the rectangles to CARVE REGION so it's going to use the default tool to do that. Instead, if you use SELECT PIT on each rectangle path. you have then the option of choosing any bit, and in this case the 1/8" straight bit. Your state outline is done in raster, so it's automatically also going to select the CARVING bit. So you want to use your vector tools (LINE SEGMENT TOOL) and create a vector path around the raster, then remove the raster. Be sure to leave a couple tabs on the vector outline and at least one tab per rectangle for safety, of course. You can then use the SELECT BIT option here as well. Do you actually have a straight 1/16" bit? That's not normally available and one has to really use such with care as it's very easy to break the bit when it's that small and going through any wood that''s set for a depth of 1" as you have.

I've made the above in designer as an MPC file and attached it, using the bits you asked for with all cuts to a 1" depth. I put tabs on the outline, BUT NOT on the rectangles.

Bob

Azbear
10-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey Bob,
The 1/16" straight is my mistake. Should have been 1/8" straight. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

BobHill
10-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Then that MPC should now work for you, Azbear.

Bob

Azbear
10-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Bob,

tweeked the dimensions a bit to make it work. It did carve nicely on my scrap piece. When I set up to carve on my better lumber, chuck problems. Bearing ring fell out and also chuck went south. LHR wants to look at it.

Also sent you a pm.

Thanks for the help.!!

BobHill
10-26-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you. I know it's got somewhat of a learning curve if you aren't familiar with creating vector images, but you can really benefit from using the vector tools in Designer with a little patience. Good luck with your bit and coupling problem. LHR should fix it right up for you.

Bob