PDA

View Full Version : Bits wont stay seated.

STEAM
10-21-2007, 06:16 PM
I have had a very disappointing day with my CW. I have now owned it for a month and only had one successful project complete. That was my first one. I have had to contact LHR about my board sensor. They sent a new one and that was corrected . With my work schedule I can only spen time with the CW on weekends. I have tried carving three different projects today and each time the chuck has released the bit shortly after starting to carve. I have cleaned and lubed the chuck. but to no avail. I have noticed that it will not **** into the open position. I can hold it open and insert the bit. It does go firmly into place and does not wiggle. Shortly after starting it throws the bit. When I first got the machine I broke both the cutting and carving bits that came with it. I think now that it must have had this problem when I got it but due to my inexperience I thought I was the cause. Now I'm not so sure.
It's not plunging the bits so much as it seems to be releasing them. Tomorrow I will call LHR but I was hoping that some of you could give advice on what I could try,
Thanks

One more thing. The woods I tried today were oak and pine.

Digitalwoodshop
10-21-2007, 08:28 PM
I had a new chuck that would throw bits like that and nothing I did made it any better. Lucky the Z Belt broke and they fixed it under warranty and replaced the chuck.

The screws on the side of the bit holder could have some stray Lock Tite causing a problem holding the bit, check that. Wire brush the sides. Have you used any emery paper or a file on the upper lip of the bit holder? A bad thing to do as it rounds it over letting it let go of a bit easier. There are cases when it is necessary but I found my chuck was bad causing the burr I was sanding. New Chuck no more burr. One V60 bit let go and hit the cover so hard it tripped the machine off with a open cover. I had PTS, Post Traumatic Stress not trusting the Chuck for a while as I was walking away when ELvis Left the Building.....

If you don't have the Wrench and socket adapter and a hair dryer get them.... You need to heat the chuck for a few minutes to soften the lock tite. You need a good wrench and square drive to get the chuck off. Holding the top Square Drive solid you turn your wrench from Right to Left as you stand in front of the machine. If you get confused, I DID.... Just look at your Router, it's the same direction....

RJustice has a set of FANTASTIC TOOLS that you need to have.... Long ago I had the ground off allen wrench and short wrench from LHR to change the chuck and STRIPPED the Square Drive resulting in a trip to LHR. They covered it under warranty but a trip today out of warranty trip could buy 10 sets of wrenches... Money WELL SPENT. And the Wrench is LONGER and well built.

Good Luck,

AL

STEAM
10-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks Al for the info. I called LHR this evening and they are sending a new chuck. I'll contact RJustice and order the tools.
Thanks again. :D