PDA

View Full Version : Loose wheel on y-truck

S. Chase
10-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Hello,

I just changed out my board sensor and noticed that the bottom left wheel on the y-truck is loose. The screw on the wheel is not loose but the wheel is loose. The right side is tight and does not lift off the track, but the left one has about 1/16" play and allows the carriage to lift from the track (not off completely).
Can I squeeze it tighter with a small clamp since the screw is still tight?

Thanks
Scott

Jeff_Birt
10-20-2007, 02:03 PM
No squeezing! Just to make sure we are on the same page, the Y-truck runs F-R, Z-truck U-D. For the Y-Truck, the top two bearings are on eccentric shafts for digestibility, the bottom two are on straight shafts. If there is play on the bottom left (but the axle it tight) the bearing may be damaged. Repair will require you to remove the Y/Z assembly. May be a good idea to call CW first.

Digitalwoodshop
10-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Is this the one???

If it is.... The left bearings on the Z Truck are drilled and taped in the center and held tight with a screw.

The 2 on the right are drilled and tapped offset to allow you to use a thin wrench to turn the bearing as it is offset and turning it will increase or decrease the distance between the left and right bearings making it tighter or looser.

Use your newest Philip's #2 Screwdriver as the screws are SOFT and the heads will strip. I ordered new screws from LHR when I replaced the Z Bearings as my unit was out of warranty and I had experience with them. They may not sell you or anyone the bearings as it is work that requires..... I can't think of an appropriate word..... It's a very high skill required task. Too loose and the thing may fly apart and you or someone gets hurt.... Or Too Tight and the bearings freeze up damaging the Z Motor.

Here are the pictures. The Wrench came with my HVLP sprayer to take the trigger apart.

Eccentric Bearing was the word I was looking for, not offset.

AL

In the 3rd picture you see what looks like bearings missing. A plastic retainer came out when I was digging around with a scribe trying to hold the nut and tighten the screw. The bearing space is designed that way so they can load the bearings into it then the plastic retainer keeps it all spaced so it works properly.

S. Chase
10-21-2007, 02:11 PM
The bottom left slider thing is loose. It allows the truck to lift away from the horizontal y-axis slider bar. The screw is not loose to twist, but it still has play. My guess was that what ever the screw is tightly attached to in the bottom left slider/guide has wiggled loose due to vibration. I figured that the part that the screw is tight with was cold pressd or squeezed together. That was why i suggested a tiny clamp to re-set the parts.

Also now appearing is a close lid error when the door is closed, not all the time but can happen even with my hand on the lid.

Thanks for you help,
Scott

Digitalwoodshop
10-21-2007, 06:55 PM
So it is the Y drive..... If I remember right it is the same deal with an eccentric bearing opposite a solid one. To remove the Y you would need to loosen the 2 eccentric bearings not to mention the Belt Tension adjustment. Then properly tighten the one that was loose using some Lock tight..

To fix it you would need to remove the Y Truck, not a job for the faint of heart as it involves removing the drive belt and loosening the 2 top bearings that have the nut for a wrench.

If your unit is still in warranty I believe LHR will want your unit back so they could do the repair. Bearings are one thing that they are not comfortable with users playing with for a number of very good reasons. There might be vibration issues causing the loose nut. That is what caused my bearing to loosen.

Found some pictures. Note the Screw Hole is off center plus a Nut type head is on the bearing to allow the turning of the bearing to make the distance greater or closer making the Y tight on the rails.

Note picture 2 in the above post. You can see the center tapped and offset tapped bearings. A mini Anatomy of Bearing 101...

Close Cover error is just the loose plug in the back... Depending on what circuit board here is a picture of the plug to look at. It's the wires from the left cover switch to the board.

I post the pictures so you and everyone can see what you are getting into. If in Warranty send it in.... If not, your call. If you attempt this then the soft screws will most likely strip. When I ended up changing all 4 bearings on my 400 plus hour Z truck I had to drill 2 of 4 screws. I ordered screws when I bought the bearings, I saw it coming.

AL

S. Chase
10-22-2007, 04:21 PM
I will call LHR and start the proccess since I am still under warranty.

Maybe all of my little problems are a sign of something I don't even see yet.

Thanks,
Scott