PDA

View Full Version : Get Ready! New user on board

geddins
10-19-2007, 02:16 PM
After reading through this board for a few days asking a few questions, etc etc...I ordered my machine through Sears this morning.....then to my suprise, about an hour later an email arrived saying it was ready to be picked up! When I placed the order it estimated delivery to the store on the 24th....so anyway...I've got a big ole box in the back of my truck...gonna be a late nite.

I'm going to do my best to be a good forum member...do searches before asking questions, etc...but I'll probably be bugging you all to death. I appreciate the help and helpful attitude this forum has displayed so far. I'm looking forward to enjoying my CompuCarve!

All the best
G

rjp736
10-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Welcome aboard. As far as questions go, ask away. You'll find MOST of us don't mind answering questions and frown on the response "Do a search". There is no stupid question and we've all had them....those that will admit it at least. Happy carving.

oldjoe
10-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of carving, hope you have fun with your new toy. Don't worry about the questions you have your choice do a search or just ask it. But the search can be a valuable tool. If you need a question answered quickly it the best way to start. Otherwise someone like me may answer your question and I maybe wrong :rolleyes:,

Jeff_Birt
10-19-2007, 03:03 PM
geddins, welcome aboard.

Seems like your started on the right track: reading up, learning how to search the forum, etc. I think you'll find that the users manual and the Designer help file (Designer help manual, there is a link on here for a PDF version too), will also be a big help.

As you have figured out already, the 'Search' tool is your best friend. And if it doesn't turn up the exact answer you have at least been able to zero in closer on your problem.

Kenm810
10-19-2007, 03:22 PM
geddins,

Remember when you ask a question,
the answers can often benefit everyone.
And Please don't forget to post photos,
lots of photos, we carvers luv photos.

mtylerfl
10-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Hello geddins,

Welcome. You are on your way to a great new adventure in woodworking! We sure look forward to seeing all the wonderful things you'll create with your new machine!

geddins
10-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes folks! I'm pretty stoked about the possibilities with this machine and look forward to using it. I know there'll be some bumps along the way but I'm convinced it's gonna be a good thing for me.

Hopefully I'll actually be able to contribute around here before it's all said and done :p

Thanks again
G

geddins
10-19-2007, 09:04 PM
After getting home, unpacking the machine, eating dinner, etc etc ....reading manual, installing software...blah blah blah....I was able to fiddle round a little bit tonight. Just did a very simple little name plate, not fancy, not clean, but it impressed me greatly. I've got some more bits coming (the ones Sears sells)....what other bits am I gonna want? :D

Here's my first carving...for my youngest

oldjoe
10-20-2007, 12:57 AM
The bits you want will kind of depend on what you plan to do. I use a 60 deg bit for lettering or a 90 deg.

geddins
10-20-2007, 05:25 AM
Thanks for your info Joe....what about for routing? Do you just use standard 1/4" straight router bits, stuck into bit adaptors, or something else?

G

hray
10-20-2007, 10:57 AM
welcome to the world of carving if an old fool like me can get beatiful peices
out this mch anyone can you will become adicted to it posiblitys:rolleyes:

Dan-Woodman
10-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Giddins
You can use any bit that halfway resembles the ones in the software.
Just don't use bits with pilot bearings.
Plunge bits, endmills,V-bits etc. are all exceptable, depending on what your doing.

geddins
10-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys....appreciate all the answers...now I'm off to the "software" forum to try to figure out how to convert something I have in CorelDraw to a pattern....wish me luck!

Router-Jim
10-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I questioned whether I should mention this yesterday because of your excitement, but figured you wouldn't mind if I can save you some money. :cool:

Tomorrow (Oct. 21) the CompuCarve goes on the Craftsman Club sale. Sears is good about honoring sale prices within 30 days of purchase, so you should be able to go back and get almost a $200 refund. :D

Isn't this forum great? :D

geddins
10-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I questioned whether I should mention this yesterday because of your excitement, but figured you wouldn't mind if I can save you some money. :cool:

Tomorrow (Oct. 21) the CompuCarve goes on the Craftsman Club sale. Sears is good about honoring sale prices within 30 days of purchase, so you should be able to go back and get almost a $200 refund. :D

Isn't this forum great? :D

Whoa!!! Thanks a bunch RJ! More bit money! :-)