PDA

View Full Version : How much detail can this machine do? Heavy Reliefs?

Jeton
10-19-2007, 04:49 AM
I just saw this machine at sears and talk to them about it, and they didnt know alot so i've got some questions if you guys dont mind. Sears is getting more of these at the end of this month and i'm trying to do some research on it before i decide to drop the cash on it.

First, does this thing use standard router bits? or do i need to buy special ones only for use with the compucarve?

How much detail can this do on deep heavy reliefs? i read the machine can only do 15" wide, and depending on the weight of the wood on the length.

I'm mainly just wanting to do plaques (i'm military, and would be great for ppl leaving or awards)

but wouldnt mind some other crafty projects for selling at some craft shows during the summer months here in alaska like the plagues with the wildlife scenes on them, like the moose, bear and fish (anyone have a good salmon project?)

also, how well would this do at cutting out an outline of a project in 1.5" wood? standard stuff at lumber yard, nothing like oak, but the boards of 2X10's...if i wanted to cut out the profile of say...a bear, would this cut all the way thru the wood? or does it only route and i'd have to bandsaw the rest?

thanks in advance for any info on this machine, so far it seems like it can do some pretty neat stuff.

oh, are there any problems with the current machines coming from sears? i read some reviews and it sounded like alot of issues, but most of those post's were over a year old.

Jeff_Birt
10-19-2007, 08:12 AM
First Welcome to the forum.

CW has recently added a good FAQ section to their main website which will probably answer many of your questions: http://www.carvewright.com/faq/faq.html

As for bits, the carving and cutting bits that come with the machine are somewhat unique. Precisebits.com does offer a nice carving bit for the machine. CW sells a selection of bits with other profiles. These are the only bits set up in the software. You can use 'similar' bits. 1" is the maximum depth of cut.

The would you carve needs to be straight and flat, I would not recommend try to carve onto standard 2x dimensional lumber. Spend some time searching through the forum and do lots of reading. This will answer most of your questions and generate a few new ones.

I got a kick out of the Sears reviews you mentioned. I liked the one where the guy said "Oh my god it so so loud I had to take it back!"; obviously some poor soul who thought it was some type of wood 'printer' and had no experience with even a hand held router.

oldjoe
10-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Jeton
The machine has great detail if you want you can go to the CW website and go thru the customer gallery. Great examples of what the machines capabities are and the things all the creative people on this forum are doing with there machines. Some clean up and sanding will be required,
As far as bits it will depend on what you are doing. For all your carving or rastor cutting you have to use the 1/16" ball nose bit. and if you doing a cut out of a board like a shaped plaque you will use the 1/8" spiral cutting bit. Both come with the machine when you purchase it and they are solid carbide. As far as other bits CW website sells all the other ones that are on the list in the designer software. But you do not have to buy their bits you can use other manufactures bits with simalar profiles. Or even some different profiles if you so desire
Hope this helps. Also where are you in Alaska?

oldjoe
10-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Jeff you must type faster then me :D

Jeton
10-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Anchorage, I'm Stationed at Elmendorf =)

I've been looking at a TON of post's and other sites trying to see what all this thing can do, and so far it looks like it can handle a large range of projects and crafts...lol, i'd be happy to setup up something like this machine and do some crafts for the summer craft market here in AK. I'm sure anything with fish, bears, moose and salmon on it would do well i'd think.

I'm sure this thing cant be much louder then my router or planner running, only problem is i'm normally not running them for a solid 3 or 8 hours =)
i read that this thing can take some time to do some projects, some even taking upto 12 hours (i think that was a scan probe job tho)

i have a planner, bandsaw, scrollsaw, router in table, compound sliding miter, drill press, belt sander, and a host of other hand held tools for woodworking, but i really dont have a direction on what to build with them all lol...i'm going to add a jointer, and this machine to my lil workshop and hopefully i'll be able to start working on some crafts out of my home in my spare time for family and friends and awards for some guys at work....and maybe i'll be able to come up with something to make acouple bucks here and there. I really like some of the clocks i saw posted in these forums, as soon as i get the machine, a new shop clock is the first thing i'll be working on =)

Kenm810
10-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Jeton,

With the inventory of tools and machines you have listed I can see your well on your way to building anything you want.
I didn't have half of that stuff the first few years I worked aa finish carpenter and cabinet maker.
I have no doubt you will really enjoy working with your new carving machine.