PDA

View Full Version : Cup shapes

Thomas Reno
10-19-2007, 03:43 AM
I want to make some trays to fit into jewelry boxes that have cup shaped indentions using the 1/2" ball nose bit. It seems that rout region should be the answer but there is no bit selection available.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dan-Woodman
10-19-2007, 05:46 PM
What you may have to do is create a carve region, smaller than your finished region, so that will be carved with the 1/16" bit (all carve regions are) and then outline the carveregion with a path line and apply the 1/2" ballnose to this pathline at the same depth as your carve region creating the roundover bottom your looking for.

Make your carve region 1/2" smaller than your finished region, because the pathline bit centers on the line you create. Does that make any sence?

HighTechOkie
10-20-2007, 10:11 AM
The Carve Region uses the pattern bit that is chosen in Edit>Board Settings tab. The largest option is 1/4" ballnose.

To create the bowl shape, draw a rectangle the desired finish size, then choose Tools>Select Surface. Click on the + beside Domes. Choose either vertical or horizontal dome depending on the desired direction of the compartment. Play with depth and height settings to achieve desired effect.

Thomas Reno
10-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Hey I really like this option. I did try something very similar to what Dan suggested and it worked quite well. This one however sounds like an even better approach.