PDA

View Full Version : Routed edge off by a thread

docmjn
10-18-2007, 08:37 PM
My machine worked pefectly, I thought, after changing out my Z-motor, a new chuck and new traction pads. The carving was beautiful, but when it came time to rout the edges, the piece must have shifted off angle by only a degree. The result was a terribly unevenly routed edge.
The carving took 4 hrs, but the routing at the end ruined the project.
Any suggestions on how to stop this from happening... short of routing the edges on a different router at the end of the carving?
Thanks

Kenm810
10-18-2007, 09:00 PM
docmjn,

The same thing has happened to me a couple of times.
When the machine is routing the ends of the project, it is holding the board in place with only one pressure roller, and if there is any play in the guide and pressure plates on the sides of the project board, it can drift, one or two degrees can mess up a nice carving. Also it’s wise to check the pressure rollers. Over time the optimum of 85lb.s can and will change.
The last time I checked mine with a bath room scale, after 5 clicks I was down to 63lb, and was letting the project slip on the traction belts causing stair stepping plus playing havoc with my board measurements.

ps. I do all my end and side routing out side the machine now
it's quicker and saves warranty time on the cut motor and machine.

docmjn
10-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks,
I'll check that in the morning. I have an old bathroom scale out there some where in the garage.

Jeff_Birt
10-18-2007, 09:12 PM
If there are any defects in the bottom-front edge of your board it can cause the board tracking sensor to improperly measure the movement of the board in the X axis (L-R when standing at keypad).