PDA

View Full Version : Sled?

geddins
10-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Another newbie question here, I've not found anything pertaining exactly to what I'm seeking. On the main CW page, there's a pic of the machine cutting out a guitar body. Is that being done on a sled? If so, is that a necessary accessory for doing that type of work?

I'm close to getting this machine...Sears has a "zero interest for 12 month" deal until Saturday....I'm thinkin it's gonna happen.

G

Kenm810
10-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Sleds are a fixture or aid in some of your projects.
You can and will build them to suit your needs as the carving project require them.
No big deal.

geddins
10-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks Kenm810.

I'm searchin and learning as I can! :p

Digitalwoodshop
10-18-2007, 09:20 PM
A Sled has sides that the rollers press down on and the wood inside the sled needs to be fastened down. Using the feature like place project on the END of board lets you set up a project to just drop in a new wood blank and you can repeat the same project over and over.

A Carrier board is the same width of your board and the carrier board does not have sides. The rollers press the boards together. I use it to make clocks with a 6 inch scrap block then my clock blank then another scrap block. I use masking tape to hold it together and it works fine.

Good Luck,

AL

woodknack
10-18-2007, 11:53 PM
digitalworkshop,
Got any pictures of your sled. Id love to see them. Thanks

Kenm810
10-19-2007, 07:55 AM
woodknack,

Here's some photos of a few of mine with and with out rails plus there's a ton more in this Forum.
If you do a Search on (Sleds, Scanner Sleds, Carrier Boards or how to Build Sleds).
You'll find enough info and reading material for the whole weekend. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Digitalwoodshop
10-19-2007, 12:43 PM
I just use carrier boards.

AL

Jeton
10-22-2007, 04:33 AM
digitalwoodshop, when you build them clocks like that...do you cut it out with a bandsaw after it's carved? or just leave them square?

I'd love to do a clock like that for my shop, a bear (either burned or painted black) with some red or black lettering

I'm still trying to figure out how it's done....dont have my machine yet, gotta wait till it shows up at sears..hopefully another week at the most, then i can start making some saw dust =)