PDA

View Full Version : Help with tabbing

dbfletcher
10-18-2007, 12:11 PM
I want to carve tombstones for haloween (See attached file). I'm using 12 in x .5 lumber. My question is : what's the best what to tab the top arc so when it cuts that piece the small pices don't jam in the machine. Is there an easy way to "shorten" an arc? The the tab would be a snap. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Doug

woodknack
10-18-2007, 12:36 PM
what i would try is to make the tombstone on a larger board and the use cutout for the shpe of the head stone. Its will incert its own tabs.

Then I would rout the edges with a router table or hand held router.

dbfletcher
10-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Beleive it or not, I dont own a handheld router or table router. I'm trying to do as much as possible with just the Compucarve. Am I wasting my time? For all the great feautures this machine has, certainly there is a way to do this just using the machine itself.... even if it is not the most efficient or best way to accomplish my end result.

Thanks,

Doug

dbfletcher
10-18-2007, 02:46 PM
In the help menu, there is a section as show below:

Rout Tool
The Rout Tool allows a figure to be broken into a number of sections, each one with an independently assignable bit or depth profile. Select the Rout Tool from the Tools toolbar, and then select one of the figures on the board.

Is this something that has been removed from the software? I can seem to find this item.

Thanks,

Doug

Ivanq
10-18-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm no expert by any means but I think I would try it this way. All carving and cuts are done with the CC (with no tabs) and it looks like it would only take 1 hour and 42 minutes on best.

Notice I did not use 'cut path' as I think there are some limitations using that tool.

This requires a sled. Also the board thickness would have to be set to the sled + the half inch of the project.

If anyone sees where I made an error please let me know as I'm still a newbie and need all the help I can get.

This may help:
http://myweb.cableone.net/kpack/nra/NRA%20Tutorial.htm

Cliff in Roswell

woodknack
10-19-2007, 12:07 AM
That was a great tutourial !! I learned something on that one.. Its people like you that keeps me modavated.
keep up the good work!! :D

TIMCOSBY
10-24-2007, 11:22 PM
i would not run the router bit all the way through the board maybe leave a 1/16" the do a cut path along the arc. it will leave tabs to hold the top to the other peice. the arc has to go off each edge or cut path will not work.