PDA

View Full Version : Sensor Problems

GRASSHOPPER
10-16-2007, 04:38 PM
I really hate to start ANOTHER thread on the sensor but I have spent an hour looking for the same problem and can't find the same thing.
The failures are during measuring board, I get Clear board sensor and when trying to measure board i get
Edge detection failed
Error 400. Press Stop.

I went to sensor check in the main menu options and the only thing it will do is tell me if the cover switch is open or closed. I did this check with LHR a while back so I know it should work.

Jeff_Birt
10-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Scroll through the sensor check menu until you get to the board sensor screen.

GRASSHOPPER
10-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Jeff,

From the main menu I press options and scroll down to #7 Sensor Check.

I press ENTER expecting to get a menu and the only thing that comes up is a message that the cover switch is open or closed.

GRASSHOPPER
10-16-2007, 05:04 PM
I have to go help a friend unload a truck. I'll be back later.

Thanks

oldjoe
10-16-2007, 05:06 PM
you will have to scoll down thru that message to do this just push the arrow down buttons. I think the next one is something about rolleres compressed or not and then if you scroll down more a board sensor message should come up and it will have a reading should be 150 or so if memory serves me right. I hope I helped with this. I am not by my machine so I can't check how accurate my directions are,

Dirtydan
10-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Been there, done this....

First, close the cover, now push the down arrow until you get to the sensor you want to check... "Board Sensor" and go from there... The higher the number the better...

Chances are you have one of the following problems:
- The board sensor is dirty, Easy to fix, but you have to be carful when you remove the two screws and the sensor. A little blast of "Canned Air" or compressed air will remove most of the dust. Repeat until the sensor apperas to be clean. When you re-install the sensor, be sure everything is flush with the truck and no wires are visable sticking out of the back side on top.
- If you are using a dark wood or the wood has deep contrast between colors, put a 1/2" strip of masking tape on all the edges.
- Here's another very important one and this sometimes shows up on the "Check Board" error, make sure the board is square. The machines checks the width twice but in two different locations. It appears that if these measurements are not the same you will get the "Check Board" error... Simple fix... Set the fence on your table saw to 1/16th less than the width for the board. Trim... Flip the board over and remove another 1/16th from the other side. Now the board should be exactly the same width no matter where the machine takes it's measurements.

Hope this helps...

Jeff,

From the main menu I press options and scroll down to #7 Sensor Check.

I press ENTER expecting to get a menu and the only thing that comes up is a message that the cover switch is open or closed.

GRASSHOPPER
10-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks,

I found the right place and got a reading of 126 with red oak and 0 with the head raised. That is a little low according to the book so the sensor probably has to come off and be cleaned.

I have my physical tomorrow so this will probably wait till Thursday.

oldjoe
10-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Good luck with the physical hope your board sensors are okay ;)
May not want the doc to blow them out though with compressed air or the cold canned stuff

Digitalwoodshop
10-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Red Oak is the problem.... It's most likely too dark to detect properly. Remove the board and cover it with blue painters tape , brown masking tape or white paper and masking tape.

Here is a board covered in blue tape, green decking. Still snow in the picture.

Everybody should take a piece of white copy paper and place it on a board and using the options find out the standard number that you should expect to see when your board detector is working properly. I believe my white paper is 156 and 4 cranks up the number drops with each crank to zero. That cranking the head up is an important test to do.... Tells you sensitivity.

I did eventually find my white paper reading was in the low 20's. I then knew I had a problem and removing the sensor I found the area behind the lens was dirty with dust.... So only remove the sensor if you really need to. It's like removing your tire from the rim to check for leaks when you could have just used a tire gage and measure the pressure to a KNOWN STANDARD.... 32 Pounds Per Square Inch...... Every time you remove that sensor you are one pull of the wires from creating the conditions for a future shorted wire. I know this first hand.... The wire was pulled too hard to get the plug off and pulled the wires from the top of the Z. It shorted a few days later... under Warranty no problem... Out of Warranty your about to invest between $200.00 and $400.00 including shipping both ways to get it fixed.

I am stepping off my Soap Box now....

AL