PDA

View Full Version : Probe not going down to surface

dougmsbbs
10-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Just a heads up: When I got my probe Monday, it wouldn't go down to find the surface when I was setting up a scan. I worked on it last night, and was all set to call the boys in Texas today when I took one last shot at it.
I found the screws that held the probe in the bit adapter were loose from the factory. After tightening them up, the probe started to work. I'm still not happy with the results yet, but at least I have it working.
Maybe this can save someone else some frustration...

Beerfaced
11-22-2008, 06:29 PM
I just took my new probe out of the box and found those same screws very loose. No problem, tightened them but then when loaded up couldn't get a closed reading on the probe. The solution, after re-reading everything and looking at tons of issues on here, was to roughly wiggle the probe tip around to free up some sticky contacts. Worked just fine after that. I was almost ready to return it to the store though so I hope this can help someone. Also, blow out the dust from the connector (mine is on the side), Amazing how much was in there. I will fit some type of cap over that from now on.

Robert

bfcg
02-11-2009, 10:57 AM
I just took my new probe out of the box and found those same screws very loose. No problem, tightened them but then when loaded up couldn't get a closed reading on the probe. The solution, after re-reading everything and looking at tons of issues on here, was to roughly wiggle the probe tip around to free up some sticky contacts. Worked just fine after that. I was almost ready to return it to the store though so I hope this can help someone. Also, blow out the dust from the connector (mine is on the side), Amazing how much was in there. I will fit some type of cap over that from now on.

Robert
Not too sure about "sticky" contacts. Just by touching the probe wire and re-orienting it might have temporarally solved your problem. Bad solder joint has been the cause of a few problems I have read here including my own.
Test that probe on some small objects that are expendabele before you go doing an overnight scan where the machine will be left unattended.
I have had several aborted scans because of a bad wire. At one point my probe was actually stabbing right through my work because of a short it was stuck "closed". Ended up bending my tip.
Tha tip was never straight to begin with. Might have been a factory rebuild or something. You would think that the tip should be perpindicular to the housing of the adapter. My came out of the box slightly cocked to one side.
The nut that holds the tip on the triangular contact plate didnt even seat flat. Rather than waiting several weeks for a replacement for something that could have been built better in the first place, I completely rebuilt mine. Solder joints,new tip and all. That puppy is perfect now.