PDA

View Full Version : Carving image of the woman...

t.karlmann@comcast.net
10-15-2007, 12:54 AM
I am brand new to this whole Carvewright system -- I just saw it today at the Odeum near Chicago for the first time. Of course, I have boatloads of questions, and do not have a machine yet. :o

Of all the sample images shown presently on the website, one stands out as having seemingly a MUCH greater amount of detail than all the others -- the image of the girl-woman in what looks like a high-fashion pose with hair blowing. How is this done?

I know, now, that cast acrylic plastic needs to be used, but how is the image processed to get the result shown? Is the lighting for the resulting image critical? There are very dark portions of this image -- how is this accomplished?

My application for this machine revolves around my ability to offer clients carvings of themselves that they would have no trouble recognizing as themselves. If I bought the machine, and could not produce results shown like that of the Woman in the Gallery -- this would be bad. :( Any help appreciated.

Jeff_Birt
10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
First, welcome to the forum.

These are called lithopanes, and yes the back light is very important. The machine carves the lighter areas of the photograph deeper than the darker areas. Thus, when backlit more light makes passes through the more deeply carved areas and you get the effect of a BW photo. Without a back light they look quite bad.

You can use the 'Search' feature of the forum to find out even more information on lithopanes. Many folks have been making them on the machine and have provided lots of information on settings.