PDA

View Full Version : Font Chatter

gtj44
10-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I've looked at few samples of work done by others regarding fonts, both raster and outline. They all seem to a very clean cut. My fonts all seem to have chatter marks on the side walls for raster cuts. On the outlines, I use a 60 degree bit about .150" deep. Same thing, lots of vertical ridges. Is this typical or is there a problem with this machine. it's been this way since day one.

mtylerfl
10-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Hello gtj44,

That is typical and normal. A Dremel-type tool is your new friend!

For raster letter cuts, you can eliminate a lot of the chatter by creating your text elements in a program like CorelDraw (then importing them into Designer), using a technique Jon Jantz created a tutorial for several months back.

The tutorial is a video called "How to Make an Address Sign in CorelDraw". It shows the method of applying slight gradients on the edges of the letters, creating a slight "edge-slope" effect, enabling lettered text (and other design elements) to carve more smoothly.

Here is the link:
http://www.allcw.com/Tutorials.html

If you use the Centerline cut (vector) for lettering, of course that won't apply, nor will you get the chattering like you observed on your rastered letters.

JOHNB
10-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Gtj44, I Just Did This With The Blur Tool In Paint.net----no Chatter

oldjoe
10-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Just out of curiosity are you using the best mode or regular mode?
And another thing what type of fonts are you using some seem to work better then others .
Just a couple of thoughts.

JOHNB
10-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Joe, That Font Is Copperplate Gothic Bold.