PDA

View Full Version : Load bit error message

jimbu
10-13-2007, 05:50 PM
I spend hours trying to get passed the load bit error message.
It sure takes all the fun out of using the Carvewright.
I called support and the guy who answered said to put a dime just above the brass wheel, I did and it ran, he said he would send a part to correct the problem.
What I got was a little clip that snapped over the bridge between the 2 V shaped sections. That did not cure the problem. About every tenth time I hit enter after being asked to install a bit that is already installed the machine takes off running and completes the project. My options show 287 hours of on time and 28 hours of cutting time. The rest of the on time is me trying to get the machine to run.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Jim

woodknack
10-13-2007, 07:22 PM
ok I had that problem the other day. When it ask you to load the bit and you hit enter it goes over and the bit trys to touch the bit plate on the right hand side. Heres the problem on mine, the bit plate wasnt coming out all the way and the bit wasnt touching the bit plate. So I blew out the bit plate with air and lubed it with dry graphite lube this time. I used a wet lube before and the saw dust just sticks to everything and causes things not to work properly. I also lubed the part of the plate where the z truck comes in contact with it. I then moved the z truck by hand back and forth into the bit plate to make sure it was coming out ok when it was hit by the z truck. After that everything went well. Hope this is your problem..

P.S. I think its fun trying to figure these little problems out. You have to keep this machine very clean and well lubed..

Dirtydan
10-13-2007, 08:56 PM
This problem can also be cause by carving material trapped in the 'Y' truck channel which prevents the 'Y' truck from going all the way over. You might even see it go over and then move back a little, just enough to keep the truck from striking the bit plate and moving it into place. Some people forget to vacum / blow out that area.

PhotoProf
10-13-2007, 09:09 PM
I had this problem (bit plate locator) on my first machine. I ended up putting a little shim of brass (I believe is was about 1/16" thick attached with 3M double faced auto accessory tape) on the lower front side of the truck and this would hit the locator plate and push it out to the correct location.

Tamib
10-14-2007, 08:52 AM
I am also having this problem! My machine wants the 1/8...I install, then wants the 1/16 bit, I install....then keeps asking me for the 1/16 bit....this is installed....I finally aborted the project....frustrating!!! I keep my machine clean after all projects. This is a neat machine, but frustrating when errors continously pop up...noe I am receiving a Z-Axel Stall...whatever this is...:???:

Dirtydan
10-14-2007, 10:25 AM
I've gotten in the habit of cleaning the machine between bit changes. For one reason I like to put a towel under the QRC when I change bits so the bit doesn’t bounce around when I take it out... I always vacuum the bit plate area and the channel the 'Y' truck drive belt runs in.

Jeff_Birt
10-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Folks, when you have problems with bit location it helps to be very observant. When you first install the bit and close the cover it will spin the bit for a second, then it brings the bit to the front of the machine, then to the back to touch the bit plate (the part that flips out), and then back to the front, ending with a few touch downs on the board.

What part of this process is it stopping in? It is common to have problems with the bit plate not coming out all the way. This causes the bit to not touch down on it properly throwing off all subsequent observations.

jimbu
10-14-2007, 12:04 PM
My machine does all the steps up to locating the board then goes to the far right side of the board and stops and ask for the bit. I hit enter and it does the same process over and over again and again. I finally put a piece of foam in back of the lever to keep it out where the bit will "see" it and it then runs OK.
These "Nasa" guys should have made sure there product was ready for the market before offering it for sale! I was impressed with the "retired Nasa scientist" bit in there advertisement, but I am no longer so impressed with that "title".
Jim

Jeff_Birt
10-14-2007, 12:51 PM
There is a PDF in the first thread of the troubleshooting section that goes through troubleshooting a bit plate problem: http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2073

look at post #10.