PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh

jimbu
10-12-2007, 01:30 PM
I have serched the web to find carving patterns compatiable with Macintosh and have been unable to find any.
Can someone tell me where to go?

DocWheeler
10-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Jimbu,

Patterns are files - they are not operating system specific.

mtylerfl
10-12-2007, 01:50 PM
I have serched the web to find carving patterns compatiable with Macintosh and have been unable to find any.
Can someone tell me where to go?

Hello Jim,

All .ptn files work exactly the same regardless whether you own a Mac or PC. Any commercial .ptn files you downloaded must be unzipped then imported into your software before they become "active". Perhaps you missed these important steps.

One of our friendly Forum Moderators is a Mac user (his handle is 'pkunk'). Perhaps he can help answer any questions you may have that are Mac related. Again, .ptn files are the same no matter if you use a PC or Mac system.

jimbu
10-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Why then do I get these error messages?
"There is no default application to open the document"?
And " The file oak tree 75X11-1 ptn does not appear to be compressed or encoded. It is advised that you get further information about the contents of this file from the sender or provider of the file".
The second error message is from "Stuffit"
Jim

mtylerfl
10-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Why then do I get these error messages?
"There is no default application to open the document"?
And " The file oak tree 75X11-1 ptn does not appear to be compressed or encoded. It is advised that you get further information about the contents of this file from the sender or provider of the file".
The second error message is from "Stuffit"
Jim

Hello,

You must be trying to open the zip file directly...you cannot do that. You must unzip the file first, then it becomes a .ptn file. After that, you need to use the pattern import function in Designer to get the file into the Pattern List.

Jeff_Birt
10-12-2007, 02:39 PM
You do not 'Open' pattern files, they are imported into Designer. Take a look at this picture from another posts that explains the process.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1463&d=1169704356

mtylerfl
10-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Hello Jim,

I found this on a search for Mac users having problems unzipping files. Don't know if this applies to your particular system problem or not...

"StuffIt, which was once a Mac OS essential, has become unreliable and, to some extent, redundant. I strongly recommend using the Apple utility with the horrible name (BOMArchiveHelper) as your default unzipping utility on OS X."

jimbu
10-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Michael
I have an intel mac running 10.4> I have done several searchs and can not locate BOMArchiveHelper. Not in libiary. Please give me the path. Jim

Kenm810
10-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Jim,

Don't know if this will help --- I did a quick search on Google, and this was my first and second hit.

mtylerfl
10-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Hello Jim,

Not being a Mac user myself, I'm limited in my ability to assist you in the operation of your particular computer system. However, I did find the following that will hopefully be of some help...

"BOMArchiveHelper is the default archive file handler in MacOS X. It is a service application that has no GUI when double-clicked rather it is invoked by opening its associated files or by choosing "Create archive of 'file'" in the Finder's File or contextual menu. It is located in /System/Library/CoreServices/BOMArchiveHelper.app. Prior to its inclusion in, Mac OS x v10.3, many users used the freeware StuffIt Expander for almost all archive decompression."

rpringle
10-12-2007, 09:41 PM
I think were making this more complicated than needed.
A ----.PTN file is not compressed.
But you cannot open it in any program other than Designer.
Start Designer and import the file to the library.
To make changes it must be done in Designer.

Russ

mtylerfl
10-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Hello Russ,

To clarify, a .ptn file from a commercial download source is usually indeed a 'zipped' file. Zipping a .ptn file actually can make it slightly larger in size or keep it exactly the same size (strange, but true). The reason for 'zipping' pattern files is because a file with the .ptn file extension will not be accepted by most commercial shopping cart download services. Even our own Forum (here) had to be modified to be able to accept the .ptn extension - - prior to this fairly recent modification, we had to zip the .ptn files in order to upload them to the forum's pattern sharing section.

Jim has received 'zipped' pattern files and that's why he needs to unzip them before the .ptn files become available for importing. Normally, this is a process that takes about 2 seconds or less!

jimbu
10-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Well I finally figured it out. SO SIMPLE!
Open Carvewright, click on the shell. click on the favorites folder holding down the control key and select "import", a window will open ,scroll to the PTN file you want and click on open. There it is in the favorites folder!!
Many thanks to all who offered suggestions, it was really really appriciated.
Jim

rpringle
10-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Michael T,

Your answer reflects what I suggested.
If it is a ZIP'd file the extension is .Zip or someting close.
It does not have a .PTN extension if it is Zip'd.
If the extension is .PTN it has not been compressed or has already been
de-compressed.

Russ