PDA

View Full Version : Oblong Holes Drilling

MWHinton
10-11-2007, 04:52 PM
My Carve Wright is drilling oblong holes. After working with support they are leaning towards the x-axis funcitons as being the issues but I now disagree.

I ran some more tests with my Carve Wright and I am not thinking the issue is with the x-axis as in the brass roller nor the gears for the sandpaper belts. I inspected everything very carefully and it appears to be fine.

I used designer to create a series of drill operations and set the depth to 0.05" (see attached mpc file). I then ran the file in the machine but installed the 1/16 carve bit and told the machine it was the 1/8 bit. I wanted the tool to barely touch the wood and quickly so that is why the depth was set to such a shallow amount. I would have expected the result to look alot like a center punch. The result of the operation were tiny little ovals which can be seen in the attached file. I also drilled next to them with my drill press so you can see the difference between the round and oval shapes. I am suspecting that the issue lies in the flexing of the tool head as it rotates. Maybe the chuck is not balanced or the bearings have too much play reflecting in the x-axis direction. I watched the belts extremely close and did not see any movement what so ever in the x direction through out the operation. As a result I suspect the other components.

If someone could run the attached mpc file in their machine I would be interested to see what results they get and appreciate it very much. If you do run it please use yout 1/16 carving bit but tell the machine it is the 1/8 bit. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

woodknack
10-11-2007, 11:37 PM
why do you want to use your carving bit for the holes?
try your 1/8 cutting bit and see if you get the same results.

or just make a circle the size you want and set the depth and bit you want. I myself have not tried drilling on the machine yet. But I might try your file in the afternoon and see what it does for me.

MWHinton
10-12-2007, 10:45 AM
My intention is to use the 1/8 bit in a production run of cribbage boards but when I use it, it is drilling oblong holes. So as a test I used the 1/16th to trace the path of the acutal cutting. The 1/16 would provide a very quick and simple touch to the board allowing to clearly see how it is interating with the board.

Hopefully that clarifies your question.

Jeff_Birt
10-12-2007, 11:09 AM
I first would check your down pressure, should be around #85. If it is too low it might cause the board to not contact the board tracking sensor correctly. You might try calibrating your machine as well. You'll need a 3/8" straight bit, the instructions are in the users manual.

MWHinton
10-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Have already checked the down pressure and it runs between 80 and 90 lbs.......

pkunk
10-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Here's the test on my machine-no problem. Nice round holes. Drilled with the carving bit as requested.