PDA

View Full Version : Wow the price of sign foam

RC Woodworks
10-10-2007, 07:47 PM
I got an order for separate letters and I plan to use sign foam. I plan on using my CC if I get them back soon or my SB to cut out each letter to spell Insurance. So I called the closet suppliers in Sacramento Ca. $305.00 a sheet!!!!

Good thing I am charging $1500.00!! But now do I drive 4 hours one way or pay $65.00 for shipping!! No brainer but driving I can see my folks!

Anyway what a sticker shock! No wonder my Uncle charges so much for his signs. Oh well it is only money!

Rick

STEAM
10-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Funny you should bring that up. I priced it today also. It was from a distributor in the Cleveland Ohio area. For 15 pound 1 3/4 thick sheet was $483! Needless to say I will be sticking to pine for a while.

RC Woodworks
10-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Well this is for customer and I charged enough I think!

Rick

castingman
10-11-2007, 06:53 AM
TT Where in Cleveland is this dist., I going to cleveland today and would like to stop. RC nice looking bus ! I am thinking about trading my class A to a grease burner Phaton. Michael

RC Woodworks
10-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks Michael, what is a grease burner Phaton?

Rick

castingman
10-11-2007, 01:08 PM
RC A grease burner is a desiel The phaeton is a motor home built by Tiffin motorhomes. I call desiel a grease burner because it's slimey . Michael

Gman_Ind
10-11-2007, 01:38 PM
I have a job where the customer wants to have signs on some netting, what is the lightest sign foam? is it tough enough to survive a soccer ball hit?

RC Woodworks
10-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Mike, there are various type of HDU products. PVC, Gator foam and the sign foam. Go to www.signfoam.com and you get all the info on the product. Then google Gator foam and PVC. I think all the products would work, but it would be wise to read up on it and call the companies!

I am going to buy the 10lb sign foam and the distributor told me they improved the 10lb and it is more like 15lb. My uncle uses PVC sheets he told me it much cheaper and just as good. But I am going to try the sign soam first. This will be the first time I will be using it, I have known about it since I was 17. I used Gator foam while working for my Uncle, so it has been around for a long time! I know this because I am old!!!

Of course not as old as Paul!!!! He is the same age as my Dad!

Rick

Kenm810
10-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi Rick,

Just finish my ninth 18LB. SignFoam Art Tile panel about a 3 hour carving time each, their all about 12” square to make up a mural for a local Art Gallery and Show. Be careful of the dust, it sticks to every thing, and even with my DD Cabinet it clogged up the Y belt and gear to cause a Y stall error. I got around it by using a little compressed air to blow off the belt and carving head every 10 to 15% of the carving. I also found the fine dust plays havoc with my filters and have to be cleaned between each tile panel. (Air flow dropped about 50 to 75%)
Above all don’t breathe any of the dust as I accidentally did, coughed the rest of that day and into the evening. So Dust mask is a must, even when just pulling the filters.
That being said, the SignFoam cuts and carves like a dream. Cost 4’x8’x3/4” 18LB. $239.94 per sheet, plus SignFoam premium sealer $76.00 per gallon. Job was cost of material plus $75.00 an hour design fee for each tile panel and $60.00 per hour for carving on my CC Machine. The Client is already asking about the next Mural.

ps. 12"x12" SignFoam Test carve

RC Woodworks
10-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks Ken for the heads up and love the mural! I am making cut out letters to spell Insurance and I am charging $1500.00 plus tax. This includes installation. Where do you get the sign foam for that price? I plan on having it shipped anyway. I was given a quote for $303.54 for 10lb and $65.00 shipping. Can you use any primer? I thought you can paint it just like a board?

I plan on using my SB to do this project and I have an vac system on it. Like me know the place you get your sign foam it may be cheaper to get it else where?

Rick

RC Woodworks
10-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Ken, I am going a different rout. My customer wanted plastic lettering, but I thought it would cost too much. I checked the price for foam letters and wow for 9 letters 8 -18 inches tall and 1-24 inches tall would be about $900.00. But for the plastic they would be a little over $300.00. So I knock the price down to $1200.00 plus tax and installation.

Rick

Kenm810
10-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Hey Rick, Just turned on my computer and saw your post

My shop scanner is on the fritz. I"ll post a photo of the catalog page for now and scan it for you when I get home. Wensco is my S/F supplier here, their a few miles from my shop. SignFoam recommends the premium sealer so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm pretty sure others will also work.

Here's another sealer - primer Wensco recommends at $25.00 at gallon.