PDA

View Full Version : Why is the carving always smaller than the scanned object

Semper Fi
10-10-2007, 08:19 AM
My carvings are always smaller than the scanned object, why? Am I missing something or is this the way the software always works? On most carvings this is not a problem, but on some I need to be exactly the same size as the copied piece. Is there a way to do this in the software, or do I have to keep trying to duplicate the measuments the old fashion way?

Thanks,
Ernie

Jeff_Birt
10-10-2007, 08:46 AM
The size difference is due to the difference between the scan resolution of 1/100" and the pattern resolution of 1/128" (on best quality scan). I found scaling the patterns by 128% after placing them on the board in Designer was a pain so I added a 'Life-Size' function to CBPE: http://allcw.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=837#836

Just load you pattern in, select the resolution it was scanned at, press 'Life Size' and now your pattern will be full size (be sure to save it of course).

Semper Fi
10-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks, Jeff...................You're the MAN!!!

Ernie

leesheridan
10-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Jeff, I'm amazed. I'm just glad you have a CC. You always seem to have the solution prior to us asking. Also your willingness to help.
Thank-you

Jeff_Birt
10-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Gosh <blush>. After scaling a scan in X&Y the only other tricky part is making sure the height of the part (Z) is correct when you place it on the board. If you set the 'Depth' to the actual thickness of your original and then set the 'Height' to bring the top of the part up to the top of the board then you should be find.

BobHill
10-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Jeff,

How about making your method of increasing the resolution of a probe scan to Life Size into a detailed tutorial PDF for putting in one's CarveWright notebook? That's a good one.

Bob