PDA

View Full Version : Comic Book Stand

SevenCubed
10-06-2007, 04:30 PM
So my wife Kelli and I are about to go to the Small Press Expo in Maryland next week, and we wanted to build a stand that could show off her comics but still break down and pack flat. After building everything in 3D to get a feel for how it should look, we brought in this template, traced the design, and here's the final product (we originally thought we'd stain/seal it, but for now we're leaving the wood naked). It's a very basic and unadorned design, because she didn't want a lot of "frou frou garbage" taking attention away from her comics. That being said, if I build Another shelf like this, I'm TOTALLLY gonna have ornate crap dripping all over it, now that I know what I'm doing. =D

The wood I used here is 1/4" pine, so we set up the design to carve out two of every piece, and just stuck the two sheets together with some tape.

Now, it took quite a lot of sanding and fiddling to get all the tab As to get in the slot Bs, but mostly that comes from my lack of confidence in the software. The template shown here is a low-res version of the template I brought in and just "outline pattern"ed most of it, instead of carefully graphing out points. In the future, I guess I'll do it the long, slow, way to get that precision, but is it TOO much to ask for a Vector Import feature? If not that, can we have a feature to rotate shapes we just drew? I mean, come on, CW Engineers! "Rotate" is a really basic function. Anyway, It worked out well, and although the CW isn't OPTIMALLY suited for precision machining (notice the lack of folks submitting Wood Inlay pieces, etc.), it still did me proud. And we have a lovely three-tier stand that packs flat into 10 easy-to-replace pieces. =)