PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Create Patterns?

mtnman
10-06-2007, 11:04 AM
How are patterns created for the Carvewright? What software do I use? I have some jpg pictures that I would like to carve but I can not get the detail or results I would like to get. I also have some gif graphics I would like to convert. I have tried converting to 8 bit greyscale yet it does not seem to work right for me. I need to get a 3d effect from what I can tell as I am trying to get a relief carving effect for some scenes. Can someone please help point me in the right direction on how to do this?

Thank You,

Jody

DocWheeler
10-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Jody,

It is not as straight forward as you might think at first. There are many posts on this subject.

Jpg is not a good thing to import - you will learn that by searching for the information. As many have said "...Search is your friend"

You are correct in thinking in terms of grayscale as the carving will use those shades as carving depths. Black is not a deer's nose or the pupil of an eye, it is either the highest or lowest area of the pattern depending on the inversion.

I was looking for a specific example and didn't find it, but the attached will do.

www.go3d.us
10-07-2007, 12:13 AM
It's a long story :)

mtnman
10-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Let us then begin the story. I am sure I am not the only with the question. Many of us would like to take our ideas to a piece of wood. Are there tutorials anywhere on this?

Jeff_Birt
10-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Here is a good place to start: http://www.allcw.com/Tutorials.html

A lot has been written about this very subject on this forum. A good first step would be to do a search of the forum and then ask questions.

To get you started a pattern is a 2D grayscale image where the level of grey is interpreted as the height to carve.

pkunk
10-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Sent you a PM. Read it! You'll be amazed.:rolleyes:

911guy
10-07-2007, 09:59 PM
I am assuming you've used to search tool. My only offering is you really have to experiment with the software to get what you want. There are lots of patterns that folks here have posted...I think lots of people here use a third party software to make patterns like Coral Draw or Abobe Photoshop.

Like the Doc mentioned, jpg format makes a poor carving result. I'm still learning myself.

mtnman
10-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Hey everyone if I came across a bit offensive please accept my apology. I have searched and searched the forums and all the results I was able to find just seemed to sort of skirt the issue. Hence a bit of frustration. Maybe I am not searching correctly. However I appreciate all help in trying to learn the machine and the software. It is appreciated to get more of an answer than just a long story. Again please accept my apology and I look forward to being a part of a great community of woodworking enthusiast and some day being able to share some great experiences and results.

Jody

Jeff_Birt
10-07-2007, 10:59 PM
No apology needed, it just helps those trying to respond/help to know where your coming from. Stating the question something like, 'I've done a lot of searching on the subject of creating patterns and I think I understand X, but Y still seems a bit unclear to me', is more helpful to those trying to help you.

As I mentioned the patterns we create in other graphics programs to use as pattens in Designer are gray scale images where the level of grey determines the height of carving. This is sometimes called a height map. Many 3D graphics programs can output a height map in the form of a BMP or PNG image that we can convert into a pattern with Designer. Try creating a 300x100 pixel PNG in your favorite graphics program. Divide this into three 100x100 pixel squares coloring on pure white one 50% grey and one pure black. Import this as a pattern in Designer and have a look.

mtnman
10-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Jeff,

I see what you mean in regards to the greyscale. I bought your download tutorials and they really help make alot of sense out of all this. However I noticed you use Coreldraw 3x. I used photoimpact to do the test you suggested. My question now are you or anyone familiar with Corel Draw 8 and will this do what I need to do? Coreldraw 3x is $379.00 to buy - wow. Or is there someplace to get it for less?

Thank You,

Jody

Jeff_Birt
10-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Jon Jantz does the Corel Videos, not I. I have watched them all though and refer back to them often. You might check around for better pricing on CorelDraw. I have seen it from around $120 or so, check Ebay (make sure it is not a pireted copy though). I think older versions of CorelDraw will work just as well, Jon would be they guy to ask though. Also the techniques can be applied to other graphics programs as well; although I think the 'contour' tool is unique to CD, other graphics packages can produce gradients in other ways.

mtnman
10-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Jeff,

I got them off of allcw.com. I thought that was your website. However I am curious. Why do you not include Tennessee in your route 66 signs? i live only 3.7 miles off of it. Could be a popular design for this area. By the way I Love your southwestern collection with the Indian Chief and family collection. The next thing I will need to do is figure out how to layer multiple patterns into a pattern to use those.

Jody

Jeff_Birt
10-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Because US Route 66 (federal highway) never ran through Tennessee :D. It ran through 8 states, which are all West of the Mississippi: IL, MO, KS, OK, TX, NM, AZ, CA (in that order from Chicago to Los Angeles). I did make the generic 'Route' 66 sign, even though there never really was such a sign (as far as I could tell in my research).

After, more research it looks like there two different State Route 66's in Eastern Tennessee though. Interestingly enough there are also two different signs. The font used looks very similar to the old US highway font used on the original US Route 66 signs (the one I used) but it would take much more research to be sure.

Did you see the Tips&Tricks that just came out? It has a nice tutorial by CarveBuddy on layering patterns.