PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions from an excited newby

Dusty_Buds
10-06-2007, 09:58 AM
I have not purchased the Compucarve yet. I have been in touch with their facility in Pasadena Texas and because they did not answer my questions completey, I plan to go there for a demonstration soon with my wife. My first question concerns the machine performance in loose grain (like pine). I have heard that the bits burn the cut in pine as opposed to smoother cuts in tight grain (oak)....is this true? Will this machine make Crown Moulding? and if so...how long would it take (approx.) to cut a simple profile in a workpiece 14' x 4 3/4 x 3/4 ? How long will the bits last before they must be replaced? In otherwords....Is the CarveWright Compucarve a viable choice for making 500' a day of crown?

DocWheeler
10-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Dusty_Buds,

The machine was not designed for that type of production, either in speed or component durability. I cringed at the thought of doing what you proposed, possibly from my felt need to protect the machine from abuse and partly from my experience with some of the limitations of the machine.

If you were carving corner-blocks or decorative features to apply to the crown occasionally, I'd say go for it. But to create more than a couple of pieces of crown itself, I would not think it would be appropriate.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think you would be disappointed if you bought the machine for the purpose you stated. It is a great tool, but not a production milling machine for that much material removal.

bobi
10-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I have not purchased the Compucarve yet. I have been in touch with their facility in Pasadena Texas and because they did not answer my questions completey, I plan to go there for a demonstration soon with my wife. My first question concerns the machine performance in loose grain (like pine). I have heard that the bits burn the cut in pine as opposed to smoother cuts in tight grain (oak)....is this true? Will this machine make Crown Moulding? and if so...how long would it take (approx.) to cut a simple profile in a workpiece 14' x 4 3/4 x 3/4 ? How long will the bits last before they must be replaced? In otherwords....Is the CarveWright Compucarve a viable choice for making 500' a day of crown?

The machine is more designed for the hobbist. The warranty is 200 carving hours for non-commercial use. At best detail it advances the wood .005 inches per pass and that would translate to about 45 minutes per foot. So 500 feet per day is out. Cutting pine is not an issue. I don't know if the unit/software will even play with 14 feet carving.

Dusty_Buds
10-06-2007, 11:21 AM
OK Guys. Thanks a million for your quick and informative responses. I suppose the Compucarve is not the machine for me. I'm very disappointed but sadly $2000.00 richer. Thanks again.

Digitalwoodshop
10-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Put your $14.000.00 into a 14 foot table Shop Bot. That will do it for you. Set up a table full of wood and let it run all day.

www.shopbot.com

AL

Dusty_Buds
10-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Put your $14.000.00 into a 14 foot table Shop Bot. That will do it for you. Set up a table full of wood and let it run all day.

Hello Digitalwoodshop...Thanks for the input. ~IF~ I did have $14,000.00 I'm sure I'd make a ShopBot purchase. But I had enough trouble scraping together $2000.00 for the Compucarve which now I see is not what I needed after all.

RanUtah
10-07-2007, 12:01 AM
AL, your link goes to amazon.com? At least it did on my end.

RC Woodworks
10-07-2007, 12:56 AM
The link is www.shopbottools.com, my machine cost $10,000 but they do offer smaller units that may do the crown molding work. SB is suppose to be coming up with a system that is comparable to the CC. It will have the same roller system. Imagine that !!!!! LHR has SB's attention!

I know for a fact they do when I attended SB jamboree I talked to founder of SB and he told me of the new machine they are looking to make like the CC roller system. Plus when I tried to show him CW software he made excuses not to look at at!

Anyway I have carve sugar pine with no problems. I believe the CC can make the crown molding you are looking for Dusty. I am sure it can handle the continual use up to 6 hours at a time with an hour break, but.......... 500' a day I sorry to say it can't produce such a load in a day.

That is about my only complaint about my CC is the speed or lack of. Good luck with your search. You know there are machines out there that are made to just make molding. I can't remember the name. I have seen it in my woodworking magazines. They are a combination planer, molder, ripper. About the same size as a 20" planer.

I hope you find what you are looking for!

Rick

liquidguitars
10-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Power feeder and a Delta shaper is what I use for millwork when making crown, you could get setup for under $3000.00. 500' no prob all day long.

LG

RC Woodworks
10-07-2007, 02:21 PM
That too LG! I just can't remember the machine they advertise in my wood working magazines? It is the size of a 20" Planer or maybe bigger, but it is roller feed like the CC and a planer. You are suppose to be able to put say an 8 ft long board 12" wide and it will cut the board to molding size and then shape it all in one operation.

I don't think I would buy a CNC machine to make just molding! Really limits the machine's capabilities!

Rick

pkunk
10-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Buy a moulder/planer for under $1000 with crown knives. I have this http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1037z