PDA

View Full Version : New machine?

pontiak
10-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Yo Guys. Still miss my machine. Is there a new and improved machine out yet?

Gman_Ind
10-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Same machine new firmware, better IF you are having problems.
a new PCB and connections is out for the Z axis not an improvement as far as our function but simpler with fewer wires and parts= cost savings for CW.
I paraphrase CW staff "This is not an upgrade, but a change in manufacturing." you do not need this, it is just how we will be shipping units from now on."

CustomWestCoast
10-13-2007, 04:20 AM
Here I sit waiting for my 5th Compucarve machine. My first machine lasted 28 hours then the bolts on the back of the Z truck fell off.
I then ordered my second machine and that one lasted 18 hours before the board sensor took a dump.
I then received my third machine and that one lasted an entire hour when the flex shaft began vibrating. I was told to lube the flex shaft with molly. Luckily I still had some moly left over from my first machine. I lubed it and let it set for 24 hours. After reinstalling the flex shaft it still vibrated. Possibly a bad cut motor.
I then recieved my fourth machine. I was crossing my fingers that the flex shaft would be stable. I loaded my pattern on the card and inserted it into the machine. I then loaded the board and ran the program. The machine measured the board with no problem and then asked to load the carving bit. I lifted the lid and attempted to load the carving bit. The quick release collar would not budge. I used both hands to manually move the collar with no avail. I used a couple of drops of 3 in 1 oil to lubricate the collar and let it set for an hour. The collar still would not move.
I called CarveWright in hopes of talking to a tech. I was asked what was the problem that I was having. I explained the problem and was told a tech would promptly return my call (it was 2pm Texas time). Well that was thursday afternoon and it is now Friday night and still haven't heard back from Carvewright. Needless to say my fourth machine had zero hours on it.
I am seriously debating on whether or not to get my fifth machine. I have bought the bit set and the centerline text. I just wish I could use them on a machine that actually works!

Jeff_Birt
10-13-2007, 10:20 AM
CWC, I will give you the same advice I give to all. Slow sown and learn to use the machine. I'm not being mean my friend, just honest. Most of the problems you describe are very minor, the board sensor for example can just get dirty and need cleaned. CW has been great about about sending out replacement sensors when they have gone bad. The quick release chuck needs to be cleaned EVERY time you use the machine (as does the whole machine). In the long run you'll need to know how to do the basic maintenance on the machine such as cleaning the board sensor, changing the traction belts etc.

Dirtydan
10-13-2007, 01:42 PM
While I've been lucky so far and have only had a few occasions to call LHR about problems I've had (Most have been resolved by post on this forum), they have always been very quick and responsive to my needs. The tech's Jody and Chris always have always been very helpful. The young ladies that answer the phone and work in the various areas are very nice and good at their jobs. Over all I've had very positive experiences with them.

Keeping the machine real clean seems to make most problems go away… The Flex-shaft vibration I’ve also notices on a couple of occasions, but it seemed to be related to the type of wood being carved and the direction of the cut (cross-grain most of the time) and I would suppose the sharpness of the bit might also be a contributing factor. The board sensor is mainly a cleaning issue. Granted, the machine design could be a lot better in this respect, there’s no reason why material should get into this area, but it is not hard to clean, so… Now as for the Quick-Release-Chuck (QRC), There’s nothing a little loving force won’t fix here… LOL…. I’ve found that a little 3-in-1 oil works wonders. Is it a pain in the Butt, ‘YES”, but so is working for a living.

krc
11-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Bad Customer Service

On 11/09/2007 I purchased a Compucarve from sears.

On 11/14/2007 with only 6hrs on the machine the “board sensor” went out. I called CW support and work with them to resolve the problem and it was determined that a new “board sensor” was needed. CW said they sent the part on 11/16/2007

On 11/ 23/2007 (one week later) I Called CW to inform them that I didn’t get the part. I was told to give it more time because of the holidays. I agreed

On 11/29/2007 I talked to support (Still no Part) they said “we sent the part on 11/16/2007 so I don’t know what else to do. I will talk to my supervisor and have her call you back” I agreed. My expectation was one hour. No Call.

On 11/30/2077 (12:30 Texas time) I call CW. This time I asked to speak with the customer support manager. When she came to the phone I explained the problem told her I was extremely unhappy and I demanded that CW overnight the part. She said OK and hung up the phone (She didn’t get my name).

As a customer within warranty it affords me the right to have the product repaired. CW has denied this request. I do not expect to see a new “board sensor” for my Compucarve. I will need to resolve this issue another way.

I have a few questions for CW.

1. Why doesn’t CW ship parts by UPS so they can be tracked?

2. Why doesn’t CW realize with all the many problems these machines have people are going to be upset especially when CW support makes unnecessary mistakes.

3. Why shouldn’t I as a customer be able to demand that you overnight the part (keep in mind I have waited over two weeks and the machine is new)?

I will not give up on this machine I find it fun to use. But at some point CarveWright will have competition and now is the time for them to take advantage of their position not destroy it by employing people who get easy frustrated with customer concerns. This issue could have been easily fixed by using common industry standard customer service techniques.

RanUtah
11-30-2007, 02:53 PM
krc, didn't you just post that in another thread?

krc
11-30-2007, 03:04 PM
I removed the post from the other thread. This thread is a better fit. :D

newcarver
11-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Your concerns are valid i think, it sounds like they just plain dropped the ball with you. I would call them and ask to talk to the owner, at this point i think going to the top is the best route.