PDA

View Full Version : Lighthouse Project - Finished

mtylerfl
10-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Hello,

I finished my Lighthouse Project today, so have added the photo of the finished piece. (housewarming gift for a couple at our church)

Wood: Pine
Dimensions: 9.5" x 10"
Finish: (in order of application)
1) Bullseye Sanding Sealer - one light coat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured Alcohol)
2) Stain - Minwax 'Sedona Red' #222
3) Paint - Acrylic Craft Paints
4) Stain - Minwax 'Puritan Pine' #218
5) Clearcoat - Minwax Clear Satin Wipe-On Poly (3 coats)
6) Gold Oval Border - Elmer's Fine Point Gold Metallic Paint Marker
7) "Light Rays" - Common toothpicks, painted gold and epoxied in place

fbridgeford
10-04-2007, 01:12 PM
That's absolutely AMAZING! GREAT WORK! I'm sure they'll love it!

Digitalwoodshop
10-04-2007, 02:09 PM
WOW !!!! That one needs to go on the CarveWright site....

Fantastic....

AL

Kenm810
10-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Michael,

Wonderful Gift, Very nice work. A-1

cajunpen
10-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Now that is a keeper, I'm impressed.

Semper Fi
10-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Mike, that is beautiful!!!! Make sure you post it to the Gallery site ( don't hide your light under a basket!) :)

Ernie

STEAM
10-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Now that is a true work of art. Very,very nice

BobHill
10-04-2007, 06:00 PM
I'll add my praise to that one as well, Mike. Excellent work and a great design.

Bob

mtylerfl
10-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, everybody! Im giving it to the couple on Sunday...now, on to the next project...

(is this machine fun, or what?!)

Lin
10-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Michael, I saw it when you first carved and thought it looked really nice...but with your finishing skills....it is exquisite..Beautiful piece...I wouldn't mind having that one hanging on my wall...I know you have tht lighthouse pattern on yur site. What other patterns did you use on this one?
Lin

www.go3d.us
10-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Beautiful...
HT

dannirr
10-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Any tricks to such perfect text?

Danni

mtylerfl
10-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Michael, I saw it when you first carved and thought it looked really nice...but with your finishing skills....it is exquisite..Beautiful piece...I wouldn't mind having that one hanging on my wall...I know you have tht lighthouse pattern on yur site. What other patterns did you use on this one?
Lin

Hi Lin,

I used one of the scrolls from our Scroll Set 7. Here's the link so you can find it easier, if you need to http://www.carvebuddy.com/scrolls_page_2.html

There are 5 elements that make up the project...
1) one of our scrolls (as mentioned above)
2) our lighthouse pattern
3 and 4) two ovals which I drew in CorelDraw and imported/converted to patterns just for this project
5) and the text typed within Designer which I centerlined cut with a 60° V-Bit

Now for some fun...Here's a little test!>>>Anybody know why I had to do the ovals as patterns instead of simply drawing them with the oval tool in Designer? (Hint: I only really had to do the outer oval as a pattern - the inner oval could have been drawn in Designer.)

See the attached picture for another BIG hint...

mtylerfl
10-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Any tricks to such perfect text?

Danni

Hi Danni,

I just centerlined cut the text with a 60° V-Bit. I also made the text Bold. That way, I would have a deeper (60° bit instead of using the 90° bit) and wider cut (because of the Bold setting). Made it a little easier for me to paint it by hand using a toothpick dipped in white paint.

I probably will not do the hand painted lettering ever again! Pkunk and Digitalwoodshop have a much easier method that I think I will use from now on! That is, paint the letters without too much concern about going outside the recesses, then sand off any excess.

Lin
10-05-2007, 04:49 AM
Don't really know the answer but gonna take a stab at it anyway. Would it be because in designer the oval is a vector cut and can't be broken up like you did but putting the scrolls on it?
Lin

Lin
10-05-2007, 04:59 AM
Michael, I do have another few questions for you. The sanding sealer that you are using. I take it that it is waterbased...(the denatured alcohol added..maybe to keep from rasing the grain?) and why do you dilute it and how are you applying it?..The stains...water based or oil based? And last question...what brand acrylic paints are you using on your projects..Delta?
Lin

dannirr
10-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Michael,

What are trhe dimensions of the project?

Thanks

mtylerfl
10-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Michael,

What are trhe dimensions of the project?

Thanks

Please refer to the first post - all details are there.

mtylerfl
10-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Don't really know the answer but gonna take a stab at it anyway. Would it be because in designer the oval is a vector cut and can't be broken up like you did but putting the scrolls on it?
...Michael, I do have another few questions for you. The sanding sealer that you are using. I take it that it is waterbased...(the denatured alcohol added..maybe to keep from rasing the grain?) and why do you dilute it and how are you applying it?..The stains...water based or oil based? And last question...what brand acrylic paints are you using on your projects..Delta?
Lin

Hello,

The answer to the 'test' is: The Outline Tool will not be available when a combination of patterns and drawn vectors are selected together. So, I was "forced" to create my oval as patterns in order to allow the software to outline the entire perimeter components automatically! See the pictures...

(Lin...I also posted a pic of the finishing materials used for the project to answer your other questions - craft paints are Delta and Apple Barrel brand. I dilute the sealer and quickly brush a light coat over the entire surface so that it won't prevent the stain from penetrating.)

DocWheeler
10-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Micheal,

Thank you very much for figuring that out, it will make things much easier.

gtj44
10-20-2007, 10:42 AM
I was looking for help on centerline text and saw this project you did. Very nice. The centerline text looks like it is carved in a recessed area, if it is, how was this accomplished. I just bought it and am told it won't carve in recessed area's.

mtylerfl
10-20-2007, 02:18 PM
I was looking for help on centerline text and saw this project you did. Very nice. The centerline text looks like it is carved in a recessed area, if it is, how was this accomplished. I just bought it and am told it won't carve in recessed area's.

Hello gtj44,

Thank you. The center oval is at the same level as the top of the board (it's the oval area surrounding it that is slightly recessed). I used the Centerline feature in the conventional way on that project.

The Centerline normally won't carve in a recess area, but I believe you can fool the machine into thinking a carved region is the top of the board by doing a project in two parts...i.e., the carve would be it's own mpc and the text would be a separate mpc. After finishing the "carve mpc", you would then load the "text mpc" and manually jog to a starting point within the carve region. I've not tried it myself, but I'm pretty sure it can be done that way.