PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Two CC !!

RC Woodworks
10-02-2007, 05:33 PM
On September, 26th 2007 while working at the Tehama County fair in Red Bluff Ca. the story begins. Things started off badly, this being the fourth year returning to this fair I expected to set up at the same spot as the last 3 years. This was not the case, another vendor was set up in my space. I brought this problem to the fair manager attention. Telling me a mistake was made, he showed me my space would be the next space. Not being too big a deal I agreed to move. Until another problem was discovered, the food vendor who was next to me last year took my power source. This being their second year they had a different power source the previous year.

I brought this to the fair manager's attention and he moved me across the street to a space near the carnival. This did not make me happy, of course with the food vendors paying 20% of their profits they were able to keep my power source.

On September 27th 2007 at approximately 1600 hours the fairs began. I attempted to use my number 1 machine, but it was having trouble cranking the head up and down. After spraying some lubrication on the crank and the threaded rods it moved better. But still not working correctly.

Then on September 28th 2007 time unknown my number 2 machine began having major problems. It began on the 27th with strange carving noises, sounding much like a UFO! After 2 attempts to cut out the outline with CC # 1 and getting a fatal error. I used CC # 2 and then it happen. Half way through the carving the bit plunged all the way through the board. This occurred again with another project causing an axis' error.

Then September 29th CC #2 knowing it's brother was down tried to take up the slack. Even though it was injured himself. Keeping it going it too felt the pressure and began to make strange noises. Just like Al's ( DigitalWood) machine Christine it became possesed! CC #1 plunged into a project and threw the bit! I discovered the bit chuck became loose, after tighting the chuck I attempted the project again. Another wasted old growth redwood board! It happen again the chuck became loose and ruin another board. Seeing CC #1 was still possessed I performed an exorcism and on the third try the sign came out beautiful!

The fair ended on the 30th and CC #1 although wounded made some wonderful signs. Now like DigitalWood both my CC will be heading for Texas for repair and maybe a proper exorcism! Oh not to mention maybe fixing the CCM again! Both were doing well until recently then CCM!! Good timing I have a few weeks before my back surgery then I can write some more books!!!!

Rick

RC Woodworks
10-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Ok I edited the names to protect the innocent! but Al, it is still your fault your machines possessed mine!!!! LOL

Rick

Digitalwoodshop
10-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Yes, I Laughed Out Loud.... In a GOOD WAY... About your machines.... When a Machine get's the "Christine" syndrome... PMS.... Look out.... I still watch the carving for 30 seconds after every bit change cut.... Expecting it to throw the bit...

It's like I have Post Traumatic Stress over the bit shooting out of the holder.... I just don't trust the chuck anymore with the short bits like the V60.

Good that the timing lets you send both it. My JB Weld fix has held for 9 hours of carving today and still going strong.... Bummer about your Fair Power Problems....

Take Care,

AL

RC Woodworks
10-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Funny thing is I was using a V60 bit, but it threw the holder and bit. The chuck became loose and it seemed to not want to stay tight.

The only problem with the PMS issue my CC are boys!!!! Maybe DSBUS, I will good you figure it out!!!

Rick

Digitalwoodshop
10-02-2007, 09:13 PM
I got that one first time around.... Dreaded it is.....

LOL

AL

RC Woodworks
10-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Your baaaadddddd Al!!!!

LOl

Rick

Digitalwoodshop
10-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Finished painting clocks at 1:30 AM but when I tried to post this I got a Internet error.

Off to get more lumber now.

AL

RC Woodworks
10-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Al, you work too hard my friend!!!

Rick

RC Woodworks
10-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Al, did you make all the clocks with the CC? If so how long does it take and how many can you make? Plus where are selling al of them?

Rick

RC Woodworks
10-03-2007, 10:00 PM
My season is done!!!!! I have to have back surgery to relax!

Rick

Digitalwoodshop
10-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Good Luck with the Surgery.

AL

RC Woodworks
10-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Thank you I need to get off some the medication I am on. Not to mention relieve the pain!

Rick

Digitalwoodshop
10-03-2007, 10:37 PM
My Hot Spindle was the flex shaft in need of lubrication.... After the last Clock finished, I lubed the flex shaft... Just changed the bit with the next clock and the Spindle is back to normal..... Now that is GOOD NEWS....

AL

forqnc
10-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Wow Al, your an inspiration to all of us.
I guess now they are painted, you sand over the surface to remove the excess paint?

Digitalwoodshop
10-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Yes a quick sanding then stain then poly. I got my artwork mixed up yesterday and a few cut with too shallow a circle. Put them back on the carrier board and with just the circle cut them again. Easy and accurate... Using place on end of the board with a 6 inch scrap board on each end and the clock in the middle. Such versatility....

I think for the winter I will take Rick's idea and cut the quilt rack and multi racks with just the holes and the animal. Months later put them on a carrier and just do the centerline text. Will make Special orders go quicker...

AL

forqnc
10-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the Tip Al

Gman_Ind
10-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Oh ya thats getting it done! great way to save time on 'custom' projects, mass produce the basics then customize at point of sale. :cool:

Paul Elliott
10-05-2007, 03:41 PM
That's a great idea, mass producing the static portions of the design and customizing at point of sale.

I'm still a newbie doing test carvings but have a question:
I'm going to use my table router for routing the edges. Will the routed edges cause me grief at point of sale to do the customization? i.e. sensor problems?

Can't see using the CompuCarve machine hours just to do edge routing and the wear and tear as being cost effective.

Thanks, Paul.

Kenm810
10-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Paul,

I do most of my production edge routing on a router table, or by hand, its faster, and It saves some of my Machines warranty hours.

You could use a sled with side rails and end spacers as a jig to mount your project with its static portions and routed edges done.
Then do the customizing at the point of sale as long as the bit finds the projects surface on the jigs rail or spacer.
Plus pieces of masking tape will allow the edge sensor skip over the routed edges.
Or after your set up, jog to the spot for your custom carving, like some folks do.

Kenm810
10-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Al, Just a thought

I’m sure you probably already thought about it, and solved a potential problem we had, when one of my Grand Daughters back into our sons wine rack while playing in their kitchen and pushed one of the shelves off its front support rod and out the back of the rack that started a bottle avalanche out the front of the rack and on to the stone tile floor. – what a mess.

Ps. His support rods happened to be round, I solved His problem with a couple of quick passes on my router table on the under side of each shelf.

RC Woodworks
10-05-2007, 08:11 PM
I want to try to pre cut some patterns on sign blanks, but I only a had a few signs with the same patterns. I guess why I call them custom carved signs!!! The only thing I do in advance is cut my signs blanks. I have slots for 4", 6", 8" 10" and 12" wide and 24" long signs. I also have various widths blanks up to 48" long.

I do have patterns saved for the CC so all I need to do is pulled them up and have the CC carve them. I was thinking to add trim to the signs in advance cop trim etc. Like Al I have always just sprayed paint black or other colors use a brush the letters of my signs raised or recessed and then with my planer I take the excess off. Or sand them with the art work I can paint them then mask tape them and then spray paint them.

As soon as I get my SB together I am going to try mass producing sign blanks. Also with my 2 CC's it is a great idea to use the CNC this way. During the SB jamboree a business owner who make custom doors and mantels, entertainment centers etc. uses his SB to mass produce the common parts. SB even comes with a cabinet software.

I want to venture out to using my CC's and SB to make custom doors with wildlife scenery and garage doors made od redwood or oak etc.

So Al keep up the clock mass production and wine racks!!!

Rick